Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Bosch Greenstar 151 Condensing Boiler not maintaining set temperature

Options

Comments

• GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,692
    Options
    It's a balanacing act. Most pros don't spew everything they know on an initial consultation. Most pros can pick up on the most subtle conversation cues. The Pro knows you know you have problems; if you stonewall his questions and his attempt to get to know you, he may take flight and you'll dig yourself deeper into this mess. I recommend being as natural as possible, like you're talking with a banker or insurance agaent. Share at least some of your new found knowledge. Dont attempt to impress him with multiple buzz words, he may not be flattered. These are just my thoughts after many thousands of conversations with homeowners.
    Gary
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • ant930
    ant930 Member Posts: 111
    Options
    Think I am addicted NOW!!!... lol... Lie being armed with knowledge... and boy have I learned a lot from these online classes... Thank you
  • ant930
    Options
    that was "like" being armed with knowledge...
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Options
    Gary,

I meant as to initial observation, and reaction to what they see. Obviously they are there because there is issues. Anyone worth a grain of salt should be able to look at that boiler room, and spot the obvious issues, then it's time to interact.
  • GW
    Options
    Yes Gordy, I agree with you. I'm just trying to make sure she doesn't just stand there like a statue. I believe we are speaking as one on this.
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
    Gordy
  • ant930
    Options
    Do I advise my installers of their findings afterwards..and see if they agree.... they probably will not ... thats admitting they screwed up...
  • Gordy
    Options
    Just fill in the gaps if any are left.

You have to remember also that any one here might not do things exactly the same way. In the end the concepts are all there, and the system functions as intended.
  • ant930
    Options
    Wish you both were closer... or I had the means to get you here!... since last night...heat doing very well but thats cause it warmed up... every time I think of the BS they tried...of which if I actually bought their nonsense would not have reached out... In addition to them... back in December when we had first freeze... a Bosch tech in New Hampshire stated he had the same issues and that I should just deal with it!
  • Gordy
    Options
    They probably won't go into details about pump orientation, air seperator piping requirements, p/s piping concepts, supply sensor location, etc. They will have no idea that you know some of this, and won't want to bore you with hydronics. Then you can ask the proposed installer about the details. Knowing someone was already screwed up the first attempt they should be perceptive to your concerns. That's always the baggage the clean up guy has to drag.
  • GW
    Options
    Yes, and if I'm batting clean up I normally ask many more questions than if I'm batting lead off. I simply must know what kind of personality I am about to deal with. If I smell trouble (if I sense their problems will become my problems) I beat feet. I am very hawkish on this, I completely understand others may differ from my points of view.

Gary
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • ant930
    Options
    Well... I will let you all know how I make out this week when I begin making phone calls...do you think I will have to pay for estimates?
  • ant930
    Options
    Well... I will let you all know how I make out this week when I begin making phone calls...do you think I will have to pay for estimates?
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    You should not have to pay for an estimate, but a detailed design will rarely be given away. Too tempting for the clueless handyguy to underbid.

We don't discuss pricing here, but we regularly dissect proposed remedies and qualifications. See if they have any photos of recent jobs they are willing to share.
  • ant930
    Options
    I think Photos would not really mean anything to a lay person such as myself... ... I mean.. I had no idea that what i have is so screwed up..lolI think I would prefer to go with an authorized installer who works for himself rather than a large company wherein the compnany may be authorized but person they send may not full be knowledgeable..opinions?
  • Gordy
    Options
    How about a dressed rehersal?

Phone call:

On site client issue discussion:

Walk through:

Problems, and remedy discussion as to the issues:

I think you would understand photos of prior jobs more than you know. Pride says a lot. I think you see the difference between what you have, and what has been posted on this thread.
  • ant930
    Options
    Well.. You have a lot of faith in me Gordy... Thank you... All I know .. I have learned from all of you! I made on call to someone I spoke to last Monday...left message and just posted on "the Wall"
  • GW
    Options
    It's possible, but they better know what they're doing.We quote a fee all the time for this. My office gal knows the drill. That's where being mindful of what you say and don't say with your phone calls is important. Say too little then you'll get the regular tech ( you'll get nowhere). Say too much the contractor may sense you want them to take on all of your problems. It's best if you find out who has Greenstar experience before you call every hvac,plumber out there.

