Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Tricks of the trade?

RayWohlfarth
RayWohlfarth Member Posts: 1,623

Greetings all

I had an idea on vacation and would like to put together a list or booklet on tricks of the trade you use in your job that we can pass on to the new techs. An example would be something like this. When tightening a threaded flange, I insert two bolts and nuts in the flange at the holes opposite each other and use a pipe wrench or pipe between the bolts to tighten it rather than trying to fit a pipe wrench over the flange. I know this is a common method but I saw a pool repair person trying to tighten the flange and his pipe wrench was too small. he thanked me for this trick Let me know your tricks or tips

Thanks

Ray

Ray Wohlfarth
Boiler Lessons
Mad Dog_2Erin Holohan HaskellHeatingHelp.comCLambIntplm.GroundUp4Johnpipe

Comments

• Robertw
    Robertw Member Posts: 12

When changing an angle steam radiator valve. I take a chisel to the union nut only and split it. Remove it and then pipe wrench out the spud. Much more reliable than those dumb spud wrenches.

Mad Dog_2delcrossv
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,229
    edited August 27

Changing the spring coupling on a B&G type 3 piece pump, I found it useful to put two 3/8" rods or bolts about 3" long, thru top bolt holes.

This lets the motor hang and you can use both hands to set the Allen screws.

EdTheHeaterManAlan (California Radiant) Forbesjringel
  • JUGHNE

Simple common sense item: When removing any water tank, before shutting off the pressure, make sure the drain valve works. You can back flush it with the washing machine supply to knock the crud out of the way.

Let it drain under pressure a bit before shutting the supply off. Then when the tank is still full and heavy you can loosen the water piping…..avoids dancing with an empty tank.

No floor drain, I cap or shut off supply and then use air in the hot side inlet to push the water out the hose and up the stairs.

EBEBRATT-EdMad Dog_2
  • RayWohlfarth

Wow I learned a couple new ideas You can teach an old dog new tricks thanks

Ray Wohlfarth
    Boiler Lessons
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 16,128

We used to make flange wrenches by welding a couple of bolts to a piece of pipe with the correct bolt spacing. If you stagger the bolts out for different size flanges or weld some bolts on the other end of the same pipe you can do other size flanges.

I like @JUGHNE trick of pushing the water out with air (I used a tank of nitrogen once in a pinch) works like a charm when you don't have a pump or a floor drain.

I have also used @Robertw trick but i usually cut the union nut off with an angle grinder. Then shove something into the spud like a pipe nipple or a cold chisel handle to keep the spud from collapsing.

I have had cases where I had to tie onto some live wires and could not shut the circuit off due to equipment that could not be shut down. The wires ran through a JB and the wires were un spliced. Luckly they were long enough I stripped the wires twice the length you needed to put them in a wire nut and bent them over 180 degrees. Added the wire I was adding and twisted them together and put on a wire nut.

When setting residential boiler on cement blocks the blocks get pushed out of alignment. I silicone the blocks to the floor and give the silicone a little time to set up. 4" square metal electrical box covers make good shims for boilers and water heaters.

When you want to move something across asphalt or a cement floor that isn't level it may want to go sideways on you if on a dolly with wheels. Use "soapers"sit the equipment on a scrap of plywood and cover the floor with powdered Ivory soap

Mad Dog_2JUGHNEdelcrossv
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 8,796

When working on residential oil heat, every once in a while there is a small spill and after cleaning up the mess there is a lingering odor of unburnt fuel oil. Sometimes the homeowner will call even after several days of treating the problem with odor-gone spray and odor-gone powder.

Place Vinegar in a spray bottle and spray the source of the odor. Several times a day if necessary. The vinegar will neutralize the oil odor.

When you give this solution to the home owner, they can complete the application several times a day and eventually solve the issue without more time consuming service visits. That puts the homeowner in control and empowers them the solve the problem.

And to put the homeowner in a better frame of mind I finish off the service call with this line. "Vinegar will cut the oil odor and if you add a clove of garlic, your home will smell like a Cesar salad! Get it? Oil, vinegar & garlic." LOL.

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

Mad Dog_2GGross
  • DCContrarian
    DCContrarian Member Posts: 547

If you need a handle to move a tank, screw a nipple into one of the ports and put a tee on the nipple.

Any time you want to do anything requiring torque to a tank, it's easier if the tank is full.

Mad Dog_2
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,511

To remove a stubborn nipple from a tank, put a solid steel rod, that just fits, into the nipple. Then the pipe wrench won't collapse the nipple, which often causes it to tear and leave the threads in the tank's port.

Yours, Larry

Mad Dog_2LMacNevin
  • RayWohlfarth

You guys are awesome Thanks

Ray Wohlfarth
    Boiler Lessons
  • JUGHNE

My water heater change out procedures (when I used to do them):

I would walk the tank, in the box, up and down stairs as needed.

Then cut the box in halves, not touching the tank. Lift the top box off and screw 2 nipples in the hubs.

Lay the tank down and pull it out of the box, without touching the floor to avoid scratches.

Stand the tank up with the nipples and walk it into place…..usually up on 4" blocks.

