Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

HELP please on my Lochinvar WHN085

Options
1235»

Comments

• maybemark
    maybemark Member Posts: 1,131
    Options
    Gordy
    Yes, I know Harvey did, and I think you agreed?
  • maybemark
    Options
    I have an extra 15/58, what if i would put that in besides the existing? Do you think that would work?
  • Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
    Options

maybemark said:

I have an extra 15/58, what if i would put that in besides the existing? Do you think that would work?

I'd be curious about two 15/58's in series as to what it will do for you. Never did it myself so cannot comment.
    Cavitation, without a doubt. The system doesn't have enough friction loss to support that.

• maybemark
    Options
    what about the existing which is on the supply, put the other one on the return
  • Tom_133
    Tom_133 Member Posts: 884
    Options
    Could we get a couple more pics of the boiler piping. Like one pic from far enough away to look at how it all runs.
    Tom
    Montpelier Vt
  • Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
    Options

What if he slowed both of them to speed II? The 15-58 has some options if he goes overboard with the twins. He should get the flow rate that he needs.

Putting circs in series effectively doubles the head and only increases the gpm to the intersection of the increased head and the system curve. It by no means even comes close to doubling the flow. On Mark's system, with a fairly low system resistance curve, relative to the performance of the 15-58, it will hardly make a significant difference in the flow rate. It will only be noisy from cavitation, and likely reduce the life of the pump.

Putting circs in parallel is a different story, but his system is not set up for that. Would require significant piping changes.

I can't, for the life of me, understand why he wouldn't just put in the NRF-33 and be done with it.
  • maybemark
    Options
    it's hard to get a far away picture, no room behind, but I will try
  • maybemark
    Options
    Harvey
    I have the pump, I thought I would put it out there, plus it would save me 180 bucks.
    I'm just asking
  • maybemark
    Options

what would need to be done to put them in parallel?

Tom this is the best i can do
  • maybemark
    Options
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Options
    Use Harvey's proposed method of piping it, and create 2 circulated zones with both circs.
  • maybemark
    Options
    Paul
    that could be done pretty easily with a little bit of copper.
    it would be a little crazy how the zones would be.
    My house is seperated in half the long ways with 2 sets of 2" pipe mains running the length of the house. The only easy way to do what your saying is the north half of the house would be zone one, and the south half would be zone 2.

At one point i was thinking of just having the living room on it's own zone, that would be very easy to do, and the rest of the house on it's own seperate zone. but, would i be needing a larger pump for that?

I still wonder if I have an air problem
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Options
    Do as Harvey suggested with the Nrf-33 be done with it.

I don't have the data in front of me for flange to flange dimensions
  • maybemark
    Options
    Gordy
    thank you, I wanted to hear how you felt about it
  • Gordy
    edited April 2015
    Options
    You could also do as Paul suggested. But I have no idea how the piping is split other than one side of the house, and the other. What is on each side, and piping configuration etc. I think at this point keeping things simple is best........I think.
  • maybemark
    Options
    Gordy
    You lost me. Instead of one mainin my basement, i have 2 sets
    north side of the house has a supply and return, south side has 2 pipes supply and return
    what is your idea of keeping it simple and having it work?
    the mains on each side one the nothside, it starts as 2" for 2/3 of the length then goes down to 1 1/4
    the south side starts with 3" which the hot living room branches are taken off of, then it reduces to 2" for 2/3 of the length reducing to 1 1/4.
    the branch to the living toom is 1 1/4" and all the others are 1" brances to the radiators, except the 4 that Fred put in, which is 3/4" to the radiators

Is this what yur asking me?
    or am I not on the same page?
  • maybemark
    Options
    these photos are of the 3" that has the 1 1/4" piping to the livingroom, then reduces down to 2" when it makes a right turn on the south side of the house
  • maybemark
    Options
    these pipes are of the north side, then a photo of both north and south in the rear of the house

• maybemark
    Options
    this is where north and south come together
  • maybemark
    Options
    Gordy, does this help you understand?
    does it give you any ideas?
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    Options
    Did this boiler get sized to the load of the home ? Did the S&R get reversed somehow ?
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
  • Gordy
    Options
    Rich the latter is a good reality check. Yes the boiler was sized to the OP's heat loss done by OP.
  • Gordy
    Options
    Also,an edr survey.
  • maybemark
    Options
    no, the supply and return did not get reversed

but the pump is on the supply, not the return as the manual shows
  • maybemark
    Options
    someone suggested, since i have the extra pump, use one pump on the supply on the northside of house, and use the other pump on the supply of the south side of my house.
    keep them on the one zone
    I would like to hear what you think?
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    Options
    Harvey tee'd it up for you and Gordy reaffirmed it. All you have to do is hit it.
    Steve Minnich
  • maybemark
    Options
    Stephen
    thanks for your comment
  • maybemark
    Options
    I turned off the living room, now my back half of the house is warming up.
    Something I don't understand on one of the menu
    it says my boiler pump output is 35%, and it's on high.
    can you answer that one?
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    I believe the percentage to which you refer relates to the voltage sent to the BLR PUMP OUT terminals.
  • maybemark
    Options
    thanks Kurt