Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Mod CON? Or Power vent 85%?

Options
167891012»

Comments

• NY_Rob
    NY_Rob Member Posts: 1,370
    Options
    The Alpha is fine as is, as long as the shaft is parallel to the ground you're good.
    CanuckerSuzook
  • Suzook
    Suzook Member Posts: 221
    Options
    Back again. Upstairs does not maintain temp when it drops below 30. Obviously not enough radiation for the heat loss up there. More radiation in the spring, but for now, how do I adjust the odr curve for hotter supply temps below 30, but leave it alone from 30 and above?
  • NY_Rob
    Options
    There are several ways do do it, but instead of extending your min outdoor temp setting to 15F or whatever bring that setting up to 30F. This way you're making hotter water earlier.

So maybe something like this:

Outdoor/CH Temp
    30F/160F
    55F/110F
  • Suzook
    edited December 2017
    Options
    ^Will give that a shot. Shame, as I am getting long burn times when it's above 30. Guess I will worry about the extra fin tube in the spring. These next 2 weeks should be a real learning period with the expected low temps. Apparently most of my heat loss is upstairs. I have plenty of attic insulation, but many windows.
  • NY_Rob
    edited December 2017
    Options
    The ODR curve is linear, your actual heatloss is anything but linear.

Think of a 32F calm day with plenty of sunshine, now think of a 32F night with 35mph winds.
    Same temp according to the ODR sensor, but one has lots of solar gain and no infiltration, the other has no solar gains and lots of infiltration. There's no way for a single sensor system to account for the vastly different heatloss conditions even though the outdoor temperature is the same. It's a compromise....
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    edited December 2017
    Options
    The compromise is how much you want to play with it. You could set a curve based on a weeks worst case weather forecast data, and set ODR accordingly. Changing it on a weekly basis. Or just set it up for design, and be done for the year.
  • Suzook
    edited December 2017
    Options
    ^ Good point, maybe I will readjust the curve in March for lower supply temps. Not that big of a deal.
    So just for testing, I have left my odr curve alone. I am home all week and will see how I make out. My upper level does drop to 63 at night, but does reach setpoint by mid-afternoon probably due to solar gain. Gonna see how it handles single digits tonight. Kids are upstairs,and have no complaints. When I had oil 62 at night was normal.
  • Suzook
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Update...Was 11 last night, dropped to 63 upstairs, then rebounded to 68 setpoint this afternoon with the solar gain. High of 17 today! Gonna keep this curve as of now. Seems strange I have no boiler cycling.
    My cat is loving the constant warmth of my slab where the copper is burried....lol. Nice and toasty.
  • Suzook
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Gas bill of $220(218 therms) this month with the 3rd coldest month in history! If I had oil still I would have been about $675to$700. Another thing is, that I used to keep house at 62 at night 68 during day with oil. Now I'm at 68 at night 70 during day. Feeling good about my upgrade!
    BrewbeernjtommyBoonratio
  • NY_Rob
    Options
    ^ sweet!

Wait till you see your summer usage for hot water... 16 therms last Aug :)