Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What's Wrong With This Picture

Weil McLain EG-75:

New England SteamWorks
Service, Installation, & Restoration of Steam Heating Systems
newenglandsteamworks.com

Comments

• Only one takeoff?
    Rusty sections?
    Not on a concrete pad?—NBC
  • Dave0176
    Dave0176 Member Posts: 1,177
    Weil-McLain flipped us the bird!!! More maybe coming on that!!!!
    DL Mechanical LLC Heating, Cooling and Plumbing 732-266-5386
    NJ Master HVACR Lic# 4630
    Specializing in Steam Heating, Serving the residents of New Jersey
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/dl-mechanical-llc

https://m.facebook.com/DL-Mechanical-LLC-315309995326627/?ref=content_filter

I cannot force people to spend money, I can only suggest how to spend it wisely.......
    New England SteamWorks
  • Dave0176
    Dave0176 Member Posts: 1,177
    edited December 2018
    Went to the 63 series myself.
    DL Mechanical LLC Heating, Cooling and Plumbing 732-266-5386
    NJ Master HVACR Lic# 4630
    Specializing in Steam Heating, Serving the residents of New Jersey
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/dl-mechanical-llc

https://m.facebook.com/DL-Mechanical-LLC-315309995326627/?ref=content_filter

I cannot force people to spend money, I can only suggest how to spend it wisely.......
  • We love our Weil distributor. But not enough...

On to Peerless 63 series.
    New England SteamWorks
    newenglandsteamworks.com
    Dave0176
  • Leon82
    Leon82 Member Posts: 684
    They missed a hole
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,489
    They are saving all those holes to augment the one the management has.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
    joshpjostDZoro
  • McSteamer22
    McSteamer22 Member Posts: 23
    1 hole 🤮
    That water line is going to be tilted like a black diamond slope
    1Matthias
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 16,099
    edited December 2018
    That seems a bit much to me.

My argument was EG-30 - 55 is fine with one 3" tapping.

But EG-75...........I don't think I'd want one like that. I thought they were only doing this on the smaller ones? Didn't they previously require two risers on one of these in the manual?
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • ch4man
    ch4man Member Posts: 296
    pfft, a real tech would just drill and tap another one... o:)

JK!.......
  • ChrisJ
    ch4man said:

pfft, a real tech would just drill and tap another one... o:)

JK!.......

I work in a machine shop and we could easily do that here without buying a $500 tap + a several hundred dollar drill.

However, I'm sure it'll still void the warranty on the block.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    CLamb
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,945
    Was this one a surprise to you like what happened to Dave? Did you pack it back up and return it?

If they did testing and found that one performed fine compared to two it still seems like they’d want to let installers pick the side!! Of course they wouldn’t want to have to stock/track two different models for that so the answer would be to have two holes! This story writes itself!

NJ Steam Homeowner.
    Free NJ and remote steam advice: https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/new-jersey-steam-help/
    See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el

• pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 5,060
    So they bolted and sealed it before they realized somethings wrong?
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,945
    Side question: is this a 5-section or do you count the end units also?

NJ Steam Homeowner.
    Free NJ and remote steam advice: https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/new-jersey-steam-help/
    See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el

• Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    I have a question, and I’m not fluent with steam, but I’ve been following the bird thread :)

If WM did this to save money. How much did they spend changing the installation manuals?.........

I’m not sure how the manufacturing process worked from casting section to drilling, and tapping the section. Same people? Shipped to another facility to do the machining ?

That’s a large chunk of cabbage they are saving by shipping only half as many of that casting for machining,? Let alone the cost of the process.
  • SeanBeans
    SeanBeans Member Posts: 520
    What kind of plugs/caps are you using on that boiler? They look smooth? @New England SteamWorks
  • Side question: is this a 5-section or do you count the end units also?

7 section
    New England SteamWorks
    newenglandsteamworks.com
    ethicalpaul
  • ChrisJ
    Is that a HW boiler?
  • > @ChrisJ said:
    > Is that a HW boiler?

It could be with hot water trim. But this one has the steam trim.
    New England SteamWorks
    newenglandsteamworks.com
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,431
    What are you gonna do with it, install it or return it?
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Gsmith
    Gsmith Member Posts: 435
    I actually don't think the water line will slope that much in that boiler. EG-75 according to W-M puts out 249,000 btu/hr steam. At 970 btu/lb to evaporate water that is 256 lb/hour of water which at 8.33 lb/gallon is 30.8 gallons per hour or 1/2 gallon per minute, roughly. Without measuring or looking up the specs the steam chest (circular section running front to back) looks to be about 2 times the 3" outlet opening or about 6" in diameter. When steaming, the roughly circular boiler sections would be about 1/2 full or a water flow area of about 0.2 square feet. If all the water flowed in at the front of the boiler, was heated to steam and only exited the boiler at the back in one 3" steam outlet the water line would be depressed much less than 1/4" from front to back, just using pretty common Manning (gravity flow) equation formula for flow in a half pipe section. Think of it in common terms how much would the water line in a half 6" diameter pipe drop in the roughly 30" length front to back of the boiler if only 1/2 gallon per minute were running in that 1/2 pipe (common garden hose is about 5 gallons per minute, common faucet about 2 gallons per minute). But it is probably much less slope than that as the condensate return comes in about half way back the boiler not at the extreme opposite side to the outlet. The W-M engineers probably calculated this water line slope and found it was a very small fraction of an inch so decided to use only one outlet. Of course that doesn't eliminate the problems of piping flexibility which is eliminated with just one outlet, a valid point for installers.

Another way to think about it is: if the steam velocity for this boiler is acceptable in one 3" outlet (as far as producing dry steam--I haven't checked the tables on that as LAOSH is at home) then the steam velocity in the steam area above the water line is one half the velocity in the 3" steam outlet (if the steam chest circular area is in fact about the equivalent of a 6" diameter pipe--eyeball-o-metric measurement from the photo).

I'm not a boiler designer but have some facility with hydraulic calculations.

Maybe @Jamie Hall would like to weigh in on this.
    ethicalpaul
  • > @Ironman said:
    > What are you gonna do with it, install it or return it?
    New England SteamWorks
    newenglandsteamworks.com
    Boon
  • No choice. The old boiler had asbestos, so the abatement company removed it the prior day. So no heat when the surprise showed up.
    New England SteamWorks
    newenglandsteamworks.com
    ethicalpaul
  • Of some interest: this counterflow has no drips. Instead the supplies where upsized by a factor of two. The largest main is 4”.
    New England SteamWorks
    newenglandsteamworks.com
    ethicalpaulSeanBeans
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 2,087
    They still have the second return tapping. 34 fps @ 1psi
  • ChrisJ
    So.

How did it seem to run with clean water?
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Beautiful, as always. Shouldn't the smaller flue pipe from the water heater be above the larger flue pipe?...just wondering.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Oh! I guess when we see a WM installation with a boiler that size, we'll have to ask if it was installed pre or post 2018 before we gripe about the installer cheaping out on a few more fittings/nipples, to do it right.
    Dave0176
  • Boiler wrestler
    Boiler wrestler Member Posts: 43
    Keep your ears open for more information on this. Reason may prevail.