Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam heat is amazing...

Comments

• Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    @Gordy, don't feel bad! I get a "Disagree" from a poster for just about everything. I suspect even, when that poster doesn't disagree. It's the price we pay for having an opinion and maybe for sharing it with those who like to think their opinion is the only one that counts. At least ttekushan's view point is thoughtful, meaningful and not intended to be vindictive. In this case, He simply seems to disagree with what was said.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,980
    This has been -- and continues to be -- a fascinating thread. I thought it might be... @ttekushan 's remarks are right on the money regarding green and carbon footprint though, however inconvenient that truth may be (to coin a phrase?). Overall environmental impacts -- from cradle to grave -- are difficult to quantify, though by no means impossible, but that's a whole different discussion -- and one which is usually not particularly productive, as almost everyone sees part of the picture (with great enthusiasm) but very few seem to be able (or willing?) to put the whole picture together.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 16,099

This has been -- and continues to be -- a fascinating thread. I thought it might be... @ttekushan 's remarks are right on the money regarding green and carbon footprint though, however inconvenient that truth may be (to coin a phrase?). Overall environmental impacts -- from cradle to grave -- are difficult to quantify, though by no means impossible, but that's a whole different discussion -- and one which is usually not particularly productive, as almost everyone sees part of the picture (with great enthusiasm) but very few seem to be able (or willing?) to put the whole picture together.

If you want to talk about what's green and has a small environmental impact we need to talk about monitor top refrigerators. ;)
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    MarkSvaporvacttekushan_3
  • MarkS
    MarkS Member Posts: 75
    Coming in to this thread a bit late, but I wanted to address something Mark Eatherton said earlier:

If a person were to take,say a Burnham MPO, and place a nice chain mail burner assembly with a neg-reg gas train on the combustion chamber, AND place a sensor in the center of the steam drum to sense temperature instead of pressure (archaic method of control), AND return leg AND the OSA, and program its operation to modulate around a floating steam set point temperature (rather narrow range, understood) that you would then have a modulating steam boiler with a nearly infinite modulating range. The ultimate in efficiency might then be achievable with significant energy reduction potentials as it pertains to low pressure steam applications.

Mark, in the spirit of civil discourse, can you explain your position that pressure is an archaic form of control? What advantage do you see with using temperature as the controlling variable rather than pressure in your example? I ask as one with 30+ years of experience designing control systems for industrial processes. Pressure, temperature, flow, pH, conductivity, etc. are all valid sources for process control. Which one you use depends on what you can measure, how accurately you can measure it, and the rate of response of the measurement.

I've no doubt your temperature control strategy could work for systems running above 1/2 psi. There's almost a 10 deg F span of control between 0 and 3 psi. But when you get into near-vapor pressures that guys like myself and @ChrisJ are running, that span narrows considerably, and there I think pressure rules the day.

Case in point: A Midco LNB modulating burner has been running on my steamer for almost 3 years. It modulates on pressure, currently controlling to 0.5 inches of water column at the boiler. The burner modulates from its high fire of 240 MBH down to around 150 MBH to maintain that pressure. An OSA sensor feeds an outdoor reset algorithm that adjusts burner run time and maintains indoor temperature within 0.7 degree F.

21st century automation on a 19th century heating system. Was it expensive? Yes. Will I see a return on the investment? Eventually, but that wasn't as important as saving fuel, reducing emissions, and improving indoor comfort. Now, is this system as efficient as a mod-con? Of course not. But I dare say it's as efficient as it can be. For many of us who obsess over our steam systems, that's the whole point.
    1890 near-vapor one pipe steam system | Operating pressure: 0.25 oz | 607 sf EDR
    Midco LNB-250 Modulating Gas Burner | EcoSteam ES-50 modulating controls | 70 to 300 MBH |
    3009 sf | 3 floors | 14 radiators | Utica SFE boiler | 4 mains, 135 ft | Gorton & B&J Big Mouth vents
    ChrisJGordy
  • Mark N
    Mark N Member Posts: 1,115
    Exactly how efficient my steam system is, I have no idea. What I do know is how much is cost me to operate. I've been tracking my gas usage since I converted from oil to gas in Dec. 2008. I track my usage monthly by my utility bill and also by the year. From 12/12/14 to 12/15/15 my total gas usage was 1,145.092 therms at a total cost of $787.74. My usage for heat was 804.064 therms at a cost of $553.14. From my own experiences my system is inexpensive to operate and keeps the house very comfortable. I don't use set back and the thermostat is left at 70 from November till April. My boiler is a Burnham IN-4 and I'm located in Central NJ.
  • Kjmass1
    Kjmass1 Member Posts: 241
    Mark N said:

