Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

The "I don't care" guy.....

Options

Comments

• Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,049
    Options
    And to think someone paid $$ for this...Mad Dog 
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,917
    Options
    That' no my Lav, so I certainly don't care about this!

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

Mad Dog_2GGrossIntplm.Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,870
    Options
    Mad Dog_2 said:
    And to think someone paid $$ for this...Mad Dog 
    And thought it was right!
    Mad Dog_2
  • Mad Dog_2
    Options
    "Hey...bro...what do u want??? It aint leakin' and the faucet works!!"  Mad Dog 
    delcrossv
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,538
    Options
    Chubby Checker would approve. 
    Retired and loving it.
    Mad Dog_2
  • Waher
    Waher Member Posts: 252
    Options
    No flex seal and or duct tape?
    Mad Dog_2
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,981
    Options
    Looks like a commercial repair replace job on a late Friday afternoon. Do and done.
    Mad Dog_2
  • Alan Welch
    Alan Welch Member Posts: 268
    Options
    I think it more likely a plumber wasn't involved, and whoever tiled behind the sink removed it for tiling and reinstalled when they were done.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,572
    Options
    Sometimes you run into this on electrical. The first thing I used to do is ask what the wall finishes in the bathroom and kitchen will be, as well as the rest of the house. Are we going with 1/2" sheet rock or is it tile or something else. You need to know to get the boxes set the correct depth. The front edge should be flush to no more than a 1/4 back in noncombustible material and flush in combustible material.

Sometimes after the boxes are all nailed in and the rock is hung they change their mind and put-up tile or wood paneling.

You can't move the boxes with the rock up so you end up with rinky dink box extensions or a crappy job.

Not always the plumber or electricians fault. although crooked drain could have been easily fixed with an elbow or maybe 2.
    Mosherd1
  • Mustangman
    Mustangman Member Posts: 106
    Options
    Where are the chrome nipples and escutcheons? They have this handy thing called a split ring escutcheon if you forget to put it on your nipple when you are assembling the nipple and valve. I'm sorry but work like that makes my skin crawl.
  • Mad Dog_2
    Options
    And then, the rare, I DO CARE GUY! Another public bathroom.  Mad Dog 
    delcrossvCLambSuperTech
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,642
    Options
    Mad Dog_2 said:

And then, the rare, I DO CARE GUY! Another public bathroom.  Mad Dog 

IDK, installing a used escutcheons isn't very cool in my eyes.
    ChrisJ
  • Intplm.
    Options
    @ratio Those escutcheons rust quite easily. It's probably not used per se. I think @Mad Dog_2 is showing is work that has been done sometime ago and not recently.
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,642
    Options
    :disappointed: I was making a funny. With raising three boys, I know all too well what happens to any metal near a toilet.

Professionally speaking, the offset is rather well done. It takes skill to get it to run plumb like that.

• Mad Dog_2
    Options
    It's urine.damage ...easy fix..split escutcheon...isnt that bend nifty?  Mad Dog 
    Intplm.LRCCBJ
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,734
    Options
    Mad Dog_2 said:
    It's urine.damage ...easy fix..split escutcheon...isnt that bend nifty?  Mad Dog 
    It's also a place where those chrome looking plastic ones can actually benefit.  I don't think they corrode.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    Intplm.Mad Dog_2LRCCBJ
  • Mad Dog_2
    Options
    When I first started in mid 1980s, you could still get solid brass, chrome plated pipe escutcheons.  7 out of 10 plumbers can't spell escutcheon....5 out of ten leave the B out of plumber..ha ha.  Mad Dog 
    MikeAmann
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,734
    Options
    Mad Dog_2 said:
    When I first started in mid 1980s, you could still get solid brass, chrome plated pipe escutcheons.  7 out of 10 plumbers can't spell escutcheon....5 out of ten leave the B out of plumber..ha ha.  Mad Dog 
    You mean "discussions"

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    PC7060Mad Dog_2
  • LRCCBJ
    LRCCBJ Member Posts: 137
    Options
    Mad Dog_2 said:

7 out of 10 plumbers can't spell escutcheon....

9 out of 10 engineers............... :)
  • Mad Dog_2
    Options
    Storm Leader = "Liter."

Mad Dog 
    ChrisJ
  • MikeL_2
    MikeL_2 Member Posts: 490
    Options
      After many attempts at bending " flexible " CP or rough brass supply tubes I became quite good at it; especially after several confrontations with my boss about wasted time & materials.
       I was a 90 lb weakling when I started in the trades so it took a while to develop the hand strength & finesse needed to execute picture perfect offsets.
      I stopped using plastic top nuts after several split & flooded the buildings; residential & commercial. Night time pressure spikes on public water supply systems, and residential pressure switch failures coupled with quick closing ballcock water hammer can do a lot of damage including fractured toilet tanks...

Mad Dog_2
  • Mad Dog_2
    Options
  • Mad Dog_2
    Options
  • neilc
    neilc Member Posts: 2,705
    Options
    that's so it doesn't get confused with the light switch
    known to beat dead horses
    Mad Dog_2
  • Mad Dog_2
    Options
    It's  a Guard ! Thats it..Mad Dog
  • PRR
    PRR Member Posts: 151
    Options
    Mad Dog_2 said:

It's  a Guard ! Thats it..

Agreed. I have 2 switches top of my cellar stair. My dad visited and said "I think I flipped the wrong switch". He had and it was too easy to do. I put duct-tape to deter further flippery that visit, got the red metal strap to go over permanently, then got fancy with a Big Red Paddle STOP switch. Nobody thinks it is a light-switch!
    I got the "not saw-safe" model. If it said "Magnetic" it would latch-out on power failure, which is good if your thumb is in the saw, but not usually needed for tame burners.

Mad Dog_2
  • Intplm.
    Options
    This is a guard you can also use.

They come in solid colors as well as the clear type shown here.
    Mad Dog_2
  • Mad Dog_2
    Options
  • Mad Dog_2
    Options
    Found another one....I'd be afraid of an arc fault that used the gas pipe as it's victim and go BOOM!!! May not happen in a Million years, but...... Mad Dog 
  • Condoman
    Condoman Member Posts: 91
    Options

I'm raising an 8 foot length of fin tube in preparation for hardwood floor. The house was re-plumbed with fin tube & PEX before I bought it. The fin tube in this room had 4 screws holding it to the wall though it was loose. Not one of the screws was into wood. I guess it looked OK in the beginning.

Mad Dog_2
  • Mad Dog_2
    Options

Stud-finders cost $$ you know! If you put enough screws in to the sheetrock, It'll hold until after the closing. That's that mentality of "that guy." Mad Dog