Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Labor Shortage?

Options
12346»

Comments

• Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Options
    When someone tells me something I don't agree with, I'll search for information about it. That's the great thing about the internet. It opens up the world to you. It makes information available to you. How you choose to use that information is purely up to you.
    ChrisJ
  • njtommy
    njtommy Member Posts: 1,105
    Options
    It also sends you into a deep rabbit hole and kills your entire day or night
    SWEIGordyJUGHNERich_49
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Options
    Nah...........I don't get that at all. I don't live my life, in fear. You have to be aware of things around you, that's all. When the government is telling you that everything is fine and wonderful, you're screwed. Nixon took us off the gold standard, but most Americans (myself included),always believed that the U.S. had massive gold reserves. The Federal Reserve refuses to audit the gold reserves...they say it would take too long. Quite a few countries have asked for a portion of their gold that is held by the Fed for safe keeping. They have been refused, and told it would be 10 years until they get it. The dollar is backed by nothing but trust. It is the currency used for all international transactions. China and several other major powers want to change that. It's just a matter of time, before they bankrupt this country. This government will respond by cranking up the presses and printing more dollars. The problem is, those dollars will be worth a dime. There will be no Social Security, or any entitlement programs and they may seize personal assets.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    ChrisJ said:

Paul48 said:

Raising the minimum wage does nothing to fix the source of the problem.......Lack of Jobs. We are the laughing stocks of the world, for giving our jobs away. Some are saying we need to stock up on ammunition, for what is coming.

Who, in the world specifically is saying that?
    Ammunition manufacturers?

I heard rumors that an HVAC manufacturer is saying you better stock up on capacitors, for what is coming.
    Now here in Missouri, gun owners find creative way to maximize their handguns use.

We have had several politicians inadvertently leave their handguns in the bathroom stalls up on capital hill.
    A bit of a steep learning curve for some of these newbie gun owners.

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Gordy
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    njtommy said:

What's the game plain on raising min wage?

So the number seems to be $15 an hour that's more then most of us started out at in this trade. Most of us started making peanuts and progressed up from their. I know a lot of guys bust there butts to make over $20 or even $3O an hour and taking years todo it. Now it's boom here is a $7 raise for the same job you have been doing. Mostly likely won't make people work harder or make them feel appreciated. Because now that the new minimum. They have to be paid that by law.

It's going to get very interesting if or when all this goes down.

WASHINGTON — District of Columbia Mayor Muriel Bowser (D) signed legislation Monday that will gradually hike the city’s minimum wage to $15, the latest in a string of victories for the union-backed Fight for $15 campaign.

At a signing ceremony at a D.C. pizzeria, Bowser argued that cities should lead the way in raising the minimum wage, just as they have in recent years.

“City councils and mayors can get the job done when it’s not done in Congress,” Bowser told a crowd of supporters and union members.

D.C.’s minimum wage had already been slated to rise from its current $10.50 to $11.50 per hour later this week. Under the new law, it will continue to increase each year, until it hits $15 in 2020. After that, the rate will be adjusted annually according to an inflation index. The schedule of hikes will put the wage floor in D.C. — one of the country’s most expensive cities — far above the federal minimum wage, which remains $7.25.

It was only 2 1/2 years ago that the D.C. Council passed a different bill that would increase the minimum wage by more than $3 an hour, and tie it to inflation in perpetuity — one of the most liberal measures in the country at the time. But in a sign of just how far the minimum wage debate has moved since then, city lawmakers took up a new, more aggressive proposal this year that would boost the wage floor more rapidly.

Not long ago, the thought of a $15 minimum wage was practically unimaginable. But labor unions and worker advocacy groups have had tremendous success pushing ambitious plans through city councils and state legislatures, despite strong opposition from business groups that say such an unprecedented wage floor will hurt employment. Seattle, San Francisco and Los Angeles all have passed $15 laws, as have the states of California and New York.

