Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Opinion -- reliability of Goodman furnaces?

riguy
riguy Member Posts: 19
I am pondering replacing my 11 year old furnace due to the cost of repairing a Carlin EZ-gas gun and heating people all telling me not worth it since oil-gas conversions never work well anyway (see other thread if you want to chime in on that).

Plumbing/heating firm uses Goodman furnaces as their standard brand. This contractor has a stellar reputation around here, both from online review sites and thru some co-workers; from some other experience with them, they seem to do things right. A quick Google shows some concerns about Goodman though. Specifically Consumer Reports singled out Goodman as less reliable than others -- but that was 2000-2005 models. Various claims exist online that Goodman much improved and is a perfectly decent brand now; others say they were and still are junk.

Anyone have any experience / opinion?

Normally I do a LOT of research about a major purchase like this, but since this is due to a no-heat situation (in New England), combined with leaving for a vacation in a couple of days, we need to make a call quickly.

Comments

• Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    Goodman was always for the "budget minded" client, or contractor ;). There's better.

I would consider American Standard/Trane a top pick.
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 5,107
    I personally don’t care whose name is on the outside of the equipment, I care who’s installing it!
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    They all last "Indefinitely". They go toes up anytime after the original installation. Sometimes, the day after the warranty expires, sometimes they outlast the owners. That's the "Indefinitely" part. They ALL do this. Some better and faster than others.
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,440
    The newer Goodmans with the tubular heat exchanger are much better than the old ones. Their Amana line has a stainless heat exchanger that's probably about the best you can get.

I really comes down to the installer though.

A couple of things that MUST be set properly are the manifold gas pressure and the air flow. If not, the HX will fail prematurely. Don't let them tell you that these are set at the factory. The factory has no idea of your actual job site conditions. Also, make sure the cycle rate is set right on the t'stat - 3-5 per hour. Make sure the venting conforms to the install manual.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • SlamDunk
    SlamDunk Member Posts: 1,636
    I had a Jantrol heating/air conditioning system last twenty three years and was still funtional when I replaced it with a Carrier. Replaced it for efficiency gains as well as the earth friendlier refrigerant now used. When I asked the five contractors who quoted replacements about Goodmans' they unanimously said Goodmans keep them in business ( from repairs).

My neighbor has had a couple Amana (heat pumps, I think) installed and there is a service truck there every time the season changes.

The Carrier has been less expensive to run, just as comfortable and quiet. However, on really cold days, I heat on steam.

• Spence
    Spence Member Posts: 316
    pecmsg said it best; it's not the equipment, it's who is in your house.
  • John Mills_5
    John Mills_5 Member Posts: 952
    Goodman equipment in the past was bottom of the line and they deserved a lot of the bad press. But as the rest of the industry cheapened to compete, now all of it is troublesome. Only area now where I have issues with Goodman on is the tendency of their suppliers (and in many markets that's Goodman itself) to sell to anyone. Here, one of our distributors will sell to anyone with a refrigerant card meaning a lot of unqualified people are out putting the stuff in. If you can find a great dealer to size it right and install it well, you are in good shape. Or if bottom dollar isn't your goal, step up to an Amana (model # starts with A) furnace and get a stainless steel heat exchanger.
    Bob Bona_4
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Goodman bought Janitrol (and used the name for their value line through 1992.)

Daikin bought Goodman in 2012.
  • Dave0176
    Dave0176 Member Posts: 1,177
    I prefer to use York, Luxaire, or Coleman , there all the same, have had good luck with Yorks line including A/Cs
    DL Mechanical LLC Heating, Cooling and Plumbing 732-266-5386
    NJ Master HVACR Lic# 4630
    Specializing in Steam Heating, Serving the residents of New Jersey
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/dl-mechanical-llc

https://m.facebook.com/DL-Mechanical-LLC-315309995326627/?ref=content_filter

I cannot force people to spend money, I can only suggest how to spend it wisely.......