Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Nest thermostat installation with common wire

Shaiba
Shaiba Member Posts: 4
Hi I am here to get some help regarding installation of nest thermostat.
I installed nest thermostat but it wasn’t getting enough power and nest thermostat support suggested me to install common wire also.
My regular thermostat was installed using just 3 wires( red,white and green), although there were two extra wires folded back inside wall (blue and orange).
I decided to pull the wires from the wall so that I can use one from it to connect as common wire.
but when I pulled it it was little hard to come out and upon applying but force it came out but at the end of those extra wire there was cramp connector.
I got suspicious that these wires might be connected somewhere? I tried to use thermostat to turn on furnace it didn’t worked.
can you guys guide me where these wires could be connected . And what should I do to atleast get back the heat .
I will highly appreciate for any recommendations.

Comments

• Shaiba

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    What are the 2 devices below? Is it spiced behind one of them?
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    HVACNUT
  • Shaiba
    One is humidifier knob the other is ventilation 
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,615
    I dare say those conductors we're connected to one of the other controls. Take them off the wall & see if one has a Sta-Kon still plugged in on one side.
    HVACNUT
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    Looks like you pulled the wires off the humidistat. 
    What was Red, White, and Green connected to on the old thermostat?
    That cable looks thicker than 5 conductor. Are you sure there's not 3 more wires cut back flush with the sheathing?

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,161
    Well, I'd certainly say you disconnected something... wonder what. I'd also suggest that the wire without the connector was pulled out of the connector on whatever, rather than pulling off the connector.

Got some interesting detective work to do there.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    Do you have AC?

Was the green connected to old stat and where at.

Show us the old stat.

Did you shut off the power while pulling on the wire?
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,775
    Sorry but Crimp connectors dont work on solid wires. Not that it matters but fire cable for thermostat wiring?
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    Could that be plenum rated 18-8 tstat cable?
  • Shaiba
    So I found that humidifier has a cramped connection but now how to find out which wire goes to which terminal any ideas?
    JakeCK
  • ratio
    The bent one.

@pecmsg is correct, those connectors aren't reliable (nor listed) for use on solid wire, but you may be able to get a reliable-enough connection by doubling the conductor (crimp the bend tight) under the barrel of the connector.

HVACNUT
  • ratio
    By bent one, I mean the one that points the same direction as the one with the connector still attached. That's a result of pulling on the attached wire.
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    ratio said:
    By bent one, I mean the one that points the same direction as the one with the connector still attached. That's a result of pulling on the attached wire.
    Yes