Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Final inspection was today.

Options
Tinman
Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
All good. The boiler room was easy. Outside the boiler room, not so much. We ran almost 3000' of Pex-Al-Pex, refitted every radiator and fan coil, pressure tested each one, flushed each one, had to contend with 22" thick stone walls, and brutal crawl spaces but we won.

Next week, we start the SpacePak systems and Mitsubishi ductless splits.

Steve Minnich
Paul S_3Harvey RamerGordySWEIIronmanNew England SteamWorksnjtommySolid_Fuel_Manrick in AlaskaRich_49ChrisJdelta T4JohnpipeBoonZman

Comments

• Paul S_3
    Paul S_3 Member Posts: 1,261
    Options
    nice job!! @Stephen Minnich .....on the KHN's ...how do you like them? i have a couple scheduled for install this September
    ASM Mechanical Company
    Located in Staten Island NY
    Servicing all 5 boroughs of NYC.
    347-692-4777
    ASMMECHANICALCORP@GMAIL.COM
    ASMHVACNYC.COM
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/asm-mechanical-company
    Tinman
  • Tinman
    Options
    I love them so far and thank you. We only ran them for a short time for the heating system so we could complete the start-up and combustion analysis. They are running for the indirect/domestic hot water. I still have some fine tuning to do in terms of setting up the parameters but nothing major.
    Steve Minnich
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Options
    Setting the bar Stephen!! Beautifully done.
    Tinmanjonny88
  • Tinman
    Options
    Quite the compliments coming from you guys! Thank you. I learn something from you guys all the time.
    Steve Minnich
    GordyPaul S_3
  • EzzyT
    EzzyT Member Posts: 1,295
    Options
    Great looking mechanical room.
    E-Travis Mechanical LLC
    Etravismechanical@gmail.com
    201-887-8856
    Tinman
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    Options
    Damn,that's nice looking!
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

Tinman
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Options
    For me.....It's missing one thing. A fridge, because I'd be sitting down there drinking my beers. I'd drive the wife nuts, giving tours to guests. Beautiful Job!
    TinmanGordyjonny88
  • Tinman
    Options
    Gerry Gill - I'm going to needs guys like you real soon. I'm all in on any steam that comes my way now. Just sold one today. Seems like there's 100 different steam systems.
    No discomfort, no growth.
    Steve Minnich
    Paul S_3SWEI
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    Options

Gerry Gill - I'm going to needs guys like you real soon. I'm all in on any steam that comes my way now. Just sold one today. Seems like there's 100 different steam systems.

No discomfort, no growth.

Yeah, the old timers patented the two pipe systems so they all had to do something slightly different from each other..makes it fun tho..I have the paperwork on most of the two pipe systems so if you need something just reach out to me.
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

SWEI
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,625
    Options
    Steve e-mail me some pictures so I can show them in class. E-mail is gastc@cox.net thanks.
  • Tinman
    Options
    Thanks Gerry. I've been watching your videos on YouTube.
    Steve Minnich
  • Tinman
    Options
    Be glad to Tim. Thank you.
    Steve Minnich
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    Options
    Nice clean install. Love using strut to make for a plumb, level, professional install. Do you do your own electrical work as well?

SFM
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
    Tinman
  • Tinman
    Options
    Thanks SFM - Yup, I do the electrical too.
    Steve Minnich
  • rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,457
    Options
    That sure is some intense paint on those gas lines!
    I sure am liking the KHN's. Just had a problem with one that turned out to not be a problem, but in the meantime was able to speak with a local rep, well 2000 miles away anyway, and was able to get quite a bit more pointers on it. Sure wish I could go to an all day class just to learn all the different capabilities of the control. It can really do a lot of cool things. Especially the ramp delays.
    He also informed me the newer ones are being shipped with the gas piping undone so there is less chance of venturi's breaking. Apparently the bouncing during deliveries was causing it. Glad they pay attention and rectify problems when they occur.
    Great looking job, by the way.
    Rick
    Tinman
  • aircooled81
    aircooled81 Member Posts: 205
    Options
    Nice Mechanical Room, very well done. You take pride in your work and it shows!
    Tinman
  • Tinman
    Options
    @rick in Alaska - I painted the concrete pads and the gas lines to differentiate us from the pack, I guess.

I've done the diamond plate thing and it just doesn't appeal to me.

Plus, there's a total of about $15 worth of paint. It was an easy choice.
    Steve Minnich
    Paul S_3
  • Danny Scully
    Danny Scully Member Posts: 1,425
    Options
    You know, if you paint the gas piping, you're suppost to test it under a lot higher pressure :lol:
  • Tinman
    Options
    Even if I tested before painting?
    Steve Minnich
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,627
    Options
    Last chance leak stop. :)
  • Gordy
    Options
    I think it's a nice balance the pads bring out the hint of red in the Khns.,,...... Omg sounding like the wifey....
    SWEIZman
  • Tinman
    Options
    @Gordy - That's exactly why I used the red.

