Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

WSJ discusses natural gas bans

Comments

• ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,616
    Follow the money…
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,426
    edited July 2021
    It seem the direction things are moving. You have to be wary of these New England Yankees. I assure you, Yankee isn't a flattering term.

I always envisioned a fusion or thorium reactor the size of an old cast iron Burnham boiler producing all the electrical and heating needs for every building. It would eliminate all the unsightly infrastructure of wires and piping. Every building would be its own source of energy.

Progressives always think that all they have to do is come up with an edict and the natural world will bow the their demands. Ever hear of "demanding the tides to recede."

There was never an edict phasing out Horses for motorized transportation. If a better mouse trap is made, the economies of a better mouse trap will make the old mouse trap obsolete. You don't need an edict. How many cathode ray tube TVs can you buy today?

The edicts of central planners has always lead to mis-allowcations of resources and an inability to correctly predict the future. Those are widely accepted facts. But, that doesn't keep Progessives from trying to tell you how to live.

Rich_49
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    Just don't say I didn't warn you...

As the article hints, for new construction? Maybe, maybe not, at least along the cost. For new construction inland... better be read to hear from some very unhappy customers. For renovation or retrofit? Not a hope. The 95% of the population (figure pulled out of my hat, but can't be far off) is, to use the vernacular, screwed, particularly those ho bought or switched to natural gas.

But hey ,our ancestors heated OK with wood fireplaces and stoves... good luck with that in the city or suburbs.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • dopey27177
    dopey27177 Member Posts: 887
    It seems to me that these progressives forget that it takes some form of energy (gas, oil or nuclear energy) to produce electricity. The electricity used for cooking is not as efficient as a gas cooking stove, I know this because I have been cooking on an electric range for twenty years.

As to heating a home and making domestic hot water the recovery rates are are far below the gas and oil fired units.

I moved to Florida 20 years ago and live in the same size house as lived in, in New York City I had central air, had gas heat, gas fired clothes dryer and 4 A/C window units totaling 4 Tons, my electric service was 100 AMPS, Living in Florida with an all electric house I have a 200 AMP service.

I use nearly 1 1/2 times the Kilo watt hours of electric that I used in New York.

These progressives need to look at increasing the size of their power plants and the cost of rewiring the transmission lines that bring the electricity to the buildings and of course the cost off rewiring the buildings that that the gas and oil will be removed from.

Even if the building owners produce their own electric they will energy to produce the electric they will need.

Jake
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,230
    Who decides? Not people who can explain what VAR is.
    I bet most members of PUC s and FERC could not learn to save their lives.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    Doesn't surprise me a bit. I live in western MA. The part of the state that doesn't exist as far as Boston is concerned so I am somewhat removed from this. But I have been hearing some chatter the last 2 years or so.

These people don't have a clue. Not to mention the electric grid can't support what they have anymore than the gas distribution can.

At the last gas code update class I went to 2 months ago they said for the first time ever the people running the gas and plumbing boards in Boston are not licensed plumbers/gasfitters. This is the trend.

Gov Baker wan't to simplify and get rid of some of the state boards
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,426
    edited August 2021
    I want to simplify and get rid of some of the state governors.
  • retiredguy
    retiredguy Member Posts: 898
    @ HomerJSmith; I read in a "popular mechanics" or "mechanics illustrated" magazine when I was very young, (shows how old I am), that by the time I was 50 yrs. old every house in the USA would have a small nuke plant in the basement just as you envisioned. I am still waiting and I am way past 50
  • BigRob
    BigRob Member Posts: 322
    They're all lawyers and poly-sci people in SF.. and arguably crazy.
    jumper
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,592
    The last line in the article, and his argument for why he wanted natural gas.

“I’m one of those people who likes the warmer feel of the heat,” he said."

Sigh...
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    Hot_water_fan
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,695
    What was the "better mousetrap" that replaced lead paint or asbestos without government mandates, asks this progressive.
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
  • ChrisJ
    edited August 2021

Just don't say I didn't warn you...

But hey ,our ancestors heated OK with wood fireplaces and stoves... good luck with that in the city or suburbs.

Well,
    London did it for a very long time. Yes, it created the London fog, but the point was it was done in cities and suburbs.

@ HomerJSmith; I read in a "popular mechanics" or "mechanics illustrated" magazine when I was very young, (shows how old I am), that by the time I was 50 yrs. old every house in the USA would have a small nuke plant in the basement just as you envisioned. I am still waiting and I am way past 50

I've seen how most maintain their simple heating systems, water heaters, condensers etc.
    I have no interest in anyone near me being responsible for maintaining and operating their own fission reactor. Basically "Get's ignored until there's a melt down".
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • ChrisJ

What was the "better mousetrap" that replaced lead paint or asbestos without government mandates, asks this progressive.

Well,
    With asbestos I think lawsuits are what did it. I'm not aware of the government intervening with asbestos but I could be very wrong.
    Rich_49