Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.

If you've found help here, check back in to let us know how everything worked out.
It's a great way to thank those who helped you.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.

Filter Drier Blew Apart

I was asked to look at a no ac call today at my church and the filter drier blew apart and the tubing wrapped around another pipe. Have you ever heard of this? The red arrow shows the tubing wrapped around another pipe. The green arrow is where it used to be.

Ray Wohlfarth
Boiler Lessons
Click here to take Ray's class.
Click here to buy Ray's books.

Comments

• ratioratio Posts: 2,075Member
    What's the outdoor coil look like? Outdoor fan? The TXV? Abnormally high head pressure coupled with a poor solder joint would be my guess
  • EBEBRATT-EdEBEBRATT-Ed Posts: 5,969Member
    edited July 14
    Why didn't the hp switch shut it down? I agree about the bad brazing
  • pecmsgpecmsg Posts: 854Member
    Check the HP Safety. Compressor relief should have opened long before the drier did.

Contact the manufacture and file a report!
  • RayWohlfarthRayWohlfarth Posts: 770Member
    Thanks
    @ratio The condenser coil was cleaned a week ago. The unit is a 2 year old Carrier air cooled chiller. It looks like the filter dryer just blew apart.
    @EBEBRATT-Ed and @pecmsg We checked the error history and it did not show high head pressures We checked the high head pressure switch in the spring
    This is strange
    Ray
    Ray Wohlfarth
    Boiler Lessons
    Looking at the picture again, the filter/dryer separated along a seam, not a braze joint. There's two sensors in the hot gas line, so I assume that one is a HP switch and one is a pressure transducer. It's unlikely that the discharge pressure was anything out of the ordinary.

The filter/dryer failure was catastrophic, not what you'd expect from a leak.

Manufacturing defect caused a mechanical failure of the seam of the filter/dryer.

@ratio Thats what I was thinking
    Probably the cheapest one Carrier could find
    Ray Wohlfarth
    Boiler Lessons
  • IronmanIronman Posts: 5,166Member
    Ray, I see both ends of the drier but not the middle. It failed at two places simultaneously?
    Bob Boan

You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    Looks like the cylinder on the bottom half to me, but it's hard to see in the pic. Still, for it to have whipped the copper around like that, it would have had to let go basically all at once. I wonder if it was even welded? Perhaps the paint was all that was holding it together! I've seen more than one (plumbing) joint held together by flux.

moar pix!!!1!

@Ironman I think parts of the dryer are all over the floor
    @ratio I know never saw one do that in 40 years I love that I learn something everyday

Ray Wohlfarth
    Boiler Lessons
    I don't see any signs of a weld on the lip of that dryer.

Maybe I should start rapping them on the edge to see if they're put together properly!

@ratio I will certainly be checking them more carefully now Thanks
    Ray Wohlfarth
    Boiler Lessons

Thanks
    @ratio The condenser coil was cleaned a week ago. The unit is a 2 year old Carrier air cooled chiller. It looks like the filter dryer just blew apart.
    @EBEBRATT-Ed and @pecmsg We checked the error history and it did not show high head pressures We checked the high head pressure switch in the spring
    This is strange
    Ray

In that case bad drier! Hope I don't get any of those.

I would still be informing Carrier tech Support
    @pecmsg We have been at the Carrier distributor and they are all confused. LOL
    Ray Wohlfarth
    Boiler Lessons

@pecmsg We have been at the Carrier distributor and they are all confused. LOL

Carrier Tech Support with a full report and pictures.

That may have to be reported to consumer product safety!
    @RayWohlfarth

Is that a water cooled or Chiller unit?
  • HVACNUTHVACNUT Posts: 2,437Member
    Is the HP switch downstream of the drier? If the drier was plugged, the pressure at the outlet side would be low enough to not open the circuit.
  • Matt_67Matt_67 Posts: 173Member
    I’m curious what other components are on the rest of the refrigeration system. I could imagine if liquid refrigerant was trapped between that electronic txv and some component upstream of the dryer that a small temperature change could cause a large pressure change during an off cycle.
  • ChrisJChrisJ Posts: 10,051Member
    Matt_67 said:

I’m curious what other components are on the rest of the refrigeration system. I could imagine if liquid refrigerant was trapped between that electronic txv and some component upstream of the dryer that a small temperature change could cause a large pressure change during an off cycle.

There's plenty of TXV and EEV systems with filter driers out there.
    You don't see them exploding all of the time during the off cycle.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    I've seen soup cans that had thicker walls than that drier's shell.
    Bob Boan

• Matt_67Matt_67 Posts: 173Member
    @ChrisJ - I am not blaming the EEV, its just that it likely serves as a positive shutoff during the off cycle to prevent charge migration. If there is something upstream of the filter dryer that is also acting as a shutoff for whatever reason, the trapped refrigerant could not expand and the filter dryer is easily the weakest part of the piping system. I am curious if the system has a receiver and condenser flooding low ambient controls.
    @HVACNUT I am not sure. My guys are going there tomorrow. I will post more info
    @Matt_67 WE have Carrier confused now. The factory wants our pictures LOL
    Perhaps its R410a from Mexico LOL
    @Ironman I wonder if it was one for R22
    Thanks all
    Ray Wohlfarth
    Boiler Lessons
    @RayWohlfarth
    wondering if something went wacky with the water side of the chiller barrel. Hot water pumped through it by mistake....tied in with the boiler system??

Hot water through the chiller plate & frame would raise the refrig pressure. Maybe the dryer was the weak point
    @EBEBRATT-Ed Didn't think about that. Will see of the control system can be researched Thanks
    Ray Wohlfarth
    Boiler Lessons
  • clammyclammy Posts: 2,275Member
    Ray this was a air cooled system w a remote condenser ? Wasn’t there a hi presssure manual safety or fuseable safety piped on the condenser coil ,and was this a pump down system .just wondering where the head and suction pressures recorded ,I always like having something written on the unit to give whoever ends up there has some ideas on a base line normal operation . Maybe just a China drier quite shameful on carriers part especially since those Stiller’s are no cheap was this for comfort cooling or process peace and good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
    Looks like it might be a Carrier Aquasnap
    @clammy Yes there is a high pressure switch and a useable safety Neither tripped or failed. I am adding a separate pressure switch just in case LOL
    @EBEBRATT-Ed Yes it is.
    Carrier suggested we replace the EEX valve as well
    Will let you know how how it goes
    Ray Wohlfarth
    Boiler Lessons
  • mikeg2015mikeg2015 Posts: 916Member
    Wonder if the EEV could have failed and closed, system pumps down initially that maybe it opens then slams shut again causing like a water hammer effect.
    Just saw this posted on HVAC Laughs:

Bob Boan

@mikeg2015 I am hoping it was just the filter drier. We installed a separate pressure control just after the filter drier and before the EEX valve
    @Ironman wow thats scary
    Ray Wohlfarth
    Boiler Lessons