Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Bosch Greenstar 151 Condensing Boiler not maintaining set temperature

Options

Comments

• GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,693
    Options
    Those pvc pipes are not open at the end? Are those screen like devices at the ends of the pipes?
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Options
    I agree GW looks pretty restrictive.
  • ant930
    ant930 Member Posts: 111
    Options
    the area is shaded by bushes Gordy and the PVC pipes have screen like devices at the end... guess so nothing can get in
  • ant930
    Options
    Would you recommend that I get on their backs about moving the sensor or is it ok since its shaded.... by the way... in the corner is my central AC unit
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Options
    I can only respond like a teenager might.......OMG! Every solder joint has been overheated.
  • ant930
    Options
    what does that mean Paul?
  • Paul48
    Options
    I'm sorry ant930.......The install is not very professional looking.
  • ant930
    Options
    Remedy? I mean... I guess at this point.... I will be paying more money out of pocket (that I don't have) rather can continuing to call them.... what would you do?... I really like the system overall ... and how do I know that whoever I call and pay more money to will do the right thing?
  • Paul48
    Options
    You get references...You look at other jobs they've done. Look at GW's picture......Neat, well thought out....reflecting pride.
  • Paul48
    Options
    Where a u located?
  • Gordy
    Options
    Most like to leave the job looking better than we found it. No worries so long as there are no leaks.

The sensor location and the Ac unit probably is not having a profound effect on your current issue.

What you want the sensor to do is give a true representation of what the actual outdoor temperature is so the outdoor reset is functioning with proper information from the sensor. One thing comes to mind is if the ohms were checked on the sensor. Probably not.

• ant930
    Options
    I'm in Suffolk County... Long Island...South Shore...
  • Paul48
    Options
    You have some guys out there that are very good. Put a shout out on the Wall.
  • ant930
    Options
    I had called someone listed by Bosch last Monday cause it was 62 degrees downstairs... my installers were coming so he said to try and have them remedy it as he ws out of town and charges $250.00 to come...I told him I would be calling regardless and especially now since I feel like the whole system is F'd up... will make sure to have them check everything all of you advised..
  • Gordy
    Options
    I don't know what everyone else thinks, but at this point I think her issue is programing. Would turn the pumps in correct orientation. The air seperator is deffinetly not able to do the best job possible.

Is the expansion tank any where to be found?
  • ant930
    Options
    expansion tank is to right of whre the pumps are... in the corner of the boiler room...
  • ant930
    Options
    and Gordy.... by the way... everytime I called them ... they turned the pumps all diffferent ways... with one reason or another...
  • ant930
    Options
    Paul.... to put a shou out...since I am new to this site...guess there is a main page?... lol... I just jumped right into posting this issue... And I am very appreciative for everyones thoughts and suggestions... We ALL have spent way too much time trying to figure out their mess
  • Gordy
    Options
    Here is where I get POed. The original installer walks away with the ladies money feeds her a line of BS as to why it does not work. Now she pays someone else to make it work. No morals.
    Canucker
  • GW
    Options
    Yes, I'm sorry, it's not good.

I still cannot see the top of the piping, does the left pipe route towards the ceiling, then elbows right to the Spirovent, them elbows again down? If YES, it's a miracle you're heating the home at all.
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • Gordy
    Options
    ant930 said:

and Gordy.... by the way... everytime I called them ... they turned the pumps all diffferent ways... with one reason or another...

OMG
  • Canucker
    Canucker Member Posts: 722
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Gordy said:

Here is where I get POed. The original installer walks away with the ladies money feeds her a line of BS as to why it does not work. Now she pays someone else to make it work. No morals.

It's more common than you think. I ran into the same stonewalling with my issues, that's why I ended up here to learn how it's supposed to work, and look. Part of me is PO'd that I couldn't get some one to just do it right but on the bright side, I have learned a tremendous amount about these systems from yourself and others like you, Gordy.

You can have it good, fast or cheap. Pick two
    Gordy
  • Gordy
    Options
    Oh I know it does @Canucker, and I appreciate your comment. On this one it's the ladie card. @ant930 by no means am I saying your falling for it. You coming here for help is a sign of that! Send your original installer this way so he can get educated........at least on the basics.
    Canucker
  • wogpa67
    wogpa67 Member Posts: 238
    Options
    I'm with GW. That spirovent is doing nothing . The strut looks new and should have cushion clamps.
  • ant930
    Options
    lol... they already know I have done my homework ...and continue to do so...I am very outspoken and not afraid to speak up...sometimes maybe too much as I have been told... think I learned that from working at my job in Probation Dept. After the install.. had to threaten them with going to small claims court as they didn't give my proper invoice so I could get my $1,000.00 rebate and time was running out... made me have to be a nag which I hate..
    Gordy
  • Gordy
    Options
    I would still take them to SCC. For the difference a competent installer will be to get you up to snuff. Anyone with quality first could not walk away from that piping, and just fix what ever its going to take to get things right.

Your house heated sufficiently before. So there is enough base board, and the piping must have been fine to the zones. Now it does not work as before. That leaves near boiler piping, and boiler configuration
  • ant930
    Options
    GW... goint to try and send another picture of the spirovent.. brb
  • GW
    Options
    it's not that the Spirovent is doing nothing....look at the whole loop- the water has No Reason to travel in the intended direction. Essentially, the system would move heat more properly if the spriro was removed and those two vertical pipe lines were capped on top. I can't see everything but is looks like a disaster.
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • Gordy
    Options
    Your right may as well be just an air vent.
  • ant930
    Options
  • GW
    Options
    Not to mentionwasted fuel

I didn't know this was a combination boiler when. I commented on 151,000 being too large.

Anyway, someone that has a clue needs to set up camp for 1/2 day or so, maybe a full day if you want things pretty.
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • Gordy
    Options
    Okay now my eyes really hurt. Plumb, level?
  • ant930
    Options
    GW... is it not large enough?
  • GW
    Options
    Yes what a bazaar way to pipe a heating system.

There seems to be a shut off valve, sort of behind the black circ. Look carefully at the shaft of the valve, you will notice flat edges. Are the flats of the shaft horizontal or vertical, or somewhere in between?
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • GW
    Options
    no, 151 is good, it's doing heating And hot water. I didn't know it was a combination when you mentioned 151000. It's not a boiler issue, it's a piping, installer issue.
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • ant930
    Options
    did not see a valve behind the black circulator... and I got on a ladder to check
  • ant930
    Options
    I could stay here all day but have appt to get my taxes done... maybe if I get a refund I could get this system fixed!!!... lol... wish me luck!!! I will need it! Used all of last years and savings to get this unit last May...
  • ant930
    Options
    will be back in a bit... send more comments if you think of anything...
  • wogpa67
    wogpa67 Member Posts: 238
    Options
    They are also pumping towards the secondary loop.
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    edited February 2015
    Options
    The way the secondary loop is piped will allow water to flow in either direction when a zone circ starts pumping. In other words, it may not be extracting heat from the closely spaced tees if flow is short circuiting between the supply and return of the zone loop.

That thing needs to be piped correctly!

What terrible lack of workmanship!
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    Gordy