Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Extreme Left Jaw Pain leads to many things.....and there is more!

Options
JUGHNE
JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,068
edited February 14 in THE MAIN WALL
This is to point out a little known symptom of bad problem ahead.

Two weeks ago at 2 AM I was awaken by extreme left jaw pain, some left shoulder and minor left chest pain. IIRC, BP pushing 200 PSI.
We go to the local hospital 10 miles away. Within 30 minutes the Life Flight Helio is enroute. Get a 100 mile ride in 45 minutes.

Triple heart by-pass the next day.

Come home 5 days later.

I have had jaw pain occasionally when walking some distance and never thought much of it.
Was on no meds at all, good BP and quit smoking about 30 years ago.
But overweight and gaining as I do little real work lately and probably little in the future.

So just throwing this out as an additional warning sign that is seldom mentioned.

ethicalpaulWaherIntplm.Larry WeingartenreggiChrisJCLambkcoppSTEVEusaPASlamDunkAlan (California Radiant) ForbesPC7060MikeAmannBob HarperEdTheHeaterMan

Comments

• SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,171
    Options
    I'm glad you are ok as well.  

I had something similar but less severe once. Extreme pain on the right side of the jaw. Somehow it was caused by an infected tooth on the opposite side of the jaw, a root canal took care of it. The dentist couldn't explain why only the right side hurt like crazy when I had nothing wrong on that side. 
    JUGHNE
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,705
    Options
    Best wishes toward your recovery! I'm sure your doctor will have a nice cardio recovery exercise regime for you!
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
    JUGHNE
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    Glad to hear you’re doing okay.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    JUGHNE
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,640
    edited January 31
    Options
    Scary, especially a ride in an aircraft with the flight characteristics of a brick.

When things get too quiet at home, I tell Mrs. ratio that I keep heading off to the right when I walk. Gotta love health care professionals!

ethicalpaul
  • RickDelta
    RickDelta Member Posts: 403
    edited January 31
    Options
    Glad your ok Jughne!!

When I would get a little chest pain (slight indigestion sensation) I would simply turn over and its gone.
    That night, the slight chest pain would not go away and just stayed with me.
    this was strange, so I decided to go to hospital to get it checked out.
    Triage said "no heart attack" : )
    Was a stay over for a closer look in the AM.
    Quad by-pass the next day!
    Recovered in less than 1/4 of the time normally.
    No pain to even mention throughout the entire ordeal.

..... doctor said, I can tell you now, If you did have a heart attack at home that night ........ you wouldn't have made it to the hospital! : (

Take care everyone!
    CLamb
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,313
    Options
    Yikes! @JUGHNE, I'm so sorry that this happened to you and am glad you were able to get medical help quickly. Thanks for sharing your experience with us and for that important warning sign. All my best for your speedy recovery!

President
    HeatingHelp.com

JUGHNEEdTheHeaterMan
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,562
    Options
    @JUGHNE

Glad you got the help you needed quickly and are on the mend. best wishes.
    JUGHNE
  • Grallert
    Grallert Member Posts: 644
    Options
    Oh boy that's scary, Glad you got to it in time.
    Miss Hall's School service mechanic, greenhouse manager,teacher and dog walker
    JUGHNE
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,191
    Options
    Amazing how quickly the medical profession can respond to serious conditions like this. Good news you are here to talk about it.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    JUGHNEMikeAmann
  • JUGHNE
    Options
    The helo ride would have been fun if you could sit up.
    As it is your feet seem to be stuck under the dash, then you are swung in like on a ladder rack, the ceiling is about 12" above your head. Pilot and 2 paramedic on with you.

There were some big boys who could not fly on the Helo and had to use the fixed wing as they pushed 300lbs. Weather also determines what craft might show up.

The local hospital gets on line with cardio people in Sioux Falls SD to monitor your situation.
    The hospital in Norfolk NE is affiliated with them. The order for the Helo is made from SD.

Everyone who touches you seems to want to put another set of "pasties" on your chest, you run out of hair eventually.

Yes, I was very lucky that the angels were around.

