Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Old lineset

Options
SeanBeans
SeanBeans Member Posts: 520
so I just bought a house in Colorado.. it is part of a condo community and I guess you had the choice to have AC installed at the time the buildings were built.

The Homeowners before me opted to have none.

The refrigerant lines are ran, from my attic to the side of the house.

They capped the lines up in the attic but outside... Nope.

The lines are open and the first few inches are filled with dust, pollen, and whatever else.

I don’t think I have the option to run a new lineset outside exposed so I’m thinking a really great flush?

What would you guys do?

Comments

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,706
    edited March 2019
    Options
    SeanBeans said:

so I just bought a house in Colorado.. it is part of a condo community and I guess you had the choice to have AC installed at the time the buildings were built.

The Homeowners before me opted to have none.

The refrigerant lines are ran, from my attic to the side of the house.

They capped the lines up in the attic but outside... Nope.

The lines are open and the first few inches are filled with dust, pollen, and whatever else.

I don’t think I have the option to run a new lineset outside exposed so I’m thinking a really great flush?

What would you guys do?

I'm betting R11 flush.

What sizes are the lines and what size unit do you need?
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,861
    Options
    I wouldn’t chance it. The POE oil used today is a cleaning solvent so anything in there WILL come back to the compressor.

If they insist a filter drier at the air handler and suction filter at the compressor. At least one change of both!
  • SeanBeans
    Options
    @ChrisJ

They ran 3/4 3/8 line.

I haven’t looked fully into sizing yet, just moved in. But I imagine it’s going to be 2ton MAYBE 2.5. Lots of windows and sun.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,540
    Options
    doubtful that dust and dirt migrated very far inside with the other ends capped especially with the long riser to the attic. I would cut it back 4' and take a look....then flush
    ethicalpaul
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Options
    A good nitrogen blast into each line into a white kitchen trash bag a see what comes out and go from there. And for sure over size dryers.
    ethicalpaul
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,540
    Options
    @unclejohn

Agreed
  • SeanBeans
    Options
    Thanks guys!

I kinda figured I would be flushing and blasting with nitro.. probably do it a few times to be safe
  • Dave0176
    Dave0176 Member Posts: 1,177
    Options
    I don’t like flushing anything because then you have the flushing agent to deal with, I’ve found blowing the lines out with Nitro works just fine, even on 22 to 410 conversions. Put a suction drier in for a couple weeks and a liquid drier before the txv and you’ll be fine.
    DL Mechanical LLC Heating, Cooling and Plumbing 732-266-5386
    NJ Master HVACR Lic# 4630
    Specializing in Steam Heating, Serving the residents of New Jersey
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/dl-mechanical-llc

https://m.facebook.com/DL-Mechanical-LLC-315309995326627/?ref=content_filter

I cannot force people to spend money, I can only suggest how to spend it wisely.......