Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

R-32

Options
EBEBRATT-Ed
EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,552
Anyone seen or used any units with this refrigerant? I just bought a new through the wall AC for our condo. I would have preferred a GE which I think the wall sleeves are originally GE wall sleeves, but the GEs are "out of stock"

So, I bought a Friedrich "Uni Fit" which means it will probably not fit anything LOL. Actually, it is supposed to fit most of the common wall sleeves.

Unfortunately, I tweaked my back. I wanted to measure the depth of the wall sleeve to make sure whatever I bought would fit. The bottom of the wall sleeve sits about 6' off the floor so standing on a 4' step ladder I yanked the old unit out (75 lbs) and set it on the top of the ladder while I measured the sleeve. Then I put it back in for now as the old unit still works and I was waiting for the new one.

My back was fine at the time but the next day I could hardly get out of bed. I have pulled these units in and out myself for years without issue.

I guess at almost 70 I have to stop thinking I am 40

Comments

• SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,170
    Options
    I've heard some window units are being sold that use R-32. I haven't dealt with any myself.  We are being told to expect R-32 and R454b split systems to be the new thing in 2025.
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,888
    edited April 2023
    Options
    EDIT:

Discussion title: R-32

SuperTech said:

I've heard some window units are being sold that use R-32. I haven't dealt with any myself.  We are being told to expect R-32 and R454b split systems to be the new thing in 2025.

OMG. All the new refrigerant numbers are starting to sound like hot rod numbers like numbers or gears in a transmission, openings in a carburetor, and cubic inches of displacement is sounding like a Beach Boys Song from the 1960s. She's real fine, my 409. with 4 on the floor. dual quad, posi-traction 409. and my 32 Ford, The Little Duce Coupe, with competition clutch and 4 on the floor, that purr like a kitten 'til the lake pipes roar. And who doesn't remember Shut Down where a Stingray was racing against the Mopar powered by a 413 Max Wedge with Ram Air induction and dual quad carbs

But adding the explanation kinds ruins the punchline

Perhaps we can write songs like My Funky Freon Friend with competition R22 TXV. or perhaps Communicating with my 410A Baby ...And that number one chart stopper No Nest For My Steamer By @pecmsg & the Blue Notes.

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

Mad Dog_2
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,723
    Options
    Wasn't R32 being pushed by Daikin a few years back?  
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    EBEBRATT-Ed
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,308
    Options
    Hi Ed, We're about the same age.

Yours, Larry
    EBEBRATT-EdMad Dog_2
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    Options
    Sucks, doesn't it? @Larry Weingarten
    Mad Dog_2
  • Larry Weingarten
    Options
    Well @EBEBRATT-Ed , there are pros and cons. I like the perspectives that having years on the planet bring. Also, I'm no longer getting dissed for being a kid... Still, I'm not sure what to think when they offer to carry my groceries out to the car, when I carried them up to the checkout. Guess there's humor everywhere. o:)

Yours, Larry

Mad Dog_2Erin Holohan HaskellEdTheHeaterManIronman
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,002
    Options
    I think I'm a bit younger than you guys are at 55, but by having an older Brother and sister and a young Uncle, I got exposed to everything from Glenn Miller Big Band of the 1940s-1980s.  This is a contiguous epoch of music history that will never be matched. 1970s was The Best Decade of all of them: Hard Rock, Pop, Disco, Funk, Classic Rock, Soft Rock, Heavy Metal, Punk....Mad Dog  🐕 
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    I'm at a complete loss..... How does refrigerant relate to 1960s cars / hot rods?

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    ethicalpaul
  • Larry Weingarten
    Options
    Hi @ChrisJ , It's my fault. I sidetracked us by responding only to Ed's comment about having a body 30 years older than he used to have. Back to R values! :p

Yours, Larry
  • ChrisJ
    Options

Hi @ChrisJ , It's my fault. I sidetracked us by responding only to Ed's comment about having a body 30 years older than he used to have. Back to R values! :p

Yours, Larry

R values?
    SuperTech
  • Larry Weingarten
    Options
    Morning humor... ;)
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,867
    Options

Anyone seen or used any units with this refrigerant? I just bought a new through the wall AC for our condo. I would have preferred a GE which I think the wall sleeves are originally GE wall sleeves, but the GEs are "out of stock"

So, I bought a Friedrich "Uni Fit" which means it will probably not fit anything LOL. Actually, it is supposed to fit most of the common wall sleeves.