Thanks to all.
    Larry Weingarten
  • WMno57
    WMno57 Member Posts: 1,315
    Options
    Glad you made it. Best wishes for your recovery. You can do it.
    I DIY.
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,012
    Options
    I had jaw pain like that once. Sparring Valastro, Heavyweight, beefy 18 year old. I was a 16 Year old middle weight. Hit me with a hook and caught me breathing out of my mouth..(a Real No no in boxing!).  Heard a loud pop and saw stars.  Definitely thought my jaw was broken...Who knows? Still pops  when I open wide 40 years later...ha ha 😂 🤣 😆 😄 Mad Dog 
    CLambLarry (from OSHA)SuperTech
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,538
    Options
    Thank God you’re okay. 
    Retired and loving it.
    EdTheHeaterMan
  • GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 1,918
    edited March 21
    Options
    Glad you're alright! The heart is a scary thing, these issues run deep in my family. I always wanted to ride in a helicopter but was too scared to do it willingly. Then I fractured my spine in the middle of nowhere Montana, 40 miles from a road and got my ride
  • SlamDunk
    SlamDunk Member Posts: 1,587
    Options
    My father in law went through the same thing. Just a heads up, everyone knows the signs of a heart attack but few people will tell you about the severe bouts of depression that you may experience after your chest has been cracked open

My FIL, a strong, happy man, would get sad and start crying for no apparent reason. A lot of doctors are unaware of this fact. Whatever it is, it does go away but it may help if you are aware of this. I am happy you survived!
  • JUGHNE
    Options
    So the story continues, last week my 44 year old son come up to visit, we went out to lunch on Wednesday.

He started to complain of chest pains and his heart was racing. So off to the ER that is 10 miles away.
    He too got the Helio ride to the same hospital I went to.
    He had 2 arteries that were 40 % blocked, they were opened with "clot buster" injections and he drove himself home, about a 100 miles, that same day.

As he was in the hospital for 3 days his family come up bringing the granddaughter with the runny nose.
    So my wife came home with the Influenza A and I now have it also.
    Our daughter also went home with it.
    But oddly enough the son's family has no symptoms, other than the runny nose child.

So at least the chest incision is healed enough so coughing and sneezing is not too painful.
    If you never had the misfortune to have your sternum sawed open and spread apart and wired back together, it might be like coughing with broken ribs.

Slamdunk, they did advise about the depression that could occur, that hasn't hit me...yet.

I thank every one for their comments and best wishes. <3
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,562
    Options
    TG your son got treated and is ok.

Now your on orders you have had enough troubles for now so knock it off :):):)
    JUGHNE
  • SlamDunk
    SlamDunk Member Posts: 1,587
    Options
    Gee-Zus!

They say Bad things happen in threes. You should be free of bad things happening for the rest of your long, healthy life!
    JUGHNEPC7060
  • PC7060
    PC7060 Member Posts: 1,163
    edited February 15
    Options
    Omg, your family has had a rough month!  Hope you both are doing well!

JUGHNE
  • MikeAmann
    MikeAmann Member Posts: 998
    Options
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,904
    edited February 16
    Options
    JUGHNE said:

This is to point out a little known symptom of bad problem ahead.

Two weeks ago at 2 AM I was awaken by extreme left jaw pain, some left shoulder and minor left chest pain. IIRC, BP pushing 200 PSI.
    We go to the local hospital 10 miles away. Within 30 minutes the Life Flight Helio is enroute. Get a 100 mile ride in 45 minutes.

Triple heart by-pass the next day.

Come home 5 days later.

I have had jaw pain occasionally when walking some distance and never thought much of it.
    Was on no meds at all, good BP and quit smoking about 30 years ago.
    But overweight and gaining as I do little real work lately and probably little in the future.

So just throwing this out as an additional warning sign that is seldom mentioned.

Boiler pressure (BP) getting near 200 PSI is not normal. Did you check the see if the relief valve was operating? I think they should blow off at about 30 PSI. It is important to operate relief valves at least once a year according the the manufacturer's instructions.

Good to know that you are alright. Looking foreword to more posts about boilers. Get well soon.

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,698
    Options
    I'm glad you and everyone else are ok.