Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Custom hook to pick up steam radiator using electric hoist

branimal
branimal Member Posts: 210
I'm stripping all my radiators using a lye bath. To make this a one man operation I'm using a hoist to flip and move the rads. I made some hooks out of 5/16" rod. The hooks work on most of the radiators.

One radiator is posing a bit of a problem. The side fins are too tight for the rod to get into. That means I have to hook over the top section. But the hook will make contact with the threaded rod that holds all the sections together. I tried pushing a straight 5/16 rod through that gap and it won't fit. So no chance of getting a hook through. Will the hook contacting the threaded rod with the weight of the radiator damage the rod?

Here are some pics to explain my situation a bit better:

Mad Dog_2

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,169
    Not ideal, but if you don't jerk on it it should work. Are you using just one hook? Can you use two, set about a quarter of the way in from each end? That would be better.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    branimal
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,776
    1/4” wire rope will handle it
    mattmia2
  • branimal

Not ideal, but if you don't jerk on it it should work. Are you using just one hook? Can you use two, set about a quarter of the way in from each end? That would be better.

I'm using two hooks.
    pecmsg said:

1/4” wire rope will handle it

1/4" wire rope with crimped loop? I was never sure how much weight a crimped wire rope can handle.

Thanks guys.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    3/8 wire rope has a breaking strength of 13,000 pounds so 1/4" will be fine.

Look at hoists and come a longs they use 1/4" wire rope or smaller.

The wire rope clips reduce the weight lifting capacity but will still be plenty strong. Use multiple clips and apply them properly
    pecmsgMikeAmannbranimal
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,831
    I admire your guile and Mc gyver rigging, just be careful please.  We've been finding some threaded rod that looks normal but is a cheap knock off and have snapped instead of bending under stress.  Also, your come-along or chain fall is only as strong as the beam or member it is hitched to.  Are u happy with the job the lye bath is doing? 
    What do you rinse it off with?  I prefer the hand truck to sandblaster/paint shop and reinstall.   Much less mess and safer.  My opinion.   Either way good luck. Mad Dog
    branimal
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    Soft ties for motorcycles. A thin webbing with loops
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • JimP
    JimP Member Posts: 87
    This is an adjustable hook device that I made to pick up radiators with a hoist. It works real well and is easily adjusted.
    branimal
  • branimal
    Mad Dog_2 said:

I admire your guile and Mc gyver rigging, just be careful please.  We've been finding some threaded rod that looks normal but is a cheap knock off and have snapped instead of bending under stress.  Also, your come-along or chain fall is only as strong as the beam or member it is hitched to.  Are u happy with the job the lye bath is doing? 
    What do you rinse it off with?  I prefer the hand truck to sandblaster/paint shop and reinstall.   Much less mess and safer.  My opinion.   Either way good luck. Mad Dog

The lye bath works fairly well. It takes about 48 hours for each radiator (one flip halfway thru). After the lye bath I move it along the "assembly line" to a washing bin. I spray it down with vinegar to neutralize the lye and then hose it off. Some spots require a little wire brushing.

The lye doesn't move the rust on the radiators. Some are more rusty than others. I have used wire attachments on my drill to remove the rust in the past. I might try electrolysis to remove the rust on the radiators. I've done this with various old tools, Jeep parts, etc.

My setup is a 10' unistrut, 2 unistrut trollies, and 3 channel trolley supports. The supports are hung with 1/2" thread rod and rod hanger plates. The plates are screwed into 3 different joists.

I don't know much about sandblasting. Looks like s/b would take off the paint and rust and the process would be over fairly quickly. Do you just blast outside in the backyard?
    Mad Dog_2
  • Pumpguy
    Pumpguy Member Posts: 645
    @branimal, Do you have any idea how much weight you've been able to lift with your set-up?

I have a need for a small hoist set-up, and an arrangement like yours might fit my needs.

Thanks.
    Dennis Pataki. Former Service Manager and Heating Pump Product Manager for Nash Engineering Company. Phone: 1-888 853 9963

The first step in solving any problem is TO IDENTIFY THE PROBLEM.
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,575
    I have done sandblasting in my yard. I needed a bigger compressor than I had, I did a lot of waiting for pressure to build back up.

I would just get some small chain and an eye that screws on the chain and thread it through the space.
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,831
    Atleast on Long Island 🏝 Sandblasting is cheap...The come our SOOOOOO perfect...like brand new C I. (No rust..all raised detail.   Then they powder coat them any color u want.  They do my rads very reasonably.   IM for more details.  Most Industrial parks are going to have a Sandblasting/paint shop...maybe several shop around. Hardest part is getting them down/up the stairs and back. Moving companies will do this.  I  know lye is nasty and will burn a hole through your hand...ain't worth it to me. Mad 🐕 Dog
    branimal
  • branimal
    Pumpguy said:

@branimal, Do you have any idea how much weight you've been able to lift with your set-up?

I have a need for a small hoist set-up, and an arrangement like yours might fit my needs.

Thanks.

So the largest rad I picked up is 25H x 21 W x 8" D. It is made by National Art Radiator. If you can estimate the weight, please let me know how you calculated it. Pics attached.

I am going to put a pulley on the hoist, which doubles the lifting capacity for the largest radiator I have.

reggi
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,776
    branimal said:
    The lye bath works fairly well. It takes about 48 hours for each radiator (one flip halfway thru). After the lye bath I move it along the "assembly line" to a washing bin. I spray it down with vinegar to neutralize the lye and then hose it off. Some spots require a little wire brushing. The lye doesn't move the rust on the radiators. Some are more rusty than others. I have used wire attachments on my drill to remove the rust in the past. I might try electrolysis to remove the rust on the radiators. I've done this with various old tools, Jeep parts, etc. My setup is a 10' unistrut, 2 unistrut trollies, and 3 channel trolley supports. The supports are hung with 1/2" thread rod and rod hanger plates. The plates are screwed into 3 different joists. I don't know much about sandblasting. Looks like s/b would take off the paint and rust and the process would be over fairly quickly. Do you just blast outside in the backyard?
    Look up the load rating in the manual I posted. 
    I’d run 3/8” rods every joice to be safe. 
    branimal
  • JimP
    JimP Member Posts: 87
    Pumpguy…I used to use a hoist like that until the switch burned out. I don’t remember it’s capacity but I’d say 800 pounds is ok so most radiators would be fine. They’re economical, 110V, and fast. I rigged one to a gantry crane and trolley When the switch burned out I was able to reasonably find an old Budgit 1T chain hoist to replace it. That hoist isn’t nearly as handy. If I were to do it again I’d just buy a new replacement of the featured hoist. As many have pointed out capacity is really about what the hoist is hanging from.

I absolutely recommend sand blasting over anything else…if you’re lucky enough to have a good place to do it.