Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

The head of a 4 in 1 screwdriver fell in my boiler will it affect it

acl10
acl10 Member Posts: 349
The head of a 4 in 1 screwdriver fell in my boiler will it affect it. While I was fixing a pie near the boiler I stuk a cloth in with the screwdriver to clean the inside of the pipe. When I removed the cloth the head was missing and it fell into my steamboiler. Will it affect the boiler if it sits on the bottom. I dont know of anyway to get it out
SuperTech

Comments

• ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,616
    Can you see it? Maybe a magnet on a string or stick will be able to reach it.
    kcopp
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    Tiresome. But no, it won't affect the boiler. It will just sit there.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • acl10
    edited January 2018
    I meant to write Pipe
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    I'll bet you could bake a pie on a boiler
    SuperTech
  • acl10
    So far the boiler is working normally with it inside
  • Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
    Was it a Philips or flat? Philips you might get away with but those doggone flats are trouble! :)
    MilanDDZoroMark Eathertondelta T
  • Pumpguy
    Pumpguy Member Posts: 645
    Especially the metric type.
    Dennis Pataki. Former Service Manager and Heating Pump Product Manager for Nash Engineering Company. Phone: 1-888 853 9963

The first step in solving any problem is TO IDENTIFY THE PROBLEM.
    Mark Eatherton
  • Neild5
    Neild5 Member Posts: 167
    > @acl10 said:
    > The head of a 4 in 1 screwdriver fell in my boiler will it affect it. Yes, it will make it very difficult to drive screws.
    SuperTechMark Eatherton
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    And the boiler will have less water capacity.......remember the bricks in the toilet tank for water saving? ;)
    Neild5CanuckerMark Eathertondelta T
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,476
    I can remember when Sears was selling 300mm metric adjustable wrenches for a good discount to the normal 12 " adjustable wrenches.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
    JUGHNEDZoro
  • The Steam Whisperer
    The Steam Whisperer Member Posts: 1,215
    Yes, I do too, I bought a bunch of them!
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    Call me old fashion. I still prefer the 12" adjustable over some metric adjustable :D
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    Neild5
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    At least you admitted you dropped something in the boiler..
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    Better the metal head than the plastic handle.
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    It’s kinda like when you swallowed a penny as a kid, I see nothing I know nothing.
  • DZoro
    DZoro Member Posts: 1,048
    Maybe, just maybe someday you will get it back. This fall I changed out a furnace, where 15 years ago my employee dropped a 1" step drill bit in it. I was wondering why he would always use mine instead of his that I had just bought him. Well I found out, lol. When I was replacing the furnace this fall, the home owner came down stairs and stated, " I wonder if that young mans drill bit is still in that furnace?" Yes it was, it fell in when he was installing the outdoor wood furnace coil! He didn't want to bother getting a magnet and retrieving it. Grrrrr....
    Maybe, just maybe you will get it back :)
    ratio
  • Shalom
    Shalom Member Posts: 165
    There's a channellock pliers somewhere inside my kitchen wall, where years ago a drain cleaning guy dropped it while trying to remove the plug at the bottom of the upstairs bathtub J-trap. (Long story short, very old lead trap custom-bent for the application, the plug has a round profile and two protrusions that were apparently supposed to be engaged by a key with two slots in it). He went fishing with a magnet but never found it.

He comes back every couple years to root out the sewer, and one or the other of us will always mention that channellock...
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    The once was a man named Fred, who lost his screw driver head. It fell in his boiler, which was actually an oiler.

Where it shall remain until this oiler boiler is dead :smile:

(A Marku) :wink:
    by
    ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
    Neild5brandonf