Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Optimizing a New System

Hi All,
I recently had my Burnham Jublee replaced with a MegaSteam 513. When it runs, prior to the Cycle Guard (CG450-1560) cutting it off, it never builds more than ~0.25 psi. My Jublee would cycle off at just less than 1.0 psi. The MegaSteam burner is being fired at 1.0 GPH, it is rated at 1.35 GPH, should the nozzle be increased to the next larger size? Is the Cycle Guard forcing the system to shut off to frequently?

Comments

• pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,776
    Why is the water level dropping?
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    Hopefully the Cyclegard is just doing its thing. You don't want to build more pressure than what you have -- sounds like the system is running pretty well.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Long Beach Ed
    Long Beach Ed Member Posts: 1,199
    edited January 2023
    If all the radiators are heating, you have sufficient steam pressure for distribution. Ideally, the pressuretrol should never have to shut off the burner on a properly sized boiler.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    @MyNameIsMike

Don't worry about the pressure unless you're not getting heat. The lower the pressure you run the better.
    MyNameIsMike
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    Does the water level actually drop or is the Cyclegard just doing it's shut down for testing?
    pecmsg
  • MyNameIsMike
    MyNameIsMike Member Posts: 6
    Hi pecmsg,
    I assume that it is boiling off. When the 15 minute cycle guard kicks in the water level slowly comes back, within the 60 shutoff time.
  • MyNameIsMike
    Hi Jamie Hall,
    The cycle guard is only triggering on time, not low water.
  • MyNameIsMike

If all the radiators are heating, you have sufficient steam pressure for distribution. Ideally, the pressuretrol should never have to shut off the burner on a properly sized boiler.

My radiators are getting hot.
  • MyNameIsMike
    JUGHNE said:

Does the water level actually drop or is the Cyclegard just doing it's shut down for testing?

The water level in the sight glass does drop by over an inch.