Unfortunately, I tweaked my back. I wanted to measure the depth of the wall sleeve to make sure whatever I bought would fit. The bottom of the wall sleeve sits about 6' off the floor so standing on a 4' step ladder I yanked the old unit out (75 lbs) and set it on the top of the ladder while I measured the sleeve. Then I put it back in for now as the old unit still works and I was waiting for the new one.

My back was fine at the time but the next day I could hardly get out of bed. I have pulled these units in and out myself for years without issue.

I guess at almost 70 I have to stop thinking I am 40

Bottom line you have to use what they offer! Not a lot of choices out there.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    Options
    @Larry Weingarten

I noticed about 4-5 years ago walking up to a building with someone walking in front of me they would look at me and hold the door open for me. Don't know whether that is good or bad.
  • Larry Weingarten
    Options
    Hi @EBEBRATT-Ed , They do the same thing for/to me. I get even by holding the door for all of those young whipper-snappers following me. B)

Yours, Larry
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    edited April 2023
    Options
    ChrisJ said:

I'm at a complete loss..... How does refrigerant relate to 1960s cars / hot rods?

. Hey Chris, I did an edit to explain the reference to the numbers on refrigerants numbers and 1960 hot rod numbers. Both sets of numbers need to have inside information on what those numbers actually mean. My sister would be clueless on what any of the refrig. or motor head numbers mean. But they all make sense to the trade that uses them. Look above at the edit

Here is another reference to unrelated topics:
    The unitary products manufacturers have found the goose that lays the golden egg.

I remember gasoline at 24 cents a gallon. Then the 1970s happened, the price of fuel skyrocketed over 80 cents a gallon. The politician's step in to save the day and the price settled around 50 cents a gallon. The American people were satisfied to pay double the previous price. A few years later another oil crisis and fuel shot up over $1.50 per gallon, the politicians stepped in again to save the day and we were satisfied to pay about a dollar a gallon. This trend has made fuel cost over $4.00 per gallon and brought it back to $3.00 per gallon just recently. And we are going to live with the new higher price.

Anytime the fuel suppliers need to raise the price, just blame some geopolitical crisis and let the cost go way over what you really want, then drop it back to where they want it to be. Then America will be satisfied that someone reels in "Big Oil". But the price ends up higher each time.

About 25+ years ago the end of R-22 was in sight. The normal practice of installing an indoor coil or air handler and having up to 4 outdoor units connected to it over the lifetime of the furnace or air handler, came to an end. Can’t mix R-410a outdoor units with a R-22 indoor coil. Must replace the complete matched system. Now that those original R-410a units are getting to be 20+ years old, Those outdoor units might be replaced with another R410a unit. You can connect them to the existing indoor coil. But we can't have that… We must develop a newer, better refrigerant, so that you can't just swap out the condenser. We need to sell matched systems. More larger ticket parts. Make sure it is not compatible with anything they already have. This is a guarantee that every new condenser must have a matching indoor unit.

That is the golden egg. Planned refrigerant obsolescence!

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

Mad Dog_2
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    @EdTheHeaterMan Sorry, I know what everything in the song means, but still do not see any relation to the thread.

Perhaps it's just over my head.
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,684
    Options
    What are you doing to your outdoor units that they don't last ~40 years?
  • ChrisJ
    Options

ChrisJ said:

. Hey Chris, I did an edit to explain the reference to the numbers on refrigerants numbers and 1960 hot rod numbers. Both sets of numbers need to have inside information on what those numbers actually mean. My sister would be clueless on what any of the refrig. or motor head numbers mean. But they all make sense to the trade that uses them. Look above at the edit

Here is another reference to unrelated topics:
    The unitary products manufacturers have found the goose that lays the golden egg.

I remember gasoline at 24 cents a gallon. Then the 1970s happened, the price of fuel skyrocketed over 80 cents a gallon. The politician's step in to save the day and the price settled around 50 cents a gallon. The American people were satisfied to pay double the previous price. A few years later another oil crisis and fuel shot up over $1.50 per gallon, the politicians stepped in again to save the day and we were satisfied to pay about a dollar a gallon. This trend has made fuel cost over $4.00 per gallon and brought it back to $3.00 per gallon just recently. And we are going to live with the new higher price.

Anytime the fuel suppliers need to raise the price, just blame some geopolitical crisis and let the cost go way over what you really want, then drop it back to where they want it to be. Then America will be satisfied that someone reels in "Big Oil". But the price ends up higher each time.

