Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Help with New gas furnace proposal with American standard

Options
bink
bink Member Posts: 97
I posted a few questions so far and am making progress. My daughter furnace failed last week i am trying to help her choose a system.
I am attaching a proposal from a company with a american standard silver 80 gas furnace model AS8X1B060M3PSAA or upgrade to american standard gold 96-2 stage model AS8x2b060m3.

Hoping someone could look this over and comment.
Is America standard a good choice. Consumer reports rates them highly but wondering because have seen negative comments on other sites.
Is the 80 silver model good.

This a condo with in the middle of the building side walls not exposed built about 20 years ago. in south eastern pa .
It has bryant gas furnance.
The contractors do not do a heat load study but i think match the btu’s to the existing unit. So far either 60,000 btu or 70,000 btu.has been specified.
I would like to get everything correct but timing is important because she is without

heat and is new to the area her condo is at so i cannot help with contractor recommendations

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,376
    Options
    No heat loss? It would take a competent contractor 20 minutes to get a good first cut on the heat loss. It'll take you or your daughter perhaps an hour; the Slant/Fin heat loss calculator is on the web and free.

That said, it's more important that the installer know and likes to work with the equipment than what consumer oriented reviews have to say (either "formal" or on the web). A furnace isn't a toaster...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    American Standard is a re-badged Trane furnace. They are good furnaces. Trane did have a problem with heat exchangers cracking a few years ago so make sure you are getting a current production model.
    I see they are only offering a ten year warranty on parts and no mention of any added warranty on the heat exchanger. There are units on the market that offer up to 25 year warranties on the heat exchanger, Arcoaire, by IPC, I believe being one of those brands.
    I would recommend you do a heat loss but I see the proposed equipment is a two stage with stage 1 being 39K BTU. That offers some margin for error. Always better safe than sorry, however.
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,924
    edited December 2019
    Options
    @bink ... I'm an AmStd. fan The Gold variable speed in the proposal is the smallest variable speed furnace in the 80% gold series. The load calc for the condo that is between two other condos will be much lower than that but you can't get a smaller furnace!

If you forget the Variable speed you can get a 40,000 BTU model BUT you will not get the benefit of variable speed ECM technology to operate the heating and cooling equipment. This will help if you experience temperature stacking... higher temps on the top floor and lower temp on the first floor. If the temperature difference between up and down is over 8° then a variable speed blower can help.

Caldwell is pretty confident in his work only 10% down balance upon completion. Industry-standard is 50% down, or 1/3 down. This guy seems to be professional and has thorough specifications in the contract.

I would recommend the 80% Gold but if you go with the Silver, have the load calc done and you will find the 40,000 BTU is probably large enough. The price difference is not that big. The job is more labor than equipment.

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

SlamDunk
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,924
    Options
    Warranty on 80% heat exchanger is 20 years and 10 years on functional parts with registration. Easy to register on the americanstandardair.com website

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• bink
    Options
    Thank you Ed the heater man. Your information is important and is helping with our decision. The quote is actually for 80 silver model. I assume the gold has the variable speed. I ask my daughter’s fiancee to check with the heating company.
    Thanks for the advice.
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,873
    Options
    You MUST have a Heat Load / Loss performed. Like for Like replacements are a bad decision.

As was stated when condos are buil;t most receive the same equipment weather inside unit, end unit units above or below......…..That all must be calculated in what size is needed and its not done during construction!
  • bink
    Options
    Unfortunately i am not real close by the their house. Would like to get a heat load done.but she is without heat for week so far. Our Daughter (whose house this is ) is getting married the day Christmas. Not being disrespectful but too many other things going on.
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,873
    Options
    Not being disrespectful but it is what it is.
    Get some electric heaters
    Keep the pipes from freezing
    Have the wedding
    Then deal with it

BTW
    Congratulations 🎉
    ethicalpaul
  • John Mills_5
    John Mills_5 Member Posts: 952
    Options
    The S8 is brand new, the S9V2 which is 2 stage, 96% and variable speed has been out a couple of years. It's a good machine. Any of the S-models in upflow position require some special metal work, you can't just slap a filter beside it due to a small opening for return air. Our local tech rep says the S8 is a noisy furnace, burner noise not airflow. So far we have stayed away from them and used our Rheem or Allied Air brands for 80% furnaces.
  • bink
    Options
    Thank you John, what are your recommended Rheem or Allied Air models to use. I did not know noise was an issue with some of the 80% gas furnaces. In our case noise is an issue because the furnace is in a closet next to a bedroom. Appreciate the advice.
  • bink
    Options
    Our furnace is downflow. I also feel we need 80% because of venting which is a steel pipe going through the roof. I don’t think it is feasible to change the venting in this condo.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,574
    Options
    @bink,

Your right with a condo they will probably not allow a venting change. If it was built within the last 20 years they probably did a heat loss at that time........its still best to do one you can download the Slant Fin app and do one yourself to double check