Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

HELP please on my Lochinvar WHN085

Options

Comments

• maybemark
    maybemark Member Posts: 1,131
    Options
    I am not good at taking pictures, but I'll do my best
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Options
    Your old circ was a 007 correct? New circ is a 15-58 correct?
  • maybemark
    Options
  • maybemark
    Options
    yes, you are right Gordy
  • Gordy
    Options
    How about piping to the system
  • maybemark
    Options
  • maybemark
    Options
  • maybemark
    Options
    before was 1 1/4" from the old gravity
    I used 1"
  • maybemark
    Options
    the old boiler was over 200,000 btu
  • maybemark
    Options
    at least I have alot of time to figure out all these issues
    why is the living room so hot now
    why there is no heat in the back of the house
    why the 2nd floor seems very comfortable
    but the 1st floor, especially the rear of the house is cooler
    and why can't the boiler get up to it's set point
    127 degrees was the hottest it got from being on1/2 day
  • maybemark
    Options
    I don't remember who came up with the idea of control valves for the living room, but them in the basement , you are not able to reach the valves where the radiator is now
  • maybemark
    Options
    I thought of putting the living room as a seperate zone, I have that extra pump
  • Gordy
    edited April 2015
    Options
    What speed is the circ on? Is there any noticeable signs of air pipes gurgling.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    Take a look a your Maximum SH Set Point parameter.
  • maybemark
    Options
    no gugling
    the pump was on high, I brought it down to mrd, and the h set point is at 180
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    edited April 2015
    Options
    The way gravity system were designed makes it very easy to purge them. The very design that causes a convective flow will bring the air to the radiators. It may be a flow issue. Now....You say you have hot radiators(some), 120* radiators are not hot. Did you have a pro do the first fire?
  • Gordy
    Options
    I agree with Paul purging should be easy. Flow takes me back to your original 007 things worked fine. The 15-58 has a different curve than the 007. Which leads me to believe flow issue. The fact that rooms the were cold, and are now hot.
  • Paul48
    Options
    The lack of heat at the unit may be another issue altogether. It sounds like it's starved for gas. That needs a pros attention. It's not something you want to practice on.
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,479
    Options
    Try clocking the meter when the unit first starts up, make sure all the other gas appliances are off when you do this.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • wogpa67
    wogpa67 Member Posts: 238
    Options
    I see a 1/2" gas line run to the boiler. How far from the main? And what size is the main?
  • maybemark
    Options
    there is about 13 feet of 1/2", the rest is 1"
  • Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
    Options
    If I am seeing things correctly, you have the supply and the return tied into the bull of a tee where it splits off to the 2 large steel mains. That's a big flow restriction. It should be manifolded as shown in the little concept drawing I attached. I also highly doubt the 15-58 pump is capable of producing the flow required by your system unless you want to make a career out of balancing radiators with the valves.

Gordy
  • maybemark
    Options
    I just took copper in place of the iron pipe that was there before
    for some reason I am not able to open your drawing, harvey
  • Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
    Options
    As far as the water not reaching the high temps you are expecting, that doesn't matter as long as it adequately heats the house.

When a boiler is sized to the heat load of a house, and on a high mass over radiated gravity system, the radiation is able to shed BTU's faster then the boiler can produce them. Therefore, the system will reach an equilibrium point between the water temp, the room temp and the boiler input. At this point, the boiler cannot possibly make the water any hotter until the room temp rises.

I did a gravity system this winter, properly sized conventional boiler (with protection valve) and it never reaches the high limit and shuts off. The thermostat turns the boiler on and it does not turn back off till the thermostat is satisfied. The water temp is what it is.
  • Gordy
    Options
    You dropped a pipe size, and you have quite an assortment of fittings to make the connection which is into a t. Lots of developed pipe length in that short run. Which equals more head.
  • Gordy
    Options
    When doing piping think like water, or even yourself walking through a hallway to get from point a to b. Would it take more effort to zigzag through a narrow shoulder scraping hallway or less effort to walk a straight hallway with elbow room to go same straight line distance.
  • maybemark
    Options
    Gordy, I did drop a pipe size, and many said this is fine, after i bought all the fittings, you come and say you would have done it in 1 1/4".
    I went ahead and put the circs, the dementions of what you said
  • maybemark
    Options
    Gordy, so your telling me now, to tear all this out and use 1 1/43" copper, and don't make short pieces of copper to go from A-B. Is this what your saying?
  • maybemark
    Options
    and as far as the temp on the boiler, is was at 100% for almost half the day to get to 127 degrees. it doesn't seem right to me
  • maybemark
    Options
    the main piping for the heat and the water is pretty straight, the cold water and hot water is what makes alot of turns to fit it in
  • Paul48
    Options
    Harvey...If you had done the setup and install of this boiler, we wouldn't be having this discussion. What would be "plug and play" to you, and the host of possible complications here are vastly different.
  • maybemark
    Options
    so, gordy, what should I do?
    while Carl and Kurt says 1" is fine,
    there is some funky piping to that 3" main
    I have to sets of mains that run thru my house,
    what would you do, not use a tee, to get them together?
    actually, the old boiler, was not much different in piping, but over 3 times the size in BTU's
  • maybemark
    Options
    Paul, your a real help
    I thought this wall is about helping others, not saying get a pro
  • Paul48
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Mark....What's the supply pressure of the gas firing at 100%? Is there a dropoff from static to 100%?
  • maybemark
    Options
    Paul, if I would understand what you mean, i would answer your question.
    No, i'm not a pro
    One thing I have to say, many people on this site have been a big help, your not one of them. if i don't understand something, they want to help, not throw it back in my face
  • Paul48
    Options
    I'm sorry you feel that way Mark. I would gladly help you in any way I could. I am of the opinion that you have to be very careful when you get to the gas. Things done improperly with it can kill someone. I wasn't throwing it in your face.....You may have a problem with the boiler not firing correctly, and it may be insufficent gas. Testing the gas pressure is outlined in a couple different places in the manual. Good Luck and Best Wishes
  • maybemark
    Options
    Paul
    Harvey...If you had done the setup and install of this boiler, we wouldn't be having this discussion. What would be "plug and play" to you, and the host of possible complications here are vastly different.
    this isn't throwing it in my face?
  • maybemark
    Options
    I can't see that I would have insufficent gas going to it. U just looked downstairs at the gas pipe. Before i said I have about 13 feet of 1/2" pipe. I made a mistake on saying that, it's less than 7' of 1/2 coming from 1" pipe.
    I should have plenty of gas
  • Paul48
    Options
    I felt that Harvey might have been over simplifying things, a bit. There are quite a few things that Harvey, as a pro, would be sure of before he put any boiler into a house. For me to state that Harvey's approach and yours is probably very different, is just common sense. If that's throwing it in your face, then, yes, I guess I did.
    Canucker
  • maybemark
    Options
    I think harvey wants to help me. i don't think you do