Like in Seattle, D.C.’s minimum wage plan succeeded in large part because of the threat of a ballot measure. The plan signed by Bowser on Monday will have only a modest minimum wage increase for tipped workers, rising from its current $2.77 to just $5 per hour before tips (employers are obligated to make up the difference if tips don’t put a worker over $15). Labor groups wanted $15 for all workers, and could have put such a measure before voters. In a win for the city’s restaurant industry, Bowser and members of the council precluded that with the legislation signed Monday.

The minimum wage tends to poll very well, and voters in many liberal cities have not shied away from $15. Delvone Michael, director of D.C. Working Families, said a ballot measure likely would have succeeded, taking the fate of the minimum wage out of legislators’ hands.

“Without pressure from working families, the council would not have acted,” Michael, whose group campaigned for the ballot measure, told The Huffington Post. “Sometimes it takes people to show the council the way.”

Michael said the raise for restaurant workers was a “step in the right direction,” though not as significant as backers had wanted. The city’s bars and restaurants launched a campaign aimed at beating back a dramatic rise in the tipped minimum wage, which is lower than the normal minimum wage in the majority of states. The industry warned that a $15 minimum wage would effectively end gratuities for servers and bartenders. Labor activists have been campaigning to end the tipped minimum wage at the federal and local levels, arguing that it creates a two-tier system and exacerbates income inequality.

The effects of the D.C. minimum wage law will be vast. The Economic Policy Institute, a left-leaning think tank, says the law would boost the hourly pay of roughly a fifth of the city’s private-sector workers. The D.C. Chamber of Commerce, meanwhile, has predicted that employers would cut benefits and reduce hiring to compensate the higher wages they must pay.

One local business that wasn’t buying that argument was &pizza, the D.C.-based pizza chain that hosted the bill signing. Liam Patrick, the company’s CFO, told HuffPost that &pizza, which has 15 locations in the area, campaigned for $15 because it already paid above minimum wage, and managers felt they could stand to pay more. Asked if that was a lonely position to stake out as a business, Patrick laughed and said, “There’s not that many that want this to happen.”

“Your employees really fuel the growth of the brand and not everybody sees it that way,” Patrick said. “We think that over the long term, you will grow and you will build your restaurant through your employees. Paying them the bare minimum doesn’t cut it.”

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,541
    Options
    If there were a labor shortage, there would be no need to raise the minimum wage, it would raise itself.
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
    Rich_49CLamb
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    edited June 2016
    Options
    If you really want to understand the gravity of min. Wage there is plenty of info. On the web.

I find the graphs quite interesting of the spending power of min. Wage since inception (1938) . They portray spending power in today's dollars verses the min. Wage history by its increases over the last 78 years. It's interesting to note the spikes in spending power correlated to historical world, or home land events. The spending power of min. Wage in 1968 was the largest spike.

At no time in the history of min. Wage has it ever achieved bringing people out of the poverty level. Nor was it meant to. Define living wage as how it is coupled to min. Wage.
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    Options
    Pulled the trigger.

Just hired Tim's brother today. No experience whatsoever in the heating business other than taking night classes this past year.

If he follows a similar path as Tim, I'll be very happy and so will he.
    Steve Minnich
    Canuckerrick in Alaska
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,708
    Options

Pulled the trigger.

Just hired Tim's brother today. No experience whatsoever in the heating business other than taking night classes this past year.

If he follows a similar path as Tim, I'll be very happy and so will he.

Sometimes fresh clay you can mold yourself is the best.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    Canucker
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    Options
    I could not agree more. At this point, that's my preference. Tim is doing load calcs and turning out to be a good fitter. I just follow him with the torch.
    Steve Minnich
  • rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,457
    Options
    Is the torch to keep him, "motivated"?
    Rick
    Tinmannjtommy
  • rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,457
    Options
    Oops. Forgot the lol.
    Hope he works out good for you, which it sounds like he will.
    Rick
    Tinman
  • t_lee05
    t_lee05 Member Posts: 16
    Options
    As a homeowner, I'd like to say I'd much prefer someone who has the necessary skillet to handle my steam heating system, rather than someone who says "yea, it's in working order and packs up and leaves!"
    Given the last two weeks, I have come to appreciate the skilled trades"person" who understands steam heat.