Exactly how efficient my steam system is, I have no idea. What I do know is how much is cost me to operate. I've been tracking my gas usage since I converted from oil to gas in Dec. 2008. I track my usage monthly by my utility bill and also by the year. From 12/12/14 to 12/15/15 my total gas usage was 1,145.092 therms at a total cost of $787.74. My usage for heat was 804.064 therms at a cost of $553.14. From my own experiences my system is inexpensive to operate and keeps the house very comfortable. I don't use set back and the thermostat is left at 70 from November till April. My boiler is a Burnham IN-4 and I'm located in Central NJ.

Wow your gas is cheap in NJ. I pay $1.25+ per therm in MA last year.
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    edited January 2016
    Gordy said:

So @ttekushan by you giving me a disagree I must have offended you. That's fine the taunting started on the steam side with efficiencies. If you go back to the beginning.

Nothing's free. Bottom line.

To each there own. I do not dislike steam, and mean no disrespect. Some times just like to have fun. I think steam is quite amazing even outside the heating aspect.
  • ttekushan_3
    ttekushan_3 Member Posts: 960
    @MarkS , @Mark Eatherton,
    Greetings: I think pressure is a legitimate and perhaps a more sensitive measure of what's going on in the steam chest of a boiler, assuming it's all steam and no air. There won't be any superheat. Being intimately familiar with a system with a pair of full modulation steamers (5:1 turndown), a high CFM unit heater turning on somewhere or another will show up as an uptick in one or another of the Honeywell Modutrol motors controlling each burner. We have 250 boiler HP available at full power and even when the pair are cruising around 3:1 or lower, a 350,000 BTU unit heater turning on the blower will have a visible effect on whichever burner is closest to the next step up in firing. Invariably one motor arm will move a few degrees higher. This happens in under a minute, the physical distance from the boiler room being a few hundred feet away.

Most important is what we do with those measures.

BTW, @Mark Eatherton I hope things are well at the RPA et al. Some of vaporheads really appreciate what you do.

@MarkS, I don't know what rock I've been hiding under to have missed the most salient details, but the ECOSteam looks very intriguing for a current project. I will read more about during my next night of insomnia. Which should be in the next day or two. :smiley:

@ChrisJ , the description of standing cast iron radiators as a filter/smoothing capacitor is an excellent analogy. Instead of current leading the voltage, we have steam volume leading the temperature-- which makes the ECOSteam such a good choice.

Regarding modulation, your earlier query of what the true benefits of full modulation really are: Frankly, with Big Iron Capacitors, I think it's less of an issue, but I do very much like the idea of the air being expelled and being held away until the whole thing is done for the cycle.

But controlling the firing rate based on demand/odr would work great with steam, assuming excellent venting/balance and/or vac operation.

@Jamie Hall, I'm glad you understand that the whole issue occurs in a much, much larger system. Global, even! I just try to remain cognizant of it, that's all.
    terry
    ChrisJ
  • ttekushan_3
    @Gordy , thanks. It's all good. I'll check my oversensitivity at the door next time. :smiley:

"I think steam is quite amazing even outside the heating aspect." Oh yes. Nothing like watching steam explosion/implosion videos for a lesson in "steam gone wild!"
    terry
  • ChrisJ
    I do believe most power plants use steam as well hydroelectric aside of course
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • ttekushan_3
    About 89% of electric power generation in the USA is done with steam turbines, including coal, gas, and nuclear [nukular?]. Here's an EIA screenshot. I still think harnessing all that latent heat could really be put to good use. Perhaps thermal energy storage is the place we really need to be, technologically? You get to keep and use power plant waste heat and store solar as well.

