Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

No more Steamaster Tablets?

Double D
Double D Member Posts: 442
It appears Steamaster Tablets are no longer available. Hopefully this link to Supplyhouse.com will open for you.

http://www.supplyhouse.com/Rectorseal-68732-Steamaster-Tablet

Comments

• Paul S_3
    Paul S_3 Member Posts: 1,261
    I know I cant find them either.... anyone else know where they sell them? would help alot
    ASM Mechanical Company
    Located in Staten Island NY
    Servicing all 5 boroughs of NYC.
    347-692-4777
    ASMMECHANICALCORP@GMAIL.COM
    ASMHVACNYC.COM
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/asm-mechanical-company
  • New England SteamWorks
    New England SteamWorks Member Posts: 1,505
    edited June 2016
    I am thinking it's been replaced by Rectorseal 68742 5.3-Ounce Surgemaster Steam Boiler Treatment. I've ordered some, but have yet to use so no comparison yet.
    New England SteamWorks
    Service, Installation, & Restoration of Steam Heating Systems
    newenglandsteamworks.com
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,583
    I'm pretty sure Surgemaster is totally different than Steamaster.

Best I can tell, only Supplyhouse stopped carrying them, Rectorseal still makes them.

I'm probably going to switch to Rhomar when I run out of Steamaster, only because it seems easier to get with better customer service. Rhomar seems fantastic in that regard while Rectorseal won't even respond to emails.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • hvacfreak2
    hvacfreak2 Member Posts: 500
    Surgemaster is a cleaning product not really a water conditioner. It seemed to do a great job for my system after install , the water level really settled in after I used it. I hope Steamaster is still available somewhere.

hvacfreak

Mechanical Enthusiast

Burnham MST 396 , 60 oz gauge , Tigerloop , Firomatic Check Valve , Mcdonnell Miller 67 lwco , Danfoss RA2k TRV's

Easyio FG20 Controller

• Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Doesn't appear to be available through Amazon anymore either.
    reggi
  • ChrisJ
    Fred said:

Doesn't appear to be available through Amazon anymore either.

They stopped years ago which is why we pushed for Supplyhouse to get them, which they did. Now they dropped them.

I think I bought mine from Amazon back in 2012, and soon after they dropped it.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • New England SteamWorks
    New England SteamWorks Member Posts: 1,505
    Sid Harvey can order them in...
    New England SteamWorks
    Service, Installation, & Restoration of Steam Heating Systems
    newenglandsteamworks.com
    njtommy
  • Double D
    Double D Member Posts: 442
    I used to have a Sid Harvey close to me. They moved out of my area years ago. Where are they now?
  • hvacfreak2
    hvacfreak2 Member Posts: 500
    I just bought 2 bottles at RE Michel . They were in stock at their main warehouse for my area.
    hvacfreak

Mechanical Enthusiast

Burnham MST 396 , 60 oz gauge , Tigerloop , Firomatic Check Valve , Mcdonnell Miller 67 lwco , Danfoss RA2k TRV's

Easyio FG20 Controller

• srmaietta
    srmaietta Member Posts: 40
    Rectorseal 8-Way treatment seems to be the same stuff, turns my water purple... Claims the same benefits as the tablets - in a convenient liquid form!
  • Ban
    Ban Member Posts: 79
    Rectorseal 8-way is not the same. I just checked out the data sheet and its ingredients are different. Also, the important ingredient in Steamaster Tablets are Sodium Nitrate, This is only at 6 % in the 8-way vs 44% in the SM.

Richard Ban
    Detroit, Michigan (Dunham 2-pipe vacuum)
    CLamb
  • Ban
    I just got off the phone with Supply house and they said you may still be able to source the product, somewhere, perhaps locally. Apparently due to the chemical makeup UPS wasn't happy shipping the SM tablets.
    Richard Ban
  • CLamb
    CLamb Member Posts: 272
    Ban said:

Rectorseal 8-way is not the same. I just checked out the data sheet and its ingredients are different. Also, the important ingredient in Steamaster Tablets are Sodium Nitrate, This is only at 6 % in the 8-way vs 44% in the SM.

That's Sodium Nitrite. Sodium Nitrate is a strong oxidizer. I don't think you'd want it in a system.
  • Ban
    edited October 2016
    I was able to find them as mentioned above at Sid Harvey, I found a brach in Michigan and they will be shipping it to me, ironically though UPS. They did want a comercial address.
    Richard Ban
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    edited October 2016

Looks like you can preserve more than your steam system. You can also preserve meats with your high sodium nitrite tablets. Or in case of cyanide poisoning pop a few steamaster tablets
    Double DSWEI
  • RomanGK_26986764589
    RomanGK_26986764589 Member Posts: 229
    They have them at Sid Harvey's. I just bought one from them here in NJ.
  • Paul S_3
    Paul S_3 Member Posts: 1,261
    I found a couple of places in NYC....that stock them
    ASM Mechanical Company
    Located in Staten Island NY
    Servicing all 5 boroughs of NYC.
    347-692-4777
    ASMMECHANICALCORP@GMAIL.COM
    ASMHVACNYC.COM
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/asm-mechanical-company
  • Sailah
    Sailah Member Posts: 826
    I just ordered 2 cases and I'll put it up on Amazon to cover my costs as an easy way to get via Prime.
    Peter Owens
    SteamIQ
    ChrisJRomanGK_26986764589Dave in QCANew England SteamWorks
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,476
    Thanks Peter!

