Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Which way to tilt radiator w/ valve & vent on same side?

farrisjc
farrisjc Member Posts: 5
(Alternate title: is this installed incorrectly?)

Renovated a 100yr old house - trying to get the one-pipe steam optimized (boiler seems fine and so far we had it drained/cleaned, plus new valves and vents on each radiator), but this one in the bathroom has the loudest water hammering.

First step I wanna try is shimming it, but I’m unsure which way it should tilt since the valve and air vent seem to defy the standard and are both on the same side… generally it does provide enough heat and the vent only rarely bubbles - but is this design problematic? Or if it should still be fine - which side should be elevated?

Thanks!

Comments

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,572
    edited March 2023
    Toward the valve. The condensate has to drain out the valve. Unless the internal construction of that is unusual it won't heat very well because the vent will close before the steam reaches the other side(the air also will tend to be trapped in the side opposite the valve and vent and it won't get much steam in that side even if the vent didn't close). The real fix is to move the vent to where there is a plug or boss for the vent on the other side.

Although with it being so small it might be ok.
  • farrisjc
    edited March 2023
    Thanks Matt - noted on the inefficiency w/ this setup, but it’s a very small bathroom so it seems fine for now.

I just want to make sure I’m 100%, by “toward the valve” you mean elevate the left side of the radiator?

I ask only because the valve opening to the pipe is facing the right side - so I could kind of see elevating the right side making sense if you specifically needed it pitched “toward the valve opening”… but I think you mean generally that any water in the radiator needs to drain toward the valve - and thus I should elevate the left side. Let me know, thanks!
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,572
    The left side of the radiator should be slightly higher than the right because the water in the radiator itself has to run toward where the valve is connected.
  • farrisjc
    Roger that - appreciate the help!
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,695
    But the problem as I think you noted is that if you pitch the left side higher (which I agree with) the nature of this radiator is such that the short horizontal pipe will collect some water. So I wouldn't pitch it very much.
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,775
    Raise the left side maybe 1/8”. You don’t need a lot!
    ethicalpaul
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,695
    And I assume @pecmsg means "raise the left side 1/8" from level" not "from whatever it currently is"
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
    pecmsg
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,512
    One inch in 10 feet is the rule. You don’t need much. 
    Retired and loving it.
  • farrisjc
    Got it shimmed on the left about 1/8” - will let you know how it goes. Appreciate the responses everyone!
  • farrisjc
    A few days later, I would say there’s about a 90% reduction in water hammering. Thanks again!
    bburdpecmsgethicalpaul
  • Danny Scully
    Danny Scully Member Posts: 1,416
    This style radiator should actually be completely level. The 2 inner connections don’t allow for pitch, because pitching of one would back pitch the other. The vent is also on the wrong side of the radiator. 
    STEAM DOCTORethicalpaul