Cool monitor top, BTW, @ChrisJ . I had one for awhile about 20 years ago, but found myself in one of those situations where I had no room for it at the time. :'( I found a good home for it, though. And I remember it was virtually unnoticeable on the electric bill and could chill cases of warm soft drinks in the hottest weather in no time. SO2, of course.

terry
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,347
    @Bob Bona no clogged or leaking returns on Jamie's system, he has a guardian angel.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
    Bob Bona_4Mark EathertonZman
  • Gordy
    Fred said:

@Gordy, don't feel bad! I get a "Disagree" from a poster for just about everything. I suspect even, when that poster doesn't disagree. It's the price we pay for having an opinion and maybe for sharing it with those who like to think their opinion is the only one that counts. At least ttekushan's view point is thoughtful, meaningful and not intended to be vindictive. In this case, He simply seems to disagree with what was said.

I don't mind disagrees @Fred . But I'd do mind being taken as offensive when that is not my intentions. As @ChrisJ said we are all friends around here. Hence my childhood remarks friends would always throw around.
    Mark EathertonZman
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,347
    Trouble with typing, tone does not come through most times. Fun thread though.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
    "Mark, in the spirit of civil discourse, can you explain your position that pressure is an archaic form of control? What advantage do you see with using temperature as the controlling variable rather than pressure in your example? I ask as one with 30+ years of experience designing control systems for industrial processes. Pressure, temperature, flow, pH, conductivity, etc. are all valid sources for process control. Which one you use depends on what you can measure, how accurately you can measure it, and the rate of response of the measurement.

I've no doubt your temperature control strategy could work for systems running above 1/2 psi. There's almost a 10 deg F span of control between 0 and 3 psi. But when you get into near-vapor pressures that guys like myself and @ChrisJ are running, that span narrows considerably, and there I think pressure rules the day.

Case in point: A Midco LNB modulating burner has been running on my steamer for almost 3 years. It modulates on pressure, currently controlling to 0.5 inches of water column at the boiler. The burner modulates from its high fire of 240 MBH down to around 150 MBH to maintain that pressure. An OSA sensor feeds an outdoor reset algorithm that adjusts burner run time and maintains indoor temperature within 0.7 degree F.

21st century automation on a 19th century heating system. Was it expensive? Yes. Will I see a return on the investment? Eventually, but that wasn't as important as saving fuel, reducing emissions, and improving indoor comfort. Now, is this system as efficient as a mod-con? Of course not. But I dare say it's as efficient as it can be. For many of us who obsess over our steam systems, that's the whole point."

Mark, your point on vapor pressures are well taken. I've followed your efforts to create the ultimate vapor pressure controllers. Most people would not go through the girations you have to gain the degree of control that you have gained. Kudos to you for persistence. I don't think I need to go into much explanation about why pneumatics on the load side, (vapor pressure switch unreliability). We know the direct relationship of temperature and pressure and with todays DDC controls, in my minds eye, it just makes for a tighter, more repeatable control logic. It doesn't come without baggage, no logic does. America will continue to do what Amercans do, and that is grab whats convenient, regardless of its accuracy, and cross you fingers in the hopes that it will be somewhere near the range you are trying to control with. Repeatability is a serious issue with all mechanical controls that I've dealt with. Too many variables to contend with, based on the resistance of a simple spring assembly. It's the nature of the beast that we have become accustomed to. Remember, other than this elite group of vapor heads, most homeowners won't be sitting in front of their boiler documenting the exact operation of their physical plant, and fine tuning to the inth degree. They (regular Joe homeonwers) have NO idea what they are missing out on :smiley:

