Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

California electric rates go to time of use.

2»

Comments

• jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,230

jumper said:

...PUC s in states like California and New York mismanaged for decades so future residents must pay in the future...

How did those agencies mismanage? Please be specific. How does that alleged mismanagement result in future costs? Please be specific.
    NY residents paid for years to build LongIslandNuke; only after it was licensed to produce power that then GovernorMarioCumo nixed it. Specific enough?
    California allowed one of its two nukes to go out of business just in time for state to run short of juice. California promised to subsidize PV users at expense of everybody.

Long Beach Ed
  • Sal Santamaura
    Sal Santamaura Member Posts: 529
    jumper said:

jumper said:

...PUC s in states like California and New York mismanaged for decades so future residents must pay in the future...

How did those agencies mismanage? Please be specific. How does that alleged mismanagement result in future costs? Please be specific.
    NY residents paid for years to build LongIslandNuke; only after it was licensed to produce power that then GovernorMarioCumo nixed it. Specific enough?...
    Not at all. That the New York Public Service Commission authorized Shoreham and Mario Cuomo agreed to shut it down after LilCo and GE had failed to make it work doesn't reflect at all on PSC's management. It reflects on LilCo and GE mismanagement.
    jumper said:

...California allowed one of its two nukes to go out of business just in time for state to run short of juice...

I've lived nine miles from the San Onofre plant since 1978. If one looks at maps of that site from the 19th century, it's labeled as "Earthquake Bay." The plant never should have been built there in the first place. Closing it was long overdue. The California PUC didn't just "allow" San Onofre to close, it secretly worked with it to facilitate the closing. In my opinion, that wasn't mismanagement. It was a positive thing. Also, California is not "running short of juice." The transition away from fossil fuels for homes, businesses and transportation will increase grid load. Renewables and sanely-sited nukes of safer designs, with substantial federal government oversight, will take up the slack over time.
    jumper said:

...California promised to subsidize PV users at expense of everybody.

Since everybody benefits from reduced carbon emissions that accompany proliferating photovoltaics, it seems appropriate that "everybody" subsidize them. Good PUC management, not mismanagement.

• Hot_water_fan
    Hot_water_fan Member Posts: 1,823
    The biggest challenge facing California electricity providers seems to be Californians use almost no electricity. The weather is too good! Hard to get economics of scale with no scale. 
  • Sal Santamaura
    edited November 2022

The biggest challenge facing California electricity providers seems to be Californians use almost no electricity. The weather is too good! Hard to get economics of scale with no scale. 

Don't be mislead by the monthly kWh numbers I posted above for this benign coastal climate. There are many California locations with substantial heating and cooling requirements. Our electric utility, San Diego Gas and Electric, sends out "report card" letters on a regular basis. Even here, mine always indicates that we use roughly a third what those with similar size houses in our neighborhood do.

In a state with around 40 million residents, there's far too much "economy of scale." :) Note that only Texas consumes more MWh in a year:

https://ipsr.ku.edu/ksdata/ksah/energy/18ener7.pdf

And Texas has only 75% of California's population, while using 71% more electricity.
  • Sal Santamaura

...Today, my most recent bill was $87.59 for 233 kilowatt-hours. That seems like a 42% increase, not double. I wonder how much electrical costs have increased in other parts of