About 25+ years ago the end of R-22 was in sight. The normal practice of installing an indoor coil or air handler and having up to 4 outdoor units connected to it over the lifetime of the furnace or air handler, came to an end. Can’t mix R-410a outdoor units with a R-22 indoor coil. Must replace the complete matched system. Now that those original R-410a units are getting to be 20+ years old, Those outdoor units might be replaced with another R410a unit. You can connect them to the existing indoor coil. But we can't have that… We must develop a newer, better refrigerant, so that you can't just swap out the condenser. We need to sell matched systems. More larger ticket parts. Make sure it is not compatible with anything they already have. This is a guarantee that every new condenser must have a matching indoor unit.

That is the golden egg. Planned refrigerant obsolescence!

I do agree with you on this.

• EdTheHeaterMan
    edited April 2023
    Options
    ChrisJ said:

@EdTheHeaterMan Sorry, I know what everything in the song means, but still do not see any relation to the thread.

Have you ever known anyone that does not know what everything in the songs mean?
    Or do only associate with motor heads?

Have you ever known anybody that does not understand thermodynamics, Hydronics and Refrigeration jargon? Or do you only associate with persons in our industry?

This attempt as sarcastic comedy relief however, is not all about you. As a matter of fact the joke was for everyone else except you. But it is nice that you shared your question about associating different aspects of the world with other aspects of the world and how they can not possibly have a correlation. We like when you chime in on this forum. Sometimes your opinions and information are actually helpful.

Thanks for pointing out that motor head jargon and trade jargon has nothing to do with each other. Unless you just look at the fact that it is jargon ...and all I said was that one jargon reminds me of the other jargon

Thanks for sharing

Edit: BTW, Betty Davis has nothing to do with cars or refrigerant, but it was a little funny.

Edward Young Retired

Mad Dog_2
  • ChrisJ
    edited April 2023
    Options

ChrisJ said:

Have you ever known anyone that does not know what everything in the songs mean?
    Or do only associate with motor heads?

Have you ever known anybody that does not understand thermodynamics, Hydronics and Refrigeration jargon? Or do you only associate with persons in our industry?

This attempt as sarcastic comedy relief however, is not all about you. As a matter of fact the joke was for everyone else except you. But it is nice that you shared your question about associating different aspects of the world with other aspects of the world and how they can not possibly have a correlation. We like when you chime in on this forum. Sometimes your opinions and information are actually helpful.

Thanks for pointing out that motor head jargon and trade jargon has nothing to do with each other. Unless you just look at the fact that it is jargon ...and all I said was that one jargon reminds me of the other jargon

Thanks for sharing

Edit: BTW, Betty Davis has nothing to do with cars or refrigerant, but it was a little funny.

Ok.
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,002
    Options
    We are not robots, Chris.  I speak only for myself, but I actually enjoy and am very  interested in other people's references,  Little stories, life experiences, age differences.  It would be very cold and boring otherwise.  Mad Dog 
    EdTheHeaterManMaxMercy
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Options
    Sorry about your back mind is a little out at the moment as well. I was doing sit ups and apparently your not supposed too do that at our age. But back to the sidebar I always wanted to open a bar called the Superheat hideaway or the Suction Line lounge and cover the walls with old controls and TXV,s and such. 
    EdTheHeaterMan
  • MaxMercy
    MaxMercy Member Posts: 508
    Options

Sucks, doesn't it? [getting old]

It does a bit, but it doesn't bother me beyond the aches and pains age brings. Here's why - of all the great and brilliant people who ever walked on this Earth in all of our history, not a single one of them ever beat the system. If there was at least one person who lived well two or three hundred years of age, I'd be pissed that I've only got maybe 20 years on average left barring any catastrophes.

It's just the laws of nature and that's one law none of us will ever break.

Larry Weingarten
  • ChrisJ
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Mad Dog_2 said:

We are not robots, Chris.  I speak only for myself, but I actually enjoy and am very  interested in other people's references,  Little stories, life experiences, age differences.  It would be very cold and boring otherwise.  Mad Dog 

I'm going to need you to prove that.....

MaxMercyWMno57EdTheHeaterManErin Holohan Haskell
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    Options
    ChrisJ said:

@Mad Dog_2 Said: We are not robots, Chris.  I speak only for myself, but I actually enjoy and am very  interested in other people's references,  Little stories, life experiences, age differences.  It would be very cold and boring otherwise.  Mad Dog 

I'm going to need you to prove that.....

I LOVE THIS ONE!

Proof is in the details.

Edward Young Retired

ChrisJ