Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

efficiency

mikeGlosta
mikeGlosta Member Posts: 5
I have well mcclain oil burner hot water- old old old. Efficiency at 71pc. I can't afford a new burner right now. What makes the burner so inefficient? Can a technician raise it to 80 pc. I can sent pics with specs if necessary.
Thanks

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,182
    Maybe -- but you will need a good one. It needs to be thoroughly cleaned. The combustion chamber needs to be carefully examined and any firebrick which is missing or damaged replaced. The technician should check and see if any baffles in the gas path are missing or out of place. Then he will need to check the combustion, paying particular attention to the flame pattern and adequacy (there is no guarantee that the nozzle which is in there is even close to right, nor at the correct pressure), and then adjust for correct draughts and zero smoke.

Does it take time? Yes, probably the better part of a day if it hasn't been done in the last year or two. Is it worth it? Yes.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    MikeAmannLong Beach EdSuperTech
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    edited November 2022
    Should be doing better than that-properly cleaned and set up correctly. High draft, high excess air kills efficiency, as does underfiring.
    Best to get a tech in there who knows what they are doing.
    Let’s see some pictures.
    steve
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,777
    I have well mcclain oil burner hot water- old old old. Efficiency at 71pc. I can't afford a new burner right now. What makes the burner so inefficient? Can a technician raise it to 80 pc. I can sent pics with specs if necessary.
    Thanks
    Did you get the combination print out?
  • mikeGlosta
    Would these pics give more information?
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,457
    Co2 is low. Should be 11%. Stack temp is high by 50-60 degrees.

A good cleaning and adjustment should get you to 80%.

Did they actually clean the soot out of the fireside of the boiler or just change the nozzle and filter and call it a cleaning?
    Long Beach Ed
  • MikeAmann
    MikeAmann Member Posts: 996
    Were you there watching everything while the cleaning/servicing was happening?
  • Long Beach Ed
    Long Beach Ed Member Posts: 1,199
    edited November 2022
    Ed and Jamie are right. That is a modern boiler which is capable of better work. It's a big job to clean a boiler, check and set up the firing and properly adjust combustion. I don't think 80% would be unreasonable to expect. Those stack temperatures say the boiler's probably dirty.
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,777
    If there only there for an hour there not doing there job. 
    MikeAmann
  • mikeGlosta
    I don't know what was done. I paid for a cleaning.
  • MikeAmann
    MikeAmann Member Posts: 996

Then you need to be more involved with YOUR heating system.

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,457
    @mikeGlosta unfortunately a lot of service companys don't give a dam. In and out change the nozzle and filter and that's it.

I think the boiler is dirty and needs a good cleaning
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,806
    It looks like a 3 section 66. The boiler is under fired, unless the pump pressure is 200 psi.
    Stack temperature is way too high. The boiler is dirty and the draft numbers possibly fudged.
    The roofing nail isn't helping to bring the CO2 number up.

Long Beach Ed
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,592
    MikeAmann said:

Then you need to be more involved with YOUR heating system.

Yes,
    When you hire a professional to do a job you need to be more involved..........
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    GGross
  • BDR529
    BDR529 Member Posts: 282
    That is from May..Fuel line should be more of a concern than Effcy'.
  • captainco
    captainco Member Posts: 792
    The internal pressure drop of oil equipment when firing correctly and clean is -.02" difference. If it is dirty the overfire would be less and the difference greater. If it is underfired the difference would be less, which is the case here. Of course that could be because it is dirty and the technician did that to save time.