Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

BRING BACK THE BEAN! - Dan H.

Options

Comments

• RB_2
    RB_2 Member Posts: 272
    Options
    You guys are the real legends!

Without a doubt all you great folks have collectively given the greatest gift any man could ask for...now just how the heck am I supposed to pay you back huh? (eh?)

Every seminar, every presentation, I have ever made with you guys was a learning experience...I always felt like more was coming in than I was giving out - always!

I'll share two stories, which will stand out in my mind forever...the first is about a 70-year old craftsman from Poland who walked in on a seminar and deliberately sat his surly butt right down in the front row and announced that he was there to keep me honest. Based on the enormous size of his neck and shoulders I had no doubts, he at 70 years, was going to do this. By the time we were done talking and sharing he'd told me how generations upon generation of his kin were plumbers and heating mechanics and though his life was tougher than most he had long ago accepted his fate as a Soldier in the wars, his life in a communist country and then as a Tradesman rebuilding the countries he fought in. He spoke several languages, was well read, cultured but he had hands the size of manhole covers and callouses just as thick. When you looked into his eyes you could feel the depth of his soul and if you listened closely you could hear his life stories playback not in a digitized sound of today but in the scratchy sounds of an old phonograph...he was a Warrior, a Plumber, a Husband, a Father, and a Friend and he was there to make sure I told the truth.

The second story is about a legend named Robert Chevrier, C.A.. Robert by trade was a Charted Accountant and was the CEO of Westburne Industries. Robert's number one objective was taking Westburne from being a good company to a great company. Westburne was doing about $2.0 US Billion in revenues when Robert crystallized the shareholder value and sold the company. It was rumored that Robert had an office but no one ever saw him in it. Why? Because he realized the only way to figure out what was real and what was rhetoric was to live with his team. He was always on the road with the troops in the field. Robert was the corporate worlds version of a "fighting man's General." Robert,my Dad,my Brothers (are all accountants) and share the same principals.

Whenever I'm invited to stand up and share what I have learned and experienced as a tradesman, designer or businessman...I remember the legacy of these guys because in as much as they live completely different lives they live their stories.

In closing, I have been deeply touched by all of your kind words and am forever grateful for allowing me into your world...and if I'm fortunate enough to get back in the game doing what I do best...I'll continue to keep my eyes, ears and heart open for you tradesmen or accountants who with the deep souls and big mits are right there in the front row keeping me on the straight and narrow, because my respect goes out to you who are building up your own legacies living the real story out there on the construction sites - every day of the week.

rb
  • Riles
    Riles Member Posts: 84
    Options
    Perfectly articulated

Robert continues to convey his thoughts as well as anyone I know.

Your tremendous talent better not sit idly. We need your continued contributions to this industry.

Your thought provoking discussions charge us all to be better.

Best of luck always.

Keep in touch.

Jeff Riley
    "Riles"
  • Terry
    Terry Member Posts: 186
    Options
    Sorry to Hear that

Geez Robert, I'm sorry to hear bout whats goin on. Like the rest, I hope you remain in the industry. We'd be at a loss with you.

I still remember 10 Yrs ago when you joined Dejaegher, I was so impressed with your aptitude & knowledge. Always on the cutting edge of technolgy (Powerpoint presentations when some companies didn't own a computer yet - or at least how to use them)

If your still playin guitar, we should start that band and tour the country.

Stay well & best of luck my Friend!

Sincerely,
    Terry Trommeshauser
    Frontier-Supply
  • PJO_2
    PJO_2 Member Posts: 36
    Options
    From a \"Wethead Wannabe\"....

Gents,

I have read all these posts, and though I am just a slightly whacked H.O. I am amazed at the loyalty to a single person. Robert, you must be a hell of a guy...and I mean that in only the most complimentary way. I have read your stuff, and have felt your positive energy from this far away...I look very forward to meeting you someday.

You seem to have the combination of passion, knowledge, communication and principals that most only dream about. Whatever you choose to do from here will be great...that seems to be a given.

Take care, PJO
  • Bill Wright_3
    Bill Wright_3 Member Posts: 7
    Options
    RB

Robert,

My respect for you continues to grow ... you truely are THE clas act in the industry. I would say "too bad for Danfoss" -- but they are a good company & will press on as good companies do. Real men are willing to stand for something, to drive a stake in the ground ... and then defend it. Thanks for standing your ground and being honorable.

Give me a call when you get a chance.

Always your friend,

Bill Wright
  • John@Reliable_2
    John@Reliable_2 Member Posts: 104
    Options
    While I have never met........

Mr. Bean I think PJO has said how I feel too.John@Reliable
  • The Pirate
    The Pirate Member Posts: 1
    Options
    The Beaner for Prime Minister

What more can be said Robert???
    The only challenge left awaits you in Ottawa. From The Wall there must be at least 6 or 7 of us Canucks who would vote for you in a heart beat! All the best!

