Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam Boiler Recommendation

WFNJ
WFNJ Member Posts: 4
edited October 19 in Strictly Steam

I am in the process of replacing my steam boiler. The contractor initially suggested a Weil McClain. He also said I can save about $$$ by going with a Union Steam, ThermaFlo or Williamson boiler which is nearly identical except for the outer casing and all made by Weil McClain but privately branded. Any downside to this option? I’ve read various forums and see a few messages, bot nothing definitive. I am in New Jersey and it’s a pricey investment for installation with piping and I don’t want to make the wrong decision. Thank you

Comments

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 8,771

Interesting Topic

Can't wait to hear more

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• WFNJ

I accidentally posted before I could type my message. It’s now there

EdTheHeaterMan
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    edited October 19

The cast iron is made at the same foundry, so there will be no difference in the performance. There may be higher standards with WM and those castings that don't make the mark may be acceptable for Williamson and the other names you mentioned, but I don't see that as an issue. They all have the same warranty.

What is more important is the installing contractor. You want to get real specific here in the contract. you need to get the wording "Installed per the manufacturers installation manual" in the contract. That is because the manufacturer has very specific piping diagrams that some contractors may ignore. the other important thing si that all the piping above the water line will be iron pipe size fittings and piping. No copper tubing above the water line.

If the contractor can't put that in the contract, that would be a deal breaker for me. Watch this video to understand why you don't want copper and why you want to have the boiler manufacturer's piping specifications followed exactly.

There are some really good steam heads in NEW JERSEY. But there are a lot more knuckleheads that will mess it up. try the Find a contractor link above to see who is near you.

https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

Mad Dog_2SlamDunk
  • delcrossv
    delcrossv Member Posts: 966

Aren't @EzzyT and @clammy in Jersey?

Two top installers.

Trying to squeeze the best out of a Weil-McLain JB-5 running a 1912 1 pipe system.
    EdTheHeaterMan
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 6,129

Williamson for sure is another label of WM, possibly the others too, I don't know them. If I was going to get a WM, I would get a Williamson definitely to save some $$ but I bought a Peerless and I love it

NJ Steam Homeowner.
    Free NJ and remote steam advice: https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/new-jersey-steam-help/
    See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el

• Steve_210
    Steve_210 Member Posts: 647

I personally always go with push nipples rather than gaskets, but maybe that’s me

EdTheHeaterMandelcrossv
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,411

Burnham Steamax.....Mad Dog

EdTheHeaterMan
  • jerryb46
    jerryb46 Member Posts: 60

Peerless cast iron boilers both oil or gas !!! the best

• WFNJ

Thank you for the detailed reply . I will compare this info to the quote. Do you think the push nipples matter between the Peerless or Weil McClain or is this person preference? Some people seem to like the metal option.

My contractor does seem knowledgeable and has measured all the radiators for I assume proper sizing.

EdTheHeaterMan
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 6,129

Never assume but it’s great they’re measuring

NJ Steam Homeowner.
    Free NJ and remote steam advice: https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/new-jersey-steam-help/
    See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el

EdTheHeaterMan
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    edited October 19

Weil McLain castings using gaskets, or Peerless using Push nipples, is not really an issue.   Both boiler manufacturers have steam boilers that have been in service more than 40 years in many buildings.   The way that they get assembled can make a difference.  On large commercial jobs where you assemble it on site, if that guy gets it wrong, then you can have a leaker in less than a year.  But you will most likely be getting a factory assembled boiler block for a residential job, so no worries there.

@ethicalpaul used a peeress and he is a homeowner that installed it himself, and has several informative videos about it.  And his profile photo has a real looker with his new boiler using rope, kinda' kinly . That would lead me to the Peeress.  I’m not a WM fan. I worked on many, installed a few and sold lots of them to other Cons when I did a 2 year stint, downstate at a wholesale supply company in Jersey. I would take a good look at Crown Boilers out of Philadelphia.  They have a KIT that your contractor can purchase with all the pipe nipples and fittings needed to correctly assemble the near boiler piping.  I have been very happy with their products, and the customer support is top notch.  Here is the Oil Fired model https://www.velocityboilerworks.com/documents/Kingston_KSB_Literature.pdf. And this is their Gas steamer offering. https://www.velocityboilerworks.com/documents/CVB-Bermuda-BSI-Lit-Sht-nc-PF-Mar-23.pdf . Bottom line is to go with what your contractor is familiar with.  If they have steam experience, then they have a preferred brand, and have a rapport with that company and get faster service from them when there is a problem.

Edward Young Retired

ethicalpaul
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 16,127

The Weil McLain has been around a long time and is a proven design. Williamson is the same boiler and is made by Weil Mclain (different color jacket).

Peerless is good

I don't know about Union Steam or Thermoflow but I think Thermoflow is part of Williamson.

I agree if you in NJ talk with @clammy or @EzzyT

• WFNJ

Thank you for the additional information. I've followed-up with the contractor to discuss. The proposal did state they are going to use iron fittings.

EdTheHeaterMan
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 5,131

x-3 with @clammy or @EzzyT

• EzzyT
    EzzyT Member Posts: 1,326

Union Steam and Thermoflo are exactly the same as Weil McLain and Williamson

E-Travis Mechanical LLC
    Etravismechanical@gmail.com
    201-887-8856
    delcrossvSTEAM DOCTOR
  • delcrossv
    delcrossv Member Posts: 966

One of our buildings has a ThermoFlo. Almost 10 years with no issues.

Trying to squeeze the best out of a Weil-McLain JB-5 running a 1912 1 pipe system.
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 2,117

I have seen the WM boilers, with the gaskets, last 30 to 40 years plus. As much as I don't necessarily like the concept, the gaskets will typically outlast the boilers. Williamson and WM exactly the same thing. They just try to make them look a little different. For example, on the Williamson, you are not allowed to use the right side return tapping. And there is no coil option with the Williamson. But the boilers are exactly the same. I have actually gotten Williamson's, where part of the jacket still had the WM colors. I have installed more Williamson than I can remember with no trouble

ethicalpaulEdTheHeaterMan
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 16,127

Last Williamson I did had boiler oil fired with no tankless coil opening but also had the same boiler with the coil installed

• CKNJ
    CKNJ Member Posts: 65

X4 with @EzzyT and @clammy

See my post "New Boiler Installation Follow up" for actual photos of a Peerless installation. I went with the Peerless and couldn't be happier. Like others have said, it is not so much the boiler, its the installer that makes the difference.