Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

residential domestic chilled water units

Options
Willfly
Willfly Member Posts: 1
I live in a desert climate (daytime temps reach to avg. 105 F daily) and during the 6 months of summer the domestic water enters the house at about 90+ F. Also, the water enters the house at about 80 gpm pressure. I would like to have the water maintain about a 55 F temperature during the summer months. Anyone have any ideas on a solution to my situation?

Comments

• hituw2x4
    hituw2x4 Member Posts: 19
    Options
    Drill a deep closed loop well?
    Canucker
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    Bury the line deeper to where the ground temp is 50* year round.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,844
    Options
    Move.
    MilanD
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,207
    Options
    Buy a bunch of drinking fountain/ water coolers, run you water lin through them.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • zmcgarvey
    zmcgarvey Member Posts: 20
    Options
    Does it ever freeze there? If not I bet your water pipe is just a few inches below the surface where it absorbs lots of atmospheric heat. And not just yours, but the whole city's. Just burying it deeper in the 50 ft or whatever from the street to your house won't fix that..
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,574
    Options
    https://www.nwgsupply.com/products/activeaqua-chiller-refrigeration-unit-1-10-hp?gdffi=87c68efd9c9b487981a9b67a4daa2ec6&gdfms=F78F049BC8314036AFD6067B6454AB00&gclid=CJGawdj6-dQCFcmKswoduYEK-A

This would work but may not have enough capacity. You could dedicate it to 1 sink and would need a storage/buffer tank

The upside is your water heating bill must be low
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,643
    Options
    I don't know if you can find a consumer-grade off-the-shelf solution, but a tube-in-tube heat exchanger, storage tank, refrigeration condenser, and pipes and a pump to connect everything should work. It'd be kind of a Rube Goldberg setup though.

It's an interesting project. What is your water usage like? You'd need to know your average usage, peak usage, min and max incoming temp and of course your design outlet temp to figure out the sizing.

I suspect that this won't be a $400 project.

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,069
    Options
    I assume you are just wanting cold drinking water?
    Anything you do will require energy.
    Do you have AC in the house?
    Do you get any nighttime cooling because of no cloud cover?
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,574
    Options
    Which is why I said dedicate it to one sink. Building a system will not be cost effective
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Options
    You don't have a water dispenser for the refrigerator?
  • TheKeymaster
    TheKeymaster Member Posts: 36
    Options
    Couldn't you just have the water go into a tank when it comes in the house before it goes anywhere else? It would cool off to whatever temp the house is over time. If the tank was big enough, you wouldn't have cold water, but the temp would drop down from 90 which is crazy.
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Options
    Better insulate that idea, or the house will end up being heated buy the tank if it's sizable. If you insulate the tank then it won't cool either..
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,277
    Options
    Easiest is to keep a pitcher of water in your refrigerator.Or buy ice.