As it pertains to industrial control applications (pneumatics) I am familiar with the technology, in fact one of the first classes I took at opportunity school, was on Pneumatic controls. I still find myself recalling what I was taught in that course, from over 30 years ago. What really kills me about that scenario in todays economics is the fact that some much energy (compressors) are waste in the course of controlling a given factor. DDC has been in the field for well over 20 years that I am aware of, and can completely displace pneumatic controls to a much higher degree, increasing control quality, and reducing parasitic (compressor) waste. It might not be applicable to every situation, but I have watched as schools and other buildings that were pneumatically controlled we converted to DDC with a significant impact on comfort and energy consumption. Set up right, pneumatics (obviously) work fantastic, however, the number of properly trained qualified pneumatics control technicians is dwindling FAST. Keep up the great work.

Terry said," I think pressure is a legitimate and perhaps a more sensitive measure of what's going on in the steam chest of a boiler, assuming it's all steam and no air. There won't be any superheat. Being intimately familiar with a system with a pair of full modulation steamers (5:1 turndown), a high CFM unit heater turning on somewhere or another will show up as an uptick in one or another of the Honeywell Modutrol motors controlling each burner. We have 250 boiler HP available at full power and even when the pair are cruising around 3:1 or lower, a 350,000 BTU unit heater turning on the blower will have a visible effect on whichever burner is closest to the next step up in firing. Invariably one motor arm will move a few degrees higher. This happens in under a minute, the physical distance from the boiler room being a few hundred feet away.

Most important is what we do with those measures.

BTW, @Mark Eatherton I hope things are well at the RPA et al. Some of vaporheads really appreciate what you do."

Excellent observation on externally induced pressure differential Terry. That's why I appreciate your take on things. It is based on real time field observations that most people wouldn't even give attention to.

My comments were more directed at a simple residential steam control system, and not the industrial applications you deal with in the field. And as you pointed out, in certain cases, pneumatic control does make sense where you have variables that are so subtle that a DDC system might not pick up on the effect of that variable in a short time frame.

Thank you also for the kudos on the RPA. It has been a long hard row to hoe, but the seedlings are starting to raise their heads, and the horizon looks bright. We appreciate your support, and quite honestly, my involvement has been from the perspective of making a difference for the contractors.

Keep up the great work Terry and please don't be a stranger. I think I can safely say that everyone here wants to hear/see your perspective on any topic.

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• ChrisJ
    edited January 2016
    Mark E,

"America will continue to do what Amercans do, and that is grab whats convenient, regardless of its accuracy, and cross you fingers in the hopes that it will be somewhere near the range you are trying to control with."

Yes, and being it seems most Americans will buy products made in China to save 10 cents while putting themselves out of work, you can be assured they will be putting forced hot air in their houses.

I've seen people build $500-800K homes and then put in forced hot air because "there wasn't enough money in the budget for radiant". 5 bathrooms for 2 people was more important than having a quality heating system.

Mark EathertonCharlie from wmass
  • bob_46
    bob_46 Member Posts: 813
    %

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,554
    Steam or hot water, it's all hydronics. Warm air is the enemy.
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
    ChrisJ
  • ChrisJ

Steam or hot water, it's all hydronics. Warm air is the enemy.

Let's be completely honest.
    If you're a professional on this website, forced hot air and ignorance is taking money out of your pocket, not steam.

Ever since I started following two groups on FB that show pictures of bad installs I've seen quite a few bad forced air installs, even deadly, so it's not just steam that's being hacked.
  • MarkS
    MarkS Member Posts: 75

I don't think I need to go into much explanation about why pneumatics on the load side, (vapor pressure switch unreliability)...

