Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Utica SSC A01 Igniter Error

13»

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    It's really kind of a shame: a good boiler and such a beautiful install and a nagging issue like this. I think it's gonna end up being something simple.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • john p_2
    john p_2 Member Posts: 367
    Before, lol. I didn't take a pic of the "after"...
  • john p_2
    Couldn't agree more. I love the efficency, the minimal space it takes up and the lack of noise it makes. I'may sure we"LL get it figured out.
  • 4Johnpipe
    4Johnpipe Member Posts: 480
    I've been in touch with Jason Mangos from Utica he will be calling me when he gets back this week. Pretty smart fellow will let the Utica expert put eyes on this...
    LANGAN'S PLUMBING & HEATING LLC
    Considerate People, Considerate Service, Consider It Done!
    732-751-1560
    email: langansph@yahoo.com
    www.langansplumbing.com
  • john p_2
    Lol, before...
  • todd_ecr
    todd_ecr Member Posts: 92
    John, how many times has it locked out since the board change? Has it worked fine since cleaning the igniter?

Sorry for the delay guys. I too think it would be good to get Jason out there to give things a once over. I will touch base with him and bring him up to speed.
  • john p_2
    Todd, not sure on the number of times it locked out, maybe a half dozen but whatever the number I could no longer reset it.

As luck would have it I was talking with John Langan who told me to clean the probes which I did and it has been running fine since Friday night about 7 PM without a lockout.
  • john p_2
    I installed the new Saniflo condensate pump but am not too happy with the amount of noise the pump motor makes when discharging - wondering if anyone else has had this issue...also there are additional wires I'm assuming they are possibly for a water sensing device for the floor but not sure as the instructions/manual that came with it doesn't give any info what they are for - very strange!

• Leon82
    Leon82 Member Posts: 684
    Mine has extra contacts also, I believe they wire to an ac unit to stop it when the pump has an alarm.
  • john p_2
    Leon, how about the noise of the pump motor...a little loud no?
  • Leon82
    I don't have the same one but yes it startled me the first time mine ran.
  • john p_2
    Is yours made by Saniflo? I really like the built in tray for the limestone/ Quartz chips on mine.
  • Leon82
    No
  • Aaron_in_Maine
    Aaron_in_Maine Member Posts: 315
    The two extra contacts are to shut off the unit in the the case the pump is not working.
    Aaron Hamilton Heating
    ahheating@ yahoo.com
    (207)229-7717
  • john p_2
    Getting used to the noise when condensate pump is discharging. See attached photos of the newly installed base mouldings. Quarry tile on the floor is next...
  • john p_2
    Got two igniter error messages, one yesterday and another an hour ago. Did a reset on the controller and the boiler is up and running again. When look through the sight glass at the glowing bright orange colored igniter, it appears to need to be cleaned once again. I'm curious to know what are the possible causes of an igniter becoming fouled up?
  • Leon82
    I'm only a self declared expert but I feel the exhaust gasses aren't being fully cycled thru your venting. Leaving some to stay in the combustion chamber and gunk up the electrode.

I had a similar experience with a tank less heater and long vent run.

If you can increase the purge fan runtime it may help but that may not be possible. Or replace your 2" vent section with 3".(I think that was what your diagram said a while back)
  • john p_2
    Replacing the 2" with 3" is impossible....The intervals between this and the last time (Feb. 22) I had an igniter error message and subsequently cleaned the igniter & flame sensor has been almost two months. I agree with you that increasing the runtime or speed of the fan if that is possible should do the trick.
  • john p_2
    Woke up this morning to another error code A01 Igniter. I pulled the igniter & flame sensor and cleaned & re-installed them. This time when I turned power back on there was a high pitched sound coming I believe from the blower motor but eventually did go away. I took video of the start up but I am not sure how to upload to view here. See attached before & after pics of the igniter and flame sensor.
  • Leon82
    I looked at your vent diagram again when the vent comes back down the slope and then vertical. Condensation can collect here. A secondary condensent drain should be here with a trap formed in the drain line.
  • john p_2
    Leon,
    There is no piping that is back pitched, trust me. I think I see what you're seeing - the 3rd pc of pipe (in blue w/5' marking on it) from the boiler. I drew it wrong.
  • Leon82
    I thinking the right side where it looks like a 135 degree angle.
  • john p_2
    Leon,
    See attached vent drawing that I marked up to show where it was drawn incorrectly, not piped incorrectly...
  • Leon82
    OK.

What about an inline fan to boost the flow for the exhaust.
  • john p_2
    Uploaded a video on You Tube so the sound could be heard...https://youtu.be/pmdz8fq6MxE
  • Aaron_in_Maine
    I can tell you for a fact that whistle is the water in the boiler needs to be cleaned. I had one do the same thing. I ended up running some fernox cleaner in it then flushing it out and filling it and putting fernox protector in it.
    Aaron Hamilton Heating
    ahheating@ yahoo.com
    (207)229-7717
  • 4Johnpipe
    4Johnpipe Member Posts: 480
    On that heat exchanger and the fact it is only months old. I do not think it is water sound. The trainer I saw drops a marble into the coil and it drops right through...
    LANGAN'S PLUMBING & HEATING LLC
    Considerate People, Considerate Service, Consider It Done!
    732-751-1560
    email: langansph@yahoo.com
    www.langansplumbing.com
  • Aaron_in_Maine
    The one I had was six months after install. The noise will come back and get more frequent. When I flushed the cleaner out I heard something come out through the hose so it could have had something in it but I don't solder I pro press. That same unit had igniter issues this spring after being in for two winters! I cleaned it and had to bring the combustion numbers up it was running at the bottom end of the recommended co2.
    Aaron Hamilton Heating
    ahheating@ yahoo.com
    (207)229-7717
  • john p_2
    X
    Wow, thanks Aaron....interesting.
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    I just had a chance to read this posting, sorry I have been flat out with schools and carrying for my wife. But did I miss it or has anyone done a combustion analysis on this unit?
  • john p_2
    Yes Tim, John Langan did it at startup. I will post it in as soon as possible
  • john p_2
    Tim see attached combustion analysis
  • kaziorp
    kaziorp Member Posts: 3
    i know this is a very old post but did you ever figure this out ? i hate this boiler had only problems with it since day one .
  • john p_2
    Kaz...which boiler are you talking about? If it's my most recent, the SSC the issue had to do with the vent piping and a Utica rep came out and with his laptop connected to the boiler he increased the fan speed ever so slightly and running since.