Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.

If you've found help here, check back in to let us know how everything worked out.
It's a great way to thank those who helped you.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.

PEX vs The Rat

Larry WeingartenLarry Weingarten Posts: 1,437Member
Hello, I started using PEX in 1991 and have always heard the rumor that rodents can chew through it. I've never actually seen a photo or known anybody with first hand experience of this. To me, it had attained urban legend status. So, imagine my surprise at seeing this! It's like staring into the eyes of a unicorn :o No doubt others here have run across this many times, but for those who wondered about the myth, here's proof.

Yours, Larry

Comments

• EBEBRATT-EdEBEBRATT-Ed Posts: 5,486Member
    @Larry Weingarten

You really need to keep those rats well fed so they stay off the pex diet LOL
  • DZoroDZoro Posts: 745Member
    Had red squirrels chew into the bottom of my camper. Then chewed pex lines that crossed through the main frame. That was a pita to repair.
  • JUGHNEJUGHNE Posts: 5,541Member
    You need to use larger PEX.
    We use Gopher Pipe for UG electric services here.
    It is SCH 20 2"PVC, in 20' lengths, you still have to install direct burial wire inside and use SCH 40/80 for risers.

The idea of the size is that gophers can not open their mouth that large to chew. :#
  • plumbob44plumbob44 Posts: 7Member
    I've been planning for over 30 years and using PEX for at least 20 years. I have seen this only once.