The 2 box halves then sit with the closed end up and I have my work bench for tools. And might use it for duct work, electrical etc sorting. Rather than every thing on the floor.

Later they become trash boxes for Sheetmetal scraps etc.

Larry WeingartenDave CarpentierMad Dog_2
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 10,467

When they connected my house to the municipal water when it became available around 1950 they bent an offset in the 3/4" copper instead of making it out of fittings.

Larry WeingartenMad Dog_2
  • JUGHNE

That was probably 3/4" soft K service line?

Mad Dog_2
  • Teemok
    Teemok Member, Email Confirmation Posts: 665
    edited August 28

When the "other guy" in the company failed to label radiant tubes before connecting to the manifold. ID pairs with small pieces tissue paper stuffed in tube ends and an air compressor. (lungs do work but it's slower and not dignified. Jokes will be told)

PC7060LRCCBJLMacNevin
  • mattmia2

I've also done this with nails and an old piece of the shingles i was tearing off to drive a nail someplace I couldn't quite reach with both hands.

Intplm.Mad Dog_2
  • mattmia2

It was in the middle of the house after the meter after it had made several turns with fittings where it joined in where I assume the old well equipment had been in a section of presumably hard copper. I assume they used an electrician's hickey. Actually maybe it was in the now abandoned steel pipe now that I think about it more. I'll have to look at it again.

delcrossv
  • JUGHNE

For rough in construction and such, the Torx or Phillip head screws, which are troublesome to drive individually, I start a bunch of them with a Hammer just so they stand up and then use the drill/driver. Crude huh?

But I don't let anyone see me do it.

PC7060LRCCBJIntplm.
  • PC7060
    PC7060 Member Posts: 1,313

Good idea! I’ve found the ceramic coated one are troublesome to start. The uncoated construction screws start much easier.

• LRCCBJ
    LRCCBJ Member Posts: 250

My trick involves the usual trepidation of removing a tankless coil with the cap screws installed for the past 40 years.

I spend 7 minutes on each screw with a propane torch to get the screw well above 250 degrees. This lengthens the screw slightly and breaks the bonds of rust in the threads. It further unloads the head of the screw from the coil plate. it's about 50-50 success rate on the first attempt. Further attempts are similar but require Kroil to seep into the threads. Of course if you have more than one day, success is almost a certainty.

I also read the success of others who grind the head of the screw completely away and deal with the remaining stud (after the coil is removed). This has the benefit of getting the Kroil where it can actually do the most good. Vice grips are the only tool available at this point and the torque available is limited as compared to the original solution above.

Any solution that avoids breaking the screw at the boiler face is a home run.

PC7060Long Beach Ed
  • GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 2,033

-When fitting up copper piping and there's not a hanger right handy, I use my tape measure as an adjustable "leg" of sorts by setting it on the floor and bringing the pipe/fitting up to level, then locking the tape in place at that height. Just did it today, as a matter of fact.

-When taking apart piping without a low point drain or unknown pressure/volume, I like to find a sacrificial point in the piping or a fitting and run a self tapping screw from the top down through both walls. That way when your bucket is full or whatever you may need to step away for, you can run the screw back down through the bottom of the pipe/fitting and plug the hole again as needed. We all know the misery of taking apart a joint or cutting off a copper tube then taking an unwarranted shower in some less-than-desirable fluid because you can't shut it off.

-When you get purple primer on some things such as concrete, you can use clear primer to remove it. Same applies to permanent marker- just add more permanent marker and you can wipe it off.

-I also use Mad Dog's method of saving that upside down joint for last, but to add to that, there IS such a thing as too much flux. Just a thin layer to wet the surfaces of both the fitting and pipe, and that's enough. If it's dripping out when heating up, you have too much and it can create voids in the solder joint.

-Yet again with the copper, you can almost always just measure to the side of the pipe rather than the end of the cup and then adding the make-in when using 90* elbows or tees. Same with short radius PVC fittings.

-Black iron take-off is 1 pipe size smaller than you're using, for 2" and under. A 1" 90* for example, the take-off is 3/4".

Mad Dog_2DCContrarian
  • delcrossv
    delcrossv Member Posts: 983
    edited August 29

An electricians hickey is useful for this. Even works without annealing.

Trying to squeeze the best out of a Weil-McLain JB-5 running a 1912 1 pipe system.
    CLambMad Dog_2Long Beach Ed
  • RayWohlfarth

What is an electricians hickey? Conduit bender?

Ray Wohlfarth
    Boiler Lessons
    Mad Dog_2Long Beach Ed
  • RayWohlfarth

Heres my tip for today. When adjusting the air to fuel ratio on a burner, I like setting up the low fire position on the burner first so the loop doesn't heat too quickly. I also like adjusting the air to fuel ratio on the coldest days so the burner runs longer. If it's a preseason check of the burner, I still check the combustion to make sure its safe but wait to do my adjustments on the colder days.