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • zackwatt
    zackwatt Member Posts: 81
    Is 8-WAY a good alternative? Better? Or worse?
  • Dave in QCA
    Dave in QCA Member Posts: 1,785
    Thanks Pete, I'm going to order as my batch from Supply house is now used up. I am sold on this product. I used no treatment in boiler installed in 2012 for first year then started using Steamaster tablets. I flush out the boiler with a wand at the beginning of each season. The amount of muck that flushes out has reduced each year. this year, it amounted only to a very small amount of murkey brown water, like watery chocolate milk. Most everything was clear I think I could have skipped a year, but I'm not going to get in that habit.
    Dave in Quad Cities, America
    Weil-McLain 680 with Riello 2-stage burner, December 2012. Firing rate=375MBH Low, 690MBH Hi.
    System = Early Dunham 2-pipe Vacuo-Vapor (inlet and outlet both at bottom of radiators) Traps are Dunham #2 rebuilt w. Barnes-Jones Cage Units, Dunham-Bush 1E, Mepco 1E, and Armstrong TS-2. All valves haveTunstall orifices sized at 8 oz.
    Current connected load EDR= 1,259 sq ft, Original system EDR = 2,100 sq ft Vaporstat, 13 oz cutout, 4 oz cutin - Temp. control Tekmar 279.
    http://grandviewdavenport.com
  • ChrisJ
    I've been lazy, haven't washed the boiler out. It's still using the same water and Steamaster from spring 2014.

Still clean purple though, so I've got that going for me.
    Dave in QCARomanGK_26986764589
  • Sailah
    Steamaster tablets have been sent off to Amazon fulfillment centers if anyone is looking I'm hoping the east coasters have access within a few days, I know one case was sent to CA.
    Peter Owens
    SteamIQ
    RomanGK_26986764589Koan
  • zackwatt
    Sailah said:

Steamaster tablets have been sent off to Amazon fulfillment centers if anyone is looking I'm hoping the east coasters have access within a few days, I know one case was sent to CA.

Awesome! You're the best!
    Koan
  • Yourself
    Yourself Member Posts: 3
    They are on amazon for sale, I just got some. Only 7 left.

Thanks Peter
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722
    I just ordered a bottle, so now 6 left in stock.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • ChrisJ
    KC_Jones said:

I just ordered a bottle, so now 6 left in stock.

Have you been using them? I can't remember.
  • zackwatt
    I just ordered a bottle to refresh my stock...
  • Sailah
    Once the original 2 cases are gone thats the end of them until I get a new shipment in so grab them while they are there. I will be raising the price a few bucks, I ended up losing money on the last 2 cases, don't tell my boss lol.
    Peter Owens
    SteamIQ
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    I just ordered the last one on Amazon.
    Steve Minnich
  • LionA29
    LionA29 Member Posts: 255
    Just ordered 1 and 6 left!
  • Dave in QCA
    Last week I found a bottom on my shelf that was hiding. I didn't think I had used 2 bottles since they appeared on Pex Supply. But, for good measure, I ordered another bottle just now. Thanks for putting them on Amazon!
    Weil-McLain 680 with Riello 2-stage burner, December 2012. Firing rate=375MBH Low, 690MBH Hi.
    System = Early Dunham 2-pipe Vacuo-Vapor (inlet and outlet both at bottom of radiators) Traps are Dunham #2 rebuilt w. Barnes-Jones Cage Units, Dunham-Bush 1E, Mepco 1E, and Armstrong TS-2. All valves haveTunstall orifices sized at 8 oz.
    Current connected load EDR= 1,259 sq ft, Original system EDR = 2,100 sq ft Vaporstat, 13 oz cutout, 4 oz cutin - Temp. control Tekmar 279.
  • Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    In case anyone is still looking for Steamaster tablets, I noticed that Rectorseal has a product called "Scale Flush." The ingredients and percents by weight listed in section 3 of the MSDS are identical to those in Steamaster tablets. I haven't located a retailer that carries them yet (tried Supply House and Amazon), but I'll keep looking.
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
  • fxrgrunt
    fxrgrunt Member Posts: 157
    In case anyone is still looking for Steamaster tablets, I noticed that Rectorseal has a product called "Scale Flush." The ingredients and percents by weight listed in section 3 of the MSDS are identical to those in Steamaster tablets. I haven't located a retailer that carries them yet (tried Supply House and Amazon), but I'll keep looking.
    Looks like it's available here.

https://wwcsupply.com/rectorseal-68732.html
    Hap_Hazzard
  • reggi
    reggi Member Posts: 510
    Just refreshing the thread as 2 bottles of Steamaster are showing still available... just follow the first post and use the Amazon link in this HH.. post. GL  https://forum.heatinghelp.com/discussion/187735/steamaster-sighted-time-of-post

One way to get familiar something you know nothing about is to ask a really smart person a really stupid question
  • Dave in QCA
    The two bottles mentioned by reggi are now heading my way. Amazon now shows zero available.
    Thanks for the heads up.
    reggi
  • ChrisJ

The two bottles mentioned by reggi are now heading my way. Amazon now shows zero available.
    Thanks for the heads up.

Dave! How could you!

:D
  • reggi
    reggi Member Posts: 510
    @Dave in QCA  Good grab!!
    Went to update and it looks like they came up with 1 more 
    So 1 available at the time of this post 

Link is at HH post
    https://forum.heatinghelp.com/discussion/187735/steamaster-sighted-time-of-post
    One way to get familiar something you know nothing about is to ask a really smart person a really stupid question
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,694
    How can I mute this thread lol
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el