Captain Hook
  • Terry
    Terry Member Posts: 186
    Options
    Prime Minister

we could use one !
  • CRASH
    CRASH Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Bean has my vote!

Prime Minister Bean has a nice ring to it (what's the worst that can happen??)
  • Dave L_4
    Dave L_4 Member Posts: 26
    Options
    The Bean

Robert I haven't been on the wall in a while, and was kind of shocked to see this string. I have had the pleasure of your seminars & the pleasure of your company over a couple of beers. I wish you all the luck in the world & am quite sure you will land on you feet. Peace be with you!
  • Michael B
    Michael B Member Posts: 179
    Options
    Robert

you know how much you mean to this little wholesaler from Chicago. Able Distributors is a better company and I am a better person for having been your freind and student. Please stay in touch and if there is anything we can do for you now or in the future you let us know and we will be by your side that very next minute.

Michael
  • RB_2
    Options
    Judge Roy....for Prime Minister?

Judge Roy Bean for Prime Minister...only a pirate could conceive that...(hiya Brian!)...What a thought...could I fish in the pond at the back of the PM House? Hey...maybe I could set out the goose decoys on the front lawn instead of those pink flamingos's! Better yet...Terry and I could sit out on the porch struming tunes from Deliverance...on a roll....

Put me in coach.

rb
  • Steve Thomas (Foley Mechanical)
    Options
    Respect

Very few people have earned my respect in this world, and you happen to be one of them. I sincerely hope everything works out in your favor.
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    Options
    Ruminating on Robert

I had the pleasure of meeting Robert at Wetstock 1. I only spent 10-15 minutes or so chatting with him, but I was struck by his, what I like to call, "quiet knowledge". Non-assuming, articulate,layers and layers of education, and a great listener. We covered some topics, and I knew I had to break off before I came up with more questions than we had time to discuss.

Whatever Robert decides to do, he will excell at it. If he does not go into consultation, and decides to go the manufacturer route-it will be one fortunate company to have him on staff.

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • David Sutton_2
    David Sutton_2 Member Posts: 63
    Options
    bean !!!!!

bring back the bean.!
    bring back the bean !

bring back the bean !
    now evryone join in....

bring back the bean !
    bring back the bean !

now those with out cable modem

b r i n g b a c k t h e b e a n !
    b r i n g b a c k t h e b e a n !
  • Roy Collver
    Roy Collver Member Posts: 5
    Options
    The Bean Man

No problem.

As M.E. said, the Danfoss loss is someone elses gain. No one can ever accuse Robert of letting his job get in the way of his principles. I don't understand why anyone would even entertain the thought that Robert would leave this industry. He is a True Believer in hydronics. He would have a hard time breathing right if he was in another industry. Robert is like a cat - guaranteed to land on his feet.

I might actually be able to nail his feet to the floor long enough to have that lunch we have been talking about for the last two years. Seems neither of us has been in Calgary at the same time.

How about setting up a wethead breakfast during the Stampede this year Robert? Could be fun, buying breakfast for all of these fine Wallmeisters.
  • Jim Walls
    Jim Walls Member Posts: 49
    Options
    Mr. Bean

Unfortunately, I have not had the pleasure of meeting him.
    But after reading not only your glowing reviews, but also the post he sent 4/14. I want to post in support. Always stand behind a man who stands on principle.
  • mike glass
    mike glass Member Posts: 53
    Options
    The Bean

I back anyone who stands on principles also. There is much work that my company refuses to perform because of this very thing standing in our way of making money!! Kudos!!!

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • RB_2
    Options
    Canadian bacon and manhole covers...you bet!

We can take a page from Able Distributors..."Rules of Barbequing"..."great customers at the order desk deserve to be served the best we got"...start heat'n up the grill...

rb
  • Steve Ebels
    Steve Ebels Member Posts: 904
    Options
    Band? BAND????!!!!!!!

Did you say band? What kinds of music and do you need a bass player? I think I can still run a few good riffs on the old Fender. If you're playing in Michigan give be a shout.

Best wishes to you with whatever you get into Robert!!

And to everyone....... A Happy and Joyous Easter!
  • Jim Walls_2
    Jim Walls_2 Member Posts: 71
    Options
    putting Mr Bean on top

• DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,544
    Options
    Well on the way

to making the Bean Thread the longest in Wall history. Onward!
    Retired and loving it.
  • Roy Collver
    Roy Collver Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Bean stories

I always wondered why the room behind Robert always seems to light up every time he bends over. Pretty amazing tribute buddy!
  • Terry H.
    Terry H. Member Posts: 73
    Options
    Is Robert

leaving the wall also? I hope not. He's too valuable to the industry to not get picked up by someone. I half-expected to see a post from him annoncing a new employer by now. Good luck Robert, take your time and get the job you want.

Terry H.

