Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Labor Shortage?

Options

Comments

• GreenGene
    GreenGene Member Posts: 290
    Options
    If we had left things alone in the first place, left the regulations that kept the banks from becoming big none of this would have happened.

Regulations came to be for reasons, to stop bad things from happening again, people didn't sit around thinking "how can we hurt business", they were trying to prevent greed from hurting everyone.
  • GreenGene
    Options
    A good amount of quality info can be found here.

"The day after the Supreme Court effectively decided the fate of the 2000 Presidential election, the Commodity Futures Modernization Act of 2000 passed in Congress, attached as a rider to an 11,000-page spending bill. The legislation, passed without debate or review, exempted derivatives from regulation and made a special exemption for energy derivative trading
    that would gain notoriety as the “Enron loophole.” In a completely unregulated market, derivatives trading expanded quickly, increasing from a total outstanding nominal value of $106 trillion in 2001, to a value of $531 trillion in 2008. This rapid growth overwhelmed the legal and technological infrastructure of the industry. Commercial banks –
    the major players in the market – could make trades so quickly and enter contracts so freely that oftentimes no firm was certain who owed exactly how much to whom. Regulators placed their trust in the self-regulation of the firms to avoid potential risks. "

^ from Deregulation Timeline report \/

http://cepr.net/documents/publications/dereg-timeline-2009-07.pdf
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    All the above tells me it MAKES NO DIFFERENCE which party you support, they are both full of people who out for themselves and to hell with anybody else. This is exactly how the Soviet Union collapsed, they were all so busy stealing form the state the whole rotten thing just collapsed under it's own weight.

If you really want to do something about it vote all of them out of office and keep doing it till they start doing their jobs,

If you don't want to do that until it works, sit back and listen to this -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-pT-w7qFl4

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
    GreenGeneRich_49Gordy
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Options
    I don't have hard data. I only have what I see. In 2006, I was working for a major manufacturing facility ( now closed). They were bringing in folks through "Temp" agencies, then. They drove their BMW's and Jaguars to our shop for $11.00/hr because they couldn't find work. I guess everyone's perception of "good" is different.
    GreenGene
  • GreenGene
    Options
    BobC it's exactly how every great society fell.

Greed.

The Romans are a prime example, so is the King of England, just imagine if he had been fair, still incredibly rich and powerful, just fair, this and many other places would still be a British colony.

Greed implodes and we're imploding.

You're right, they own it all, every politician except a very few, Congress exempted itself from Insider Trading laws and that's how they get paid off, there are other ways but that's the main one, that's how a freshman in Congress with a net worth of 500k becomes a multi millionaire within 1-2 years.

Nice work if you can get it.......but it hurts a lot of people.
    Rich_49
  • Paul48
    Options
    People need to study what it meant for countries to join the European Union. It was, and is much more than a trade alliance. We are proposing entering into a similar alliance. Everyone needs to understand what that means for this country. Do the homework, and judge for yourself.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    ChrisJ said:

Do you have an accurate source we can go by for statistics on unemployment?

Try http://www.shadowstats.com/

• Paul48
    edited June 2016
    Options
    That's better than I thought...Only 23%. There is something to look forward to......In about 20 years, China will be sending all it's manufacturing here, for the cheap labor. :wink:
  • GreenGene
    Options
    what it means across the board is that the corporations want to bring down labor costs to put the money in their pocket, they don't care about America, or Americans, or the Middle Class, I could name names but it started in 1980 and many people fell for it

remember the phrase "these are jobs that Americans don't want" or " moving these jobs outside the US will bring down consumer costs because Americans are too expensive and want too much money"

and everyone pointed fingers at American workers but forgot to look in the mirror
    ChrisJ
  • BobC
    Options
    Remember Ross Perot's warning about that giant sucking sound? he was right, jobs will start to equalize as soon as our wages were lower or the same as the low wage countries.

First you give the undesirable jobs away and then it works it's way up until you have an economy with the rich and the poor but no middle class.

Looks like the trickle down economy is working just like they planned.

Bob
    3PSI gauge
    GreenGene
  • Paul48
    Options
    You staff the factory with Temps, at minimum wage, and offer no benefits, at all. Workers have to work 2 full-time jobs to come close to making ends meet. If the company offers a medical plan, the premiums are very high, and you take 4,5 or 6 grand out of your pocket before they pay a penny( my company), and every other in the area. But you can contribute to a tax free Health Savings Account( with some of the money you're not getting paid). There's no pension, but you can contribute to the 401K (with more of that money). I know...stop whining.
  • Paul48
    Options
    The prevailing wage in this open market is $1 a day.
    gennadyGreenGeneSWEI
  • BobC
    Options
    The implied contract between labor and management is broken and the country is poorer for it, A beggar thy neighbor economy will just run us into the ground.

i don't know what the answer is but we had better find it before it's too late.

Bob
    3PSI gauge
    GreenGene
  • Paul48
    Options
    I don't have a cell phone. I could quit my job, and get one from the government for free. :wink: Most of the Temps live in section 8 rentals, and have government phones. Actually, I'm not crushed by the situation I see around me. I am not a Temp, and my wage is still pretty good. They have taken away a lot of the money that I would use for discretionary spending. As my fellow workers leave or retire, they are replaced by Temps, if replaced at all.
  • BobC
    Options
    When i entered the workforce the implied contract was if you worked hard you could work your way up the scale and get a better paying job. If you were a good employee you were also shielded from job cuts when things got slow, if things got bad you might lose the job but they tried to keep the good workers because when things picked up you needed their skills to build the products to fill the orders. I worked there for almost 30 years, we kept 100 people employed most of the time and over half of them had 20 years there. I started at entry level out of high school and worked my way up into engineering and into management. Nobody got rich but you could raise a family on what you made.

I knew we had gone to a bad place when the new owner of the plant told me too many of the workers at the plant were overpaid, they didn't have 20 or 30 years of experience, they had 1 years experience that was just repeated 20 or 30 times. That kind of thinking is why there are so few decent jobs in this country now.

That plant was shuttered 15 months later, I was the last employee out the door. The new owner took the government for $750k he got for "creating" new jobs. He took the money and moved to Pennsylvania and tried the same thing there. By the way the new management team were all MBA's (Makes Better A**holes), they knew the cost of everything and the value of nothing.

Bob
    3PSI gauge
    Rich_49gennadyGreenGene
  • Paul48
    Options
    @BobC

I've heard the same comments at my company. The Temps they bring in are trained by other Temps, that in a lot of cases have a few months of experience. The quality continues to go down, and they continue buying cheaper raw materials.
  • BobC
    Options
    This is what happens when the people in charge don't know what they are doing. They know a tremendous amount about a small area and ASSUME that means they understand EVERYTHING. Having worked through and managed every aspect of manufacturing for a couple of decades I can tell you that is true of a TINY number of people and none I know of have MBA's - they tend to come from the school of hard knocks.

It really upsets me when I see companies get bought up and crushed so they can wring out any latent value. If it were truly a case of creative destruction, that would be understandable - not pleasant but understandable. All this mindless churning does is make money for a group of people who cold give two sh*ts about the company or any shareholders unfortunate enough to be holding shares. It enriches people who care nothing about people or society.

At one time there was a concept of noblesse oblige, to whom much is given, much is expected. We have lost that concept and are falling down the same rat hole the soviets did when their country was going down the hole.

I expect better from this nation,

Bob
    3PSI gauge
  • 4Johnpipe
    4Johnpipe Member Posts: 480
    Options
    Race to the bottom...
    LANGAN'S PLUMBING & HEATING LLC
    Considerate People, Considerate Service, Consider It Done!
    732-751-1560
    email: langansph@yahoo.com
    www.langansplumbing.com
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Options
    A race to the top while running in place John..
    4Johnpipe
  • 4Johnpipe
    4Johnpipe Member Posts: 480
    edited June 2016
    Options
    This...

Darn it will not post...sad face...
    LANGAN'S PLUMBING & HEATING LLC
    Considerate People, Considerate Service, Consider It Done!
    732-751-1560
    email: langansph@yahoo.com
    www.langansplumbing.com
  • Paul48
    Options
    " Absolute power, corrupts absolutely"
    Rich_49Tinman
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,677
    Options

BobC said:

The implied contract between labor and management is broken and the country is poorer for it, A beggar thy neighbor economy will just run us into the ground.

i don't know what the answer is but we had better find it before it's too late.

Bob

"implied contract"

Please explain.
    The implied contract is I give you a fair days work and you in return, give me a fair days pay. People live good, and work good.

It's pretty simple really.

Instead, we've got people who do the absolute minimum to not get fired, and employers that pay the absolute minimum to not make desperate employees quit. A **** days work, for **** pay. Then, those employees get paid by the government just so they can eat, typically garbage food because quality food is expensive.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    Rich_49gennady
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,143
    Options
    I'm amazed how many people I run across that are on disability due to a workplace injury. Wonder how many employees research and plan that incident?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Rich_49gennady4Johnpipe
  • Paul48
    Options
    Yeah........There's nothing wrong with the system. It's all the worker's fault. They are all lazy and fake injuries.
  • hot_rod
    Options
    Paul48 said:

Yeah........There's nothing wrong with the system. It's all the worker's fault. They are all lazy and fake injuries.

I don't think I stated or implied that ALL are lazy and fake injuries?

Seems you have an issue with all my posts, what's up Paul?

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    hot rod said:

Paul48 said:

I don't think I stated or implied that ALL are lazy and fake injuries?

Seems you have an issue with all my posts, what's up Paul?

He seemed to have an issue with me as well for some reason, I think he just gets a bit emotional on the subject. Would probably be a different conversation in person.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    Robert O'Brien
  • GreenGene
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Hatterasguy and others in the same thoughts

What you have to do is go and learn about the Robber Baron era, this is post Civil War, the barons were the people some honor, they even have a tv series about the men who made America like they are gods, they are not and those mansions in RI? built on the blood of Americans.

These people were exploiters, they screwed people so bad, there were NO LABOR LAWS, they are the reason for all of them. You worked until they said to, 14, 18 , 22 hours a day, YOU got paid with a company voucher that you could only use at the company store, it was set up as it is now for you to be in debt.

People died, kids died, and they dragged out and brought in another and that was that.

The song 16 Tons is about that era and is factual.

The people today like Cheney(mills) and many others on Wall st are the grandchildren of those barons and since 1980 they have carefully crafted propaganda and legislation to bring us back to that glory era for them, and HELL for us.

What will happen eventually is the people will erupt as they did in early 1900's and laws will get passed and around it will go again.

But you need to know your history, this is by design, when Reagan and Bush got into office they rewrote the labor laws and millions of people went from hourly to salary.

In one fell swoop they engineered the largest Transfer of Wealth in the History of the World, there have been 3-4 since that top that one. CFMA of 2000 is one.

Many corporations like Walmart have been embroiled in many lawsuits involving pay, look it up, my cousin works at a hospital and the manager makes them punch out before they clean the kitchen, THAT"S ILLEGAL and that's the way it is today and you can say well he should quit, and do WHAT??? the govt won't back you, your chances of finding another job are slim.

These are not good times.
    Rich_49Gordygennady
  • GreenGene
    Options
    Ever heard of the Ludlow Massacre???

read it up below, this is what they did when you had enough, they brought in goons and the army and they shot you, your wife and your children--- that's what these men are really like

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ludlow_Massacre

Gordygennady
  • njtommy
    njtommy Member Posts: 1,105
    Options
    @hot rod I hope to never get hurt at work. Workers comp doctors suck and on top of that the pay is is 60% of normal rate NJ. I would gain nothing by doing so.
    On top of that have OSHA 30 training would just help to push the blame back on me any way.

We have all done stuff at work that isn't safe, but we all try to make it home at the end of the day.
  • GreenGene
    edited June 2016
    Options
    You also have to remember we had a very slim window of victory, prior to WWII the Middle class did not exist, the Gi Bill created it, and as people prospered so did the system.

This is known as Middle Class Discretionary Spending and it is what really drives an economy, not Trickle Down. The 60's were the first major majority to go to college and have a real education and that also caused an awakening and the riots, protests. By the 70's and early 80's we the Middle Class were doing pretty well but as Reagans policies took hold it started dipping, raises became 2-3%, banks were allowed to grow large again (hello New Depression) all of the laws that were enacted after the Robber Baron era and the Great Depression were advertized as bad, still are even though deregulation caused the crash we are living in that started in 2000, they say "stupid big govt getting in the way" and people bought it because they don't know or remember their history.

What's wild is they created the unions by being terrible to people.

As an actor Reagan was big on the union and became it's head, he took on the studios and that is why actors, writers etc all get royalties and residuals, the studio used to get it all even reruns.

Then he became a spokesperson for GE and things changed, they offered him a new career, first as Gov and then President where he attacked unions.

Don't the same rules apply for him and us? Kind of a contradiction there eh?

Does the economy do better when the actors, writers and directors and all get good pay from the film and then the resales or would it be better for the studio to get it all and they get $14hr??
    gennadyHatterasguy
  • hot_rod
    Options
    njtommy said:

@hot rod I hope to never get hurt at work. Workers comp doctors suck and on top of that the pay is is 60% of normal rate NJ. I would gain nothing by doing so.

On top of that have OSHA 30 training would just help to push the blame back on me any way.

We have all done stuff at work that isn't safe, but we all try to make it home at the end of the day.

I met an insurance guy on a plane recently. He investigates insurance fraud, which costs all of us. He gets photos of guys throwing firewood and shoveling snow with 100% back injury disability. I suspect some of the folks on un-employment and disability could easily still find work, at least volunteer.

I don't put all or most in this category, same with tax fraud. Some take advantage of slow economy to game the system.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    gennady
  • njtommy
    njtommy Member Posts: 1,105
    Options
    I would say I'm surprised at that @hot rod, but I'm really not. I know a few people who tried that it didn't work out so well for them.
  • Paul48
    Options
    @hot rod @ChrisJ

If those didn't imply, exactly what they said, we are all crazy. Tap-dance as much as you want. In person, I'd have much more to say, trust me. Man up, if that's your opinion.
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    hot rod,

Apparently @Paul48 does have a problem with us.

My mistake.
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    ChrisJ said:

hot rod,

My mistake.

Not that it's any of my business but the only problem I see is that Paul doesn't agree with you guys on this particular issue. Happens all the time around here.
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    Fred said:

ChrisJ said:

hot rod,

My mistake.

Not that it's any of my business but the only problem I see is that Paul doesn't agree with you guys on this particular issue. Happens all the time around here.
    NOBODY ASKED YOU FRED!
    :)
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    ChrisJ said:

Fred said:

ChrisJ said:

hot rod,

My mistake.

NOBODY ASKED YOU FRED!
    :)
    I guess you got a problem with me? :)
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
    Options
    We used to have a family of "scrapers" or "junkers" if you will.
    If you had a pile of limbs/lumber etc they would come haul it away for a small fee. If you wanted a furnace/boiler out of the basement that is who you called. That was their station in life, people would call them for this type of work.
    The next generation of them was convinced by the social worker establishment that they were disabled. They get that check and all the other bennies, once you qualify for one program it begets another etc. One of them will still do small jobs...cash only. They have become so entitled that their future generations will know no other way. It is an old story but grows deeper every year.
    gennady
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
    edited June 2016
    Options
    They are big time con artists.

The ones I refer to are walked into and thru the entitlement system by social workers who must have a quota or are concerned about their jobs....what if no one needs help.....am I needed!

The state of Nebraska has fallen from 43rd to 47th in the nation for having children sign up for free summer school meals.
    This has been brought to light in recent news broadcasts. Now the radio runs numerous public service ads for this program, reminding parents of free meals. Our little school does not offer it.

I'm sure there are hungry children in this country somewhere, but maybe not many in this state.

However they promote free lunches during the school year. The state aid to schools is based on how many students are signed up for the free lunches. How logical is that? Many parents want to believe that they can pay to feed their family....other requirements maybe not....but food on the table from mom & dad is still a pride issue for many.
    When we had 4 kids at home, we qualified for the freebie. Rather than have to saddle that stigma on the kids of a "free lunch" is always available, they got a weekly paycheck to cash and spend as they chose. Lunch lady called once that child #3 was out of lunch money and owed. Mother said not our problem....don't feed him...he could skip lunch (and still could now). She never called again.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    edited June 2016
    Options
    hot rod said:

I'm amazed how many people I run across that are on disability due to a workplace injury.

It's an epidemic. This is absolutely worth the time it takes to watch/read.