Set up right, pneumatics (obviously) work fantastic

Thank you for your comments, Mark. I did not realize that you were talking about pneumatics as the mechanism of control. I agree their day has come and largely gone, replaced by electronic and now digital control systems. To clarify, my system is DDC, using an electronic pressure transmitter which provides a 4-20ma signal to the control system. I'm not sitting in the basement fooling with mechanical or pneumatic controls. No siree, there's no time for that, there's software to be written and data to be gathered! :)
    1890 near-vapor one pipe steam system | Operating pressure: 0.25 oz | 607 sf EDR
    Midco LNB-250 Modulating Gas Burner | EcoSteam ES-50 modulating controls | 70 to 300 MBH |
    3009 sf | 3 floors | 14 radiators | Utica SFE boiler | 4 mains, 135 ft | Gorton & B&J Big Mouth vents
    Mark Eatherton
  • Gordy
    There is hacks in every facet of construction Chris.
    ChrisJMark Eatherton
  • Gordy
    The sad part is the people that do it right, and point out the wrongs of the hacks are labeled fear mongers by the general consumer.
    ChrisJMark Eatherton
  • ChrisJ
    Gordy said:

There is hacks in every facet of construction Chris.

And every language. :o
  • ChrisJ
    I don't care who you are, that was funny. :D
    Gordy
  • Gordy
    edited January 2016
    "Are" Mr. Grammar. Actually "is" seems to be exceptable in the plural sense anymore.

Y'all got me Chris :#
  • Major7
    Major7 Member Posts: 44
    As a forced air home owner for over 20 years, I'm delighted to be on steam heat for the last few seasons.

No loud forced air woosh (by comparison, steam is quiet)
    When the furnace turns off, you still get heat. With forced air, you could feel the cold creeping in immediately. I've found it far easier to maintain a stable temperature in my steam heated home.
    Steam Radiators are cool looking.
    Changing temperatures in rooms with a radiator are easier than messing with both cold air returns and register vents.
    No furnace filters or duct cleaning to screw around with

That's my list....
  • Gordy
    Most people like information. To much information can never hurt. The lack of it leaves way to many loop holes for the contractor, and the consumer.

Would you buy a new car if all the seller told you it is a Ford, and it will get your from point A to point B?
  • ChrisJ
    Gordy said:

Most people like information. To much information can never hurt. The lack of it leaves way to many loop holes for the contractor, and the consumer.

Would you buy a new car if all the seller told you it is a Ford, and it will get your from point A to point B?

Well,
    We can start with I don't believe a word any car salesman ever says, so what he babbles is irrelevant. :)

I know what I want before I even leave to go to the dealer.

Bad example IMO Gordy.
    Charlie from wmass
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,756
    Gordy said:

You went wrong there with Chris, he wouldn't be caught dead in a Ford dealer. ;)
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    Charlie from wmass
  • ChrisJ
    KC_Jones said:

Gordy said:

You went wrong there with Chris, he wouldn't be caught dead in a Ford dealer. ;)
    Why are you spreading lies and rumors like this?
    You should be ashamed of yourself and I want an apology.

I don't care where I am when I'm dead.
    Canucker
  • Chester
    Chester Member Posts: 83
    As a homeowner going through our first winter with a well-installed modcon, I can testify to the fact that 'comfort' was the first thing we noticed. Mark describes it perfectly.

Heating the house with 'gently warmed water' is a dramatic change and was something I didn't really expect or fully understand, since we were going first and foremost for cost and efficiency. But the radiators are always just warm enough and the house is just comfortable. You really don't notice it. No noise, no funny smell from toasting dust on the radiators and during more moderate weather the radiators don't even feel 'warm' because they stay pretty close to ambient air temp. Ironically, the loudest part of my system is the condensate pump. But that's a happy sound :smile:
    Mark Eathertonjonny88
  • ChrisJ
    Chester said:

As a homeowner going through our first winter with a well-installed modcon, I can testify to the fact that 'comfort' was the first thing we noticed. Mark describes it perfectly.

Heating the house with 'gently warmed water' is a dramatic change and was something I didn't really expect or fully understand, since we were going first and foremost for cost and efficiency. But the radiators are always just warm enough and the house is just comfortable. You really don't notice it. No noise, no funny smell from toasting dust on the radiators and during more moderate weather the radiators don't even feel 'warm' because they stay pretty close to ambient air temp. Ironically, the loudest part of my system is the condensate pump. But that's a happy sound :smile:

Loudest part of my steam system is the gas valve.

