Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Electric water heater recommendation

Options
tamer
tamer Member Posts: 28
edited December 2022 in Plumbing
Hi folks,
I’m a home owner who buys rheem electric water heaters for the past 15 years and they don’t last. Recently after 5 years. They leak from the sides. Most of my installations use city water. 

What water heater brand do you recommend? I’m looking for reliable electric water heater. Tankless water heater is not an option for me due to the setup. Thanks 

Comments

• pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,881
    Options
    X-2 on the HPWH. at 2 or 3 times more efficient over straight electric not a long payback period.
    JakeCKtamer
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,324
    Options
    I'll add that anodes being used up and water pressure are two of the biggest killers of water heaters. In softened water, the anode can be completely gone in six months. Pressure can damage the glass lining, so the anode must work harder to protect the tank.

Yours, Larry
    STEVEusaPAtamer
  • MikeL_2
    MikeL_2 Member Posts: 494
    edited December 2022
    Options
       Consider replacing the sacrificial anode with a powered anode in the new water heater, and, include an expansion tank as part of the new installation.......
    tamer
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,246
    Options
    The Rheem Marathon is a plastic tank with lifetime warranty
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    mattmia2ethicalpaul
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,723
    Options
    I was going to mention the Rheem Marathon that Bob named above. I bought one and installed in my old house and I was very impressed with the apparent build quality. I bought it because I couldn't stand the idea of a tank rusting out in a few years.

But their heat pump water heater is really good too (in my limited experience), but I have no idea how it would hold up to your water. Is your water weird?
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,324
    Options
    Hi, I'm waiting for the time Rheem marries a Marathon tank with a heat pump. That would be a nice combination. Nyle makes a separate heat pump that could be hooked up to a Marathon tank: https://www.nyle.com/water-heating-systems/e-series/ That too would be a nice combo. Then it wouldn't much matter all that much what your water quality was. o:)

Yours, Larry
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,734
    Options
    There are a few stainless tanks out there too if you have the right water chemistry A powered anode might be the least expensive option.
    kcopp
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,246
    Options

Hi, I'm waiting for the time Rheem marries a Marathon tank with a heat pump. That would be a nice combination. Nyle makes a separate heat pump that could be hooked up to a Marathon tank: https://www.nyle.com/water-heating-systems/e-series/ That too would be a nice combo. Then it wouldn't much matter all that much what your water quality was. o:)

Yours, Larry

I tried to figure out how to get a heat exchanger into a marathon. The use a small diameter element, so not much access to the tank.

Maybe a Butler Solar Wand down the cold port.

I suspect the tanks will outlast the refrigeration components, the circuit boards
    or the wrap around HX on hpwh?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,734
    Options
    I suspect the heat pump water heaters will suffer the same fate of deffective copper tubing as the 3 dehumidifiers I have with evaporator leaks.
  • DJD775
    DJD775 Member Posts: 252
    Options

tamer said:

Hi folks,
    I’m a home owner who buys rheem electric water heaters for the past 15 years and they don’t last. Recently after 5 years. They leak from the sides. Most of my installations use city water. 

What water heater brand do you recommend? I’m looking for reliable electric water heater. Tankless water heater is not an option for me due to the setup. Thanks 
    Hello, Instead of using electric water heaters, why don't you prefer Bathroom infrared heaters? The panel comes with a super white or black glass surface and stainless steel or black towel rails respectively, so there is an option that looks beautiful in every bathroom. This glass panel has IP44 protection class making it suitable to use in bathrooms.
    I would like to place my vote for spam of the year :smiley:
    GGross
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,607
    Options
    The stone lined electric water heaters like Vaughn last forever at least around here (MA) but they are expensive and heavy.
  • psb75
    psb75 Member Posts: 843
    Options
    I have to move a 30 yr old Vaughn 119 gal. stone-lined tank OUT of cellar...
    No fun.
    pecmsg
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,282
    Options
    The OP's problem is depressing. Decades ago electric water tanks lasted for years.
    And if heating elements were descaled they'd last as well.