Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

HEAT HELP!!!!

inwannunu
inwannunu Member Posts: 1
I think the last guy completed ruined our heating system. Check out the pics. He snatched out the transformer. Now thermostats are not connected. The heat seems to come on when it wants. It's too hot in the house when the temp outside is about 40 degrees but not enough heat kicks in when it's freezing outside!!! Someone help!

Comments

• GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 2,007
    Nobody is going to be able to help you without more information. You didn't provide pictures of the heating system, but #2 looks like there is some sort of boiler system there. Is that correct? Could you provide more photos of it and the wiring connected to it? Something must tell the system to run. If it runs intermittently, there must be some sort of signal telling it to do that.
    JakeCKIronman
  • JakeCK
    JakeCK Member Posts: 1,461
    edited January 2022
    GroundUp said:
    Nobody is going to be able to help you without more information. You didn't provide pictures of the heating system, but #2 looks like there is some sort of boiler system there. Is that correct? Could you provide more photos of it and the wiring connected to it? Something must tell the system to run. If it runs intermittently, there must be some sort of signal telling it to do that.
    I could imagine a scenario where it's bouncing off the aquastat and if there are zone valves or circulators that are supposed to be controlled by the tstats it could explain the symptoms...

But yes lots more information and photos are needed. 

And if that is how that "professional" left that j box... Find a new one.
    Ironman
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,430
    Even with good pics, it would be almost impossible to try and explain over the internet what exactly needs to be done. Obviously, there are thermostats missing as well as the transformer, but someone knowledgeable needs to be on site to know the details of how to correct it.

Where are you located?

Have you tried the contractor locator above?
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,976
    Whatever else, I looked at that first picture of the junction box.

Do NOT let that contractor -- if he is one -- back in the house. I would consider reporting the situation to your local building code enforcement people. Whoever left the house that way should have his license revoked -- if he even has one.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    JakeCK
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,741
    If I had to guess, I'd say that several zone stats were removed & replaced with one main stat that opens all the zone valves. <https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/ >might help you find someone to figure out exactly what's going on.
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 8,326
    edited January 2022
    That looks like there are both Line Voltage and Low Voltage circuits in the junction box. That would be ok if all the conductors (wires) were at least 16 Gauge wire, but some of those wires look like 18 gauge or smaller. That would not pass a code inspection by a competent electrical inspector. (the key word is competent)

Im thinking you should get a competent professional HVAC tech, Plumber, or Electrician (Competent = One who understands control wiring ...not just house wiring) to resolve your issue.

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

JakeCK
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,705
    looks like looks there is some Romex  wire on the one sub base?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 5,054
    You can’t have high voltage and low voltage in the same box unless the wires are rated the same. 
  • JakeCK
    JakeCK Member Posts: 1,461
    edited January 2022
    That looks like there are both Line Voltage and Low Voltage circuits in the junction box. That would be ok if all the conductors (wires) were at least 16 Gauge wire, but some of those wires look like 18 gauge or smaller. That would not pass a code inspection by a competent electrical inspector. (the key word is competent) Im thinking you should get a competent professional HVAC tech, Plumber, or Electrician (Competent = One who understands control wiring ...not just house wiring) to resolve your issue.
    You know, I was thinking the same thing about the wires being mixed between line and low voltage, but wasn't sure so didn't say anything. 

Edit: actually it makes sense there would be low and line voltage near by. I bet that's where the transformer was, still shouldn't have been in the same box. And yea I'd report that fool. He left a serious shock and fire hazard in your house. If the wrong wire from that made contact with that copper pipe inches below it you could energize half your house... For the split second it takes to short out, possibly arc out. Look on YouTube for what a good arc flash can do to a person. It is why the maintenance techs at my employer have flame resistant uniforms and are the only ones allowed in machine electrical panels. I actually just had to refresh my LOTO training the other day.