Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Help with heat loss and finishing existing design details_1

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Mike Krall
    Mike Krall Member Posts: 140
    edited December 2022
    Options

I'm wondering a thing I figure someone here will know. Lochinvar Knight wall boilers have supply and return, outlet/inlet, at both top and bottom. Can a person use one of each... like supply out the top and return out the bottom?

Mike

hot_rod said:

I think so, they just tee together inside the jacket anyway.

I did modify mine to come out the side at the dimension of the Sep 4. The tube they use is not 1-1/8" copper, fittings are real sloppy on it. So I went back to the HX to rebuild it.

I yapped with Lochinvar. Yes, using top for one and bottom for the other is absolutely fine.

Yup, I know you wouldn't advise modifying with one or the other out the side... like the outlet, in my case. And I understand you might not want to say... but I'm curious what needed doing to make it work.

Mike
  • Mike Krall
    Options
    @hot_rod

'Hot-Rod', you are the only person I know who has a Lochinvar.

I've got a question on boiler clearances. I was only paying attention to the 24" clearance above the boiler and didn't see the required 12" left side clearance.

I called Lochinvar to find out what the clearance was for. Was told needed to see the unit documenting plates on left side. It was also suggested a person might need the left side off to do somethings on the boiler components... but didn't know what.

I got a call-back from Lochinvar Tech. Support a bit after that and was referenced to my area sales rep. (Shamrock Sales, Denver, Colo.) on the question. Shamrock mentioned the plates but didn't know of repair or maintenance needing left side space. I asked how the side panel came off and they said it would unfasten, then come off forward.

On paper... I've got the LLH sitting higher than, and left of the boiler (12"and 24" to ceiling, respectively)... 90 deg.-left feed to LLH Boiler-supply off the top... and Boiler return in a "U" loop to the bottom of the boiler. The boiler-return -to- DirtMag -to- "U" piping (with boiler circ., DHW-return, etc. vertical and down) partly sits in the 12" area... circ. edge 1.75" +/- to boiler side... down piping edge about 4.75" to boiler side.

From your experience with these boilers, do you see reasons that won't work due to the "12 inch clearance" requirement?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Lochinvar I&O Clearances:
    https://us.v-cdn.net/5021738/uploads/editor/tp/7c540189nucw.png
    'Hot-Rod' Through left wall piping:
    https://us.v-cdn.net/5021738/uploads/editor/kh/2ij5qe8h18m7.png
    Grundfos UPML 25-104 Spec-sheet below:

Mike
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    I completely repipe the inside of my boiler from just front access. I don’t see any component that in not accessible from the top and or front
    But an inspector might read the label and insist on that side clearance the factory stated otherwise
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Mike Krall
    edited February 2023
    Options
    hot_rod said:

I completely repipe the inside of my boiler from just front access. I don’t see any component that in not accessible from the top and or front
    But an inspector might read the label and insist on that side clearance the factory stated otherwise

Thank you, Hot Rod...

I'm guessing I'll not be seeing an inspector... we are kind of at the end of the road... =] That's us above the date...

I did think about how to get all of the side plate information into a secondary, non-losable form... just in case.

Mike