Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
If our community has helped you, please consider making a contribution to support this website. Thanks!

Propress...this is leaking right?

Options
FloMo201
FloMo201 Posts: 75
edited October 6 in THE MAIN WALL

Good morning all,

This fitting is on my heating system. Thoughts….leaking? I have boiler service scheduled for thursday.

Thank you, Flo.

10257.jpg 10262.jpg

Comments

  • leonz
    leonz Posts: 1,945

    Have it repaired with new copper pipe, fittings and lead free solder.

  • HydronicMike
    HydronicMike Posts: 443

    Do you have glycol in the system?
    Either way, I've never had a problem with Viega fittings.

    Ironman
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Posts: 28,387

    it could be lack of proper prep on the tube, or the tool out of calibration

    Even with a proper press, they sometimes develop micro leaks. Glycol seems to be more prone to that green fuzzing

    An opinion from one manufacturer on glycol systems

    IMG_3415.jpeg
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Posts: 7,565
    edited October 6

    I don’t see the dimples on the fitting to show that it was pressed properly.


    might be able to clean it up and re-press it but it’ll probably have to be cut out

  • FloMo201
    FloMo201 Posts: 75

    @HydronicMike , no glycol in the heating system.

    @pecmsg , the dimples are there, just hard to see due to the black staining. To me, they look the same as the dimples on the fitting above it.

    This was installed about 6 years ago and I do not recall ever seeing the green residue. I recall black staining on the pipe but not on the fitting itself….I always though the black was from a sharpie.

    Thanks, FloMo

  • FloMo201
    FloMo201 Posts: 75

    All…I wiped away some of the residue from one side of the fitting. This should give you all a better vantage point. Thank you all, FloMo

    20261006_134024.jpg
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Posts: 21,063

    Either way it is a very small leak. Not an emergency but if the system is drained for any other reason, it should be fixed

    pumpcontrolguy
  • FloMo201
    FloMo201 Posts: 75

    Thank you all. You are all so very helpful and it is very much appreciated.

    Flo