Smart minds?
    Steve Minnich
  • Gordy
    Options
    Think alike ;)
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    Where do you locate the probe for the LWCOs?

The instructions show it on the inlet to the boiler, that seems pretty low. The high limit might open first.
    I put mine higher thinking to maybe save a pump from running dry. FWIW
  • Tinman
    Options
    They're about 8" above the boiler. They're hard to see because the bull of the T is facing the back wall and the wire is tie strapped on the back side of the pipe down to the control.
    Steve Minnich
  • JUGHNE
    Options
    That is about where mine is located.....my I&O papers had it where I thought it was too low.

However will your boiler inlet & outlet isolation valves isolate the each probe from its respective boiler?

Did that test tee in the exhaust come with the boiler?

I like the looks of your installation....very neat.
  • Tinman
    Options
    The boiler isolation valves won't and I may change that on the next one. There are other valves on the system side where everything on the boiler side can be isolated. That's how I wanted it really. If the gaskets on the Caleffi Sep. ever have a problem I'm covered there too.

Those test tees did come with the KHN's. I love that.

Thank you. I've never been 100% satisfied so I'm always looking for ways to get better. I'm not sure that's a good thing or a bad thing or an OCD thing?
    Steve Minnich
    wyo
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,706
    Options
    Did you clearcoat all of the copper? :)

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Tinman
    Options
    Not yet but you gotta know it's coming :D
    Steve Minnich
    ChrisJ
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,706
    Options

Not yet but you gotta know it's coming :D

I'll be honest,
    It'd look better if the boilers came in black diamond plate.

Can you imagine giving a customer options for their mechanical room similar to when someone is buying a car? :)
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • JUGHNE
    Options
    What I mean is if you shut down boiler A, closed the in/out valves for A (leaving B unit in operation) and drained that boiler A , would the LWCO A be dry when boiler A is dry.

So LWCO A is not sensing water from the wet system and able to fire IF it was somehow powered up while dry?

Sandcloth and Scotchbrite work on the copper is part of the annual service agreement isn't it? :)
  • Tinman
    Options
    Not with the valves closed, no. But each individual boiler has its own on/off switch and I added another for each. If someone is going to drain a boiler, they better have sense enough to turn off that boiler. Yes?
    Steve Minnich
  • Tinman
    Options
    Lock out/tag out and all that stuff. Me? I'm turning power and gas off.
    Steve Minnich
  • JUGHNE
    Options
    I realize that isolating the LWCO from the boiler is not like having a valve between the boiler and the PRV (pop off).

But to clean that probe in the future, you would have to drain more piping and that would shut down the other heating source.

Common sense doesn't always exist as we all know. You never know who will be putting fingers in the wrong place.

For instance:
    I repaired a pool heater in May, it is 70 miles away.
    Last week a call that the electronic t-stat I put on it is not working, the display is dead.
    I called back 3 times with really dumb questions:
    Is the CB on?
    Is the pilot control switch on?
    Did you reset the high limit t-stat?
    Each call the 2 maintenance guys replied those items were OK.
    (I know they were thinking.....do you think we are dummies or what?)

I drove 140 miles round trip to reset the emergency pool heater shut down switch next to the CB panel.........Damn! they said....that happen last year too!
  • keyote
    keyote Member Posts: 659
    Options
    Not A plumber but in NY painted gas pipe must be tested at 20 lbs not 3 lbs so if there's an addition to system or if say the gas company shuts system because leak or even bill payment or between owners, when its re commissioned the test must be done at the higher pressure. theory is paint could mask minor leaks. reality is higher pressure might even cause them. people buying old houses often find themselves having to re pipe four stories of gas before service will be restored. I know this happened to me.
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    I don't know what other state requirements are but here in Ohio (at least our local utility, Vectren, says it is a State PUCO requirement) requires a physical, inside inspection from the meter back to where the pipe enters the house every three years. They schedule it and if it is not completed within 30 days of that scheduled date, they shut the gas off at the street and the home owner then has to pay a "Turn-on fee, and when they come out to turn it back on, they complete the inspection. It's not a pressure test though, they just use a detector at each connection up to and around the meter. If there are gas appliances connected within a few feet of the meter, they check those as well.
  • Tinman
    Options
    Gas pipe installation was complete and leak tested long before any paint was applied.
    Steve Minnich
    GordyPaul S_3
  • Gordy
    Options

Gas pipe installation was complete and leak tested long before any paint was applied.

Yeah, that would be the smart way......
    Tinman
  • jonny88
    jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
    Options
    You make it look easy.I bet that boiler room was laid out in your mind before anything went in there.Fantastic work,thanks for sharing.