P.S. Come back soon
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    That's why we need to

BRING BACK THE BEAN!
    Retired and loving it.
  • RB_2
    Options
    Just like a Dr. Seuss story....I'm here and there

You guys are having way to much fun...which is why this is a great place to hang out...Wherever I end up the first round of beers are on me (as in - Steve I'm buying...not looking for a beer bath!!!!)

I've listed some of my favorite bits of wisdom which have occasionally graced the business seminars we've put on in the past...

Much like those who sculpture ice, clay, rock or wood, business visionaries begin with the end in mind and so the objective is not to build up but remove that which doesn't belong.

There is no greater pleasure in design and construction than to enjoy with ones senses that which has evolved from the creative mind and passionate soul into form and function.

The success of any venture is based on ones ability to communicate a message resulting in action. Unfortunately over 90 % of communication is non-verbal. Reducing the risk of communication failure requires face to face contact delivering messages to ones smell, taste, vision, hearing and feelings.

Continuous development of new products and services is the quintessential driving force in market creation. The real challenge for a product development team is deciding on which product and services fulfill the purpose and vision of the business for long and short term offensive and defensive positioning.

By the very definition, to be a market leader one must have followers...and followers generally do not get credit for innovative ideas, products and services.

Humans are the multi dimensional software (people) which brings the one dimensional hardware (financials) to fruition. Essentially every great company I know of is a software developer.

Our overnight success story took decades of public relations efforts to lend credibility to our stuff.

Often we throw sales, advertising and marketing into the same box but marketing is not about thinking inside or outside the box...marketing is about creating new boxes, it is the driving force in any business.

The ultimate leadership strategy is to create new categories for innovative products,ideas and services, identify the "new brand", then through public relations establish yourselves as the leader...this is the true essence of marketing.

...and this one of my favorites...

It is a whole lot easier to buy from someone who eats their own cooking.

Hiho Hiho I'm off to Canada's own SARS City then down to the "Land of the Free and Home of the Brave" to meet some old friends (sans the sars)...will be back in a week.

Thanks again - you folks are the absolute best!

RB

• DanHolohan
    Options
    Forever

an inspiration.

BRING BACK THE BEAN!!!
    Retired and loving it.
  • Cosmo
    Cosmo Member Posts: 159
    Options
    What's going on here?

I have been away from the "WALL" for a while, and when I saw this thread I shivered. I once had a question about the zcp panels, and e-mailed Mr. Bean. The next day I got a call, and all the information I could have wanted was in front of me within days.
    I am only a small shop, and I split my sales between Heating, Plumbing, and A/C work. I do not buy vast quantities of material. But to know that there are manufacturers reps out like Robert Bean who WILL even help me (or get someone who can) is a great comfort.
    Above all this, to see how he is conducting himself right now shows me that he really is a class act. No matter where he ends up next he will undoubtedly make that company MUCH more profitable just with his name on their letterhead.
    Good Luck Mr. Bean, hopefully some day some where I can attend one of your seminars.....

Cosmo
  • Andy N.
    Andy N. Member Posts: 53
    Options
    Bring back Mr. Bean

I have never met Mr. Bean but he took the liberty of sending me a ton of great information which I use regularly in my Hydronic classes at school. He helped me to become a better instructor. Thanks and good luck,

your friend

Andy Nord
  • Richard Miller_2
    Richard Miller_2 Member Posts: 139
    Options

BUMP
  • John Starcher_4
    John Starcher_4 Member Posts: 794
    Options
    Hey RAM.....

....BUMP right bach atcha!!

This should be #70.

Robert, your last post blew me away. I would love to meet you some day.

Starch
  • Richard Miller_2
    Richard Miller_2 Member Posts: 139
    Options
    Whoa partner!

Only an old timer here would know to call me RAM! LOL. Oh the memories flooding my mind.
  • John Starcher_4
    John Starcher_4 Member Posts: 794
    Options
    Scary, ain't it?

See my post about "history question"

Seems like yesterday, doesn't it?????

Take care,

Starch
  • Jim Walls_2
    Options

Does this officially make me a "Bean" counter :-)( Sorry Robert, no offense meant,)
  • ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Options
    # 74

Hey Danfoss " Wheres the Bean ? "

Its the post that keeps on giving.

• DanHolohan
    Options
    Indeed!

We should get some Bean buttons. Who's got a slogan?
    Retired and loving it.
  • Jim Walls_2
    Options
    Slogan

When it comes to hydronics Robert has "Bean there done that"
    Robert was the "fibre that held Danfoss together" "So ya (Soya) need to bring back the Bean"

• Mike Lampkin_2
    Mike Lampkin_2 Member Posts: 124
    Options
    How about......

If you like our "Bean", we'd like to "Hear" from you.
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    Or

Honk If You Love Bean!
    Retired and loving it.
  • Mike Lampkin_2
    Mike Lampkin_2 Member Posts: 124
    Options
    Or, how about....

If you want to reach the TOP, use the "Bean" stock
This discussion has been closed.