Here is my best advice: find out who sells Bosch in your area. Go to that place, or call, and simply ask who they most recommend for an installation (Technically this is true, you need an installation, again). I'd recommend going there so you can bypass the gatekeepers. You will Always get more info in person than you will on the phone. DO Not share your story with the local vendor. If you want to ratchet up your chances of success, tell the vendor you've had a bad experience in the past, and you would appreciate their best recommendations, the ones that do the best work.

Remeber, guy #2 is at a disadvantage....he didn't get the privilege of designing the system his way or gleaning the profits of a complete boiler installation. Don't expect guy #2 to walk on water. Once you find the right guy, treat him well and they will always be there for you.

Best of luck to you.

Gary
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • ant930
    Options
    Thanks Gary...lot of helpful insight.. experience and suggestions although many of the authorized Bosch installers don't have a "place to go" in person .. they purchase the system from the supply house and then install... all came to my home to discuss the conversion.. I found that out when I first began getting estimates
  • GW
    Options
    Sorry, I meant go to the wholesaler, not the installer
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • ant930
    Options
    Just wondering... would it be adviseable to let them know that i have been in touch with Bosch techs and that they advised me to get second opinion of settings and install?
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Options
    If you get Robert O'brien in there.....you're golden.
    RobG
  • ant930
    Options
    Thanks for the support and letting me know that!! Gave him my phone number... do you know where he is out of?.. Im in Isliip
  • ant930
    Options
    just wanted to repost what I asked earlier and in asking if I should "advise them"... meant the people that installed system?
  • Paul48
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Not sure where..........Click on his picture and contact him directly. And edit your phone # off the posting.
  • ant930
    Options
    I did before... left my cell phone number... I believe I saw his name on Bosch website as authorized with their product.. your vote of confidence in his work gives me hope!...lol
  • ant930
    Options
    Hey Paulll. Think he is out of Holbrook... and I believe I have used him before though for a plumbing issue..
  • Paul48
    Options
    Cool........Take your phone # off that posting on the main wall. Never know who sees it, when you post like that. Private messages are different.
  • Gordy
    Options
    Yeah Robert is the one. Cant wait to see the after.
  • ant930
    Options
    Thanks Paul.... being new on here and learning how to navigate around didn;t know my number was "out there"... just sent him private message.... I hope... will double check to make sure its not out there.. Is he the person I though from Holbrook?
  • Paul48
    Options
    I don't know where he's out of, but if you messaged him through here, he'll contact you. Keep in mind, it's busy season, and you're not without heat (entirely).
  • ant930
    Options
    lol... I know......Wow.. Lucky Me.... My head is spinning ... and have my work cut out for me now!..but least I have a starting point
  • ant930
    Options
    Lucky me today... Doubt I will have the proper heat tomorrow though..
  • GW
    Options
    ant930 said:

just wanted to repost what I asked earlier and in asking if I should "advise them"... meant the people that installed system?

I'd mention it if you think it fits into the conversation. It's not totally necessary. You simply have an installation that isn't doing its job, and you're hoping to get someone with more experience this time around.
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • ant930
    Options
    Thanks Gary... just saw this post ...had to step away for a bit today... Have someone fom this site coming this week... can't wait!!... though I "crossed" this off my list of things to do back in May 2014 when it was installed... Ugh...always something! Thanks again!
  • GW
    Options
    Good luck, we all have to navigate this game of life. I won't bore you with details, but I came very close to losing thousands due to an errant commercial alarm system technician (My place of business). I remained patient, and bumped into an opportunity to have another pro look at my system. You see, alarm systems are serviced by "one" company. The new contact rather quickly found the problem my current alarm guy didn't see. No more $3800 system overhaul needed. The good in me believes it was an innocent mistake.

You'll be in good shape soon. I hope you can carefully and respectfully plot your course with the original installer. Most contractors stand behind their shortcomings.

Gary
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
    SWEI
  • ant930
    Options
    ALWAYS respectfully... jbehaving like an idiot serves no purpose... Glad your issue with the alarm system worked out... I know this will for me too and thank you for all your help... Have a good evening and will post pics when its all fixed up!
  • GW
    Options
    Better look good and I trust it will.
    :smile:
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • ant930
    Options
    I hope to impress!!! Nitey
  • Gordy
    Options
    I think your ready to cut pipe and solder.
  • ant930
    Options
    lolo...possibly...thanks to all I learned from you guys!!! always into learning somethingnew!