Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Do I need a permit when converting from oil heat to gas In NYC?

Options
Debo2100
Debo2100 Member Posts: 3
I am considering switching from oil heating to gas heating . I already have a gas line coming into the house used for the stove . Do I need a permit in order to switch out the heating and hot water system to gas?

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,520
    Options
    Yes. I am not in NY so others can respond @JohnNY
    Debo2100
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,247
    Options
    Who's going to know?
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,845
    Options
    In NYC
    A lot of people.
    Then when you try to sell ooops!
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,947
    Options
    Best to check with the permit folks. They will know best and to know that it's done right without any dangerous issues arising.
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,541
    Options
    YES
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Debo2100
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. Another question.. does anyone know if it’s true that currently it is not possible to get a permit in nyc for the conversion due to a law that Cuomo passed ?
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,230
    Options
    You need a permit to alter gas pipe in any and every possible way in NYC. The one exception is when the alteration is an appliance replacement after the gas shutoff valve, providing the original gas valve remains in place and is within 24" of the new appliance. There are some areas in NYC, namely Brooklyn, where new gas service is not being issued. It's not a law. It's a mandate by the utility where demand is in danger of exceeding pipeline capacity.
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
    Canucker
  • Debo2100
    Options
    Thanks JohnNY. Do you know if they are currently issuing permits for the Bronx? If not where is the best place for me to find out?
  • SlamDunk
    SlamDunk Member Posts: 1,580
    Options
    I'm not a contractor but I have a house in the bronx.

A couple years ago we explored the possibility of exchanging oil heat for gas. We too, already had gas for stove and hot water heater. Here is what we learned from several contractors who looked at the job:

1) Three year waiting period
    2) Dept of buildings will inspect house prior to issuing permit and any violations would have to be corrected prior to receiving permit.

We replaced with a more efficient oil furnace. We know we have violations. Dad was a (in)famous DIYer and, well, after living there for forty years, there are violations.
    ethicalpaul
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,230
    Options
    SlamDunk said:

1) Three year waiting period
    2) Dept of buildings will inspect house prior to issuing permit and any violations would have to be corrected prior to receiving permit.

Wow. What shockingly wrong information.
    I've never heard of a "3-year waiting period" for gas in my 20 years of being a licensed Plumber in New York City and the Dept of Buildings does not inspect anybody's house "prior to issuing a permit".
    Wow. Somebody really badly wanted you to buy a new oil boiler.
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,247
    Options
    In the olden days a lot of stuff was done without permits. And with all the codes today you might say there are even more violations out there. So where are all the dead people?

Regarding gas conversion my experience is that one must satisfy the utility. City permits are make work as near as I can tell. Countless times heat is on and city employee simply hasn't got around to closing file. How often do we see electric supply with twist-on? Utility hasn't replaced them because City never gets around to sending paperwork.

Catch 22 has only gotten worse:
    >>1) Three year waiting period
    2) Dept of buildings will inspect house prior to issuing permit and any violations would have to be corrected prior to receiving permit.<<
  • SlamDunk
    Options
    JohnNY said:

SlamDunk said:

Wow. What shockingly wrong information.
    I've never heard of a "3-year waiting period" for gas in my 20 years of being a licensed Plumber in New York City and the Dept of Buildings does not inspect anybody's house "prior to issuing a permit".
    Wow. Somebody really badly wanted you to buy a new oil boiler.

I know!

That was a couple years ago and we did think it was the companys not wanting to go through the paperwork. Or deal with the mess we have.

But, it was five different companies. They were consistent. And, we have a neighbor pulled his oil furnace two years ago thinking it would be no big deal to convert to gas. As of last April, still no gas, no oil tank, heating house with space heaters.

He may have issues he doesnt want to talk about and prefers to blame con ed, But he has no central heating. We just decided to stick with oil. Path of least resistance.
  • SlamDunk
    Options
    I will also add that while our new furnace was going in, Con Ed mistakenly capped the gas line to the house from the street. When my brother talked to the supervisor the supervisor said there was a mistake and he was glad he showed up because it would have been next to impossible to get it reconnected after the hole was filled. Heck, they just repaired the sidewalk a month ago! So, Im not so sure we were fed a line...NYC is tough