Ray Wohlfarth
    Boiler Lessons
    Mad Dog_2
  • Voyager
    Voyager Member Posts: 402

Addition a couple of forceps to your tool kit. I have both straight and curved. They are great for getting into tight places that your fingers or needle nose pliers won’t fit. And their clamping ability is useful when you need to get a small screw or wire into a tight place.

• Sully1266
    Sully1266 Member Posts: 14

Very simple trick I teach my students is when you are in a tight dark spot and you need both your hands stick your flashlight in your shirt above your shoulder, RIP Joe Mangan you taught me that in 1988 been doing it since.

Mad Dog_2Long Beach Ed
  • Grallert
    Grallert Member Posts: 721

Keep a selection of left twist drill bits. In stead of drilling in the conventional way and trying an easy out which only expands the nut or stud you're trying to remove often breaking in the process. Drill it out with a reverse twist drill and often times it will back the fastener out in the process. All other steps apply heat lube etc.

Miss Hall's School service mechanic, greenhouse manager,teacher and dog walker
    LRCCBJmattmia2Mad Dog_2
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 2,123

Headlamps on every job. Don't leave home without it.

GrallertMad Dog_2HydroNiCKPRR
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 8,796
    edited August 29

Over 40 years ago, my service manager built me this test gauge setup. Back then there were still many oil burners that used 1/4" high pressure lines. The new Carlin and Beckett burners were equipped with 3/16" high pressure lines.

When used properly, you never entered a home and pressed the reset button to get the burner started THEN had to justify charging a full price service call for less than 30 seconds of work.

By placing the test gauge on the high pressure line before resetting the primary control, you had a guarantee that there would be no flame. It also solved the "I only pressed the reset once" lie that the customers would tell you. No flame but you could see if there was fuel pressure to the nozzle, you could listed for a spark from the ignition transformer. Did the pressure jump to operating pressure (100 PSI) or did the gauge slowly get to the operating pressure indicating a different problem?

I liked the liquid filed gauge because it was durable and stayed calibrated longer in my tool pouch. In order to lessen the chance of loosing the flare cap, I would place the cap on the nozzle assembly. you could safely check the safety timing of the primary control under actual no flame condition with the cad cell eye properly connected to the control. There are many other observations that can happen with that gauge connected, like checking the actual oil pressure. Dah!

This is a trick I have used for over 40 years of servicing oil burners.

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

Mad Dog_2PRR
  • rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,460

Try getting some Odorgon powder from Johnstone supply. Greatest stuff since two ply t.p. Use the powder on the spill and the spill will be gone, and absolutely no smell. It has its own smell, but is very pleasant. On concrete, I will spread it on the spill, and then just wipe it off. It leaves a light white powder residue, which also helps some nasty floors look better.

Also, if you have a small leak like on a fuel filter, pump, or nozzle line, I will put some powder in my hand and blow on it to "dust" the area I think is leaking. You can find the leak very easy this way, as you can watch the oil soaking in to the powder.

I will also put some on my pant leg after the nozzle line leaks on me. Nothing worse than dragging that smell around.

Rick

CLambEdTheHeaterManMad Dog_2
  • mattmia2

It is like the very end of a conduit bender. Someone with skill can make more complex bends with it.

• HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,571

My Dad said that he never learned the "tricks of the trade". He learned the trade! But, I know what you mean. Intelligent solutions that solve a problem.

• RayWohlfarth

Thanks @mattmia2 I appreciate it

Ray Wohlfarth
    Boiler Lessons
    mattmia2
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 2,138

My old-timer Italian boss would ask me to get him the Italian screwdriver and he would use it this way.

He had a great sense of humor.

CLambMad Dog_2
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,511

Hi, Similar to @Intplm. 's trick with getting a screw to start in a tricky place, I use electrical tape. Today I had to put in some screws recessed on top of equipment. I poked the screw through the center of a piece of electrical tape and then held the screw onto the screwdriver with the tape. After the screw is started, pull off the tape and then finish tightening it. 😏

Yours, Larry

Mad Dog_2Intplm.
  • RayWohlfarth

Lots of great tips thanks My tip for today I was watching a younger tech trying to remove a gasket using a wire brush. I showed him that using a knife and scraping the old gasket off was much easier Then use the wire brush

Ray Wohlfarth
    Boiler Lessons
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,753

I'm trimming in the charge on five 80 ton 38AP units. They have a different charging chart for the circuits. It's liquid line temp vs liquid line pressure, so basically subcooling; but it's a curve, not a number. And it's offset by evaporating temperature. (Whew!) Anyway, I printed up the chart & laminated it, & I plot the numbers with a dry erase marker. That lets me reuse the chart & gives me a trend so I can watch as the charge approaches the sweet spot.

In spite of the size of these units, they're basically critically charged. They have microchannel condenser coils. Those may look like a radiator, but the tubes aren't actually flattened tubing like a radiator—they're an extrusion with IIRC five or six li'l holes though the center. Total charge in the coil itself can't be more than a few pounds out of the 100ish lb charge. You'll go from under charged to overcharged in literally one pound.

RayWohlfarth
  • mattmia2

Also won't atomize the asbestos if there happens to be asbestos in the mix of that particular gasket.