I'm going to assume you paid someone to rip out a steam system?
  • Gordy
    Neither do I Chris. I can't imagine anyone that would go to a dealership without knowing what they want.

But there are people that do depend on a salesman. More so in arenas of things they do not have a clue about. Such as......comfort systems.

You paint using a broad brush with salesmen Chris. In the end a contractor is a salesman. How well he paints his picture to the prospective consumer will yield the best results. Hence ME's description of his proposals, and how he sells himself. At a price worth every penny to his company, and the consumer.
    ChrisJ said:

Gordy said:

Well,
    We can start with I don't believe a word any car salesman ever says, so what he babbles is irrelevant. :)

I know what I want before I even leave to go to the dealer.

Bad example IMO Gordy.
    Mark EathertonCanucker
  • Gordy
    KC_Jones said:

Gordy said:

I would have thought Chris to be a Ford lover. He likes to tinker B)

ChrisJCanucker
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,756
    lol no I am the Ford man. I drive a Pontiac right now for everyday, but my "fun" car is a Ford and the wife's car is a Ford.

2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    Gordy
  • Chester
    Chester Member Posts: 83
    ChrisJ said:

Chester said:

No, sorry. I know this is a steam thread and wasn't going to opine but Mark's comment really stuck a chord. I've never lived with steam myself but I have many neighbors that have single pipe steam systems who were deciding whether to rip them out for hydronic now that we have natgas available. These are homes with relatively small heating loads and folks were generally satisfied with what they had. Unfortunately, very few local contractors are willing to do fuel conversions on older equipment. My situation was a no-brainer since I had a boiler that needed replacing and lots of cast iron hot water radiators, but I thought most people actually would be better off sticking with what they have. Two of my neighbors went whole hog with a modcon, new pipe and panel radiators. They have great systems but I'm sure guys already know what something like that costs.

For cost and comfort, my observation is that many folks with older but serviceable steam should probably look at putting their money in air sealing to and insulation to manage comfort and cost -- and having their steam tuned by a qualified profession -- before they pony up for a completely new system.

• ChrisJ
    edited January 2016
    Chester said:

ChrisJ said:

Chester said:

No, sorry. I know this is a steam thread and wasn't going to opine but Mark's comment really stuck a chord. I've never lived with steam myself but I have many neighbors that have single pipe steam systems who were deciding whether to rip them out for hydronic now that we have natgas available. These are homes with relatively small heating loads and folks were generally satisfied with what they had. Unfortunately, very few local contractors are willing to do fuel conversions on older equipment. My situation was a no-brainer since I had a boiler that needed replacing and lots of cast iron hot water radiators, but I thought most people actually would be better off sticking with what they have. Two of my neighbors went whole hog with a modcon, new pipe and panel radiators. They have great systems but I'm sure guys already know what something like that costs.

For cost and comfort, my observation is that many folks with older but serviceable steam should probably look at putting their money in air sealing to and insulation to manage comfort and cost -- and having their steam tuned by a qualified profession -- before they pony up for a completely new system.

Not sure why a boiler replacement would justify ripping out an entire system. I converted my system from oil to natgas just by replacing the boiler.

If I had a hot water system with cast iron radiators I'm not sure if I would do a modcon or cast iron to be honest. due to all of the reasons mentioned throughout the thread. I do see why varying the temperature would be nice for comfort, but not sure about the extra costs associated with it.

As far as converting, or tearing out a steam system for it, that's a flat out NO.
  • Gordy
    The behemoth boiler in the basement, and low hanging pipes is why most want to b rid of it. Gain space in the basement.
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,354
    >>and for every hour that they are doing business, they are losing money.<<

My experience forty years ago was similar. It was a two way street. Contractors too desperate for business and clients too desperate for low initial estimate. Contractors lost,they sometimes tried to save their rear ends by talking a subcontractor to do work for too little. And clients called back with expensive problems. Of course they can expense the latter but may have to capitalize original work.

Henry may disagree,but when bigger buildings switch from steam to all hot water,there'll be expenses down the road unless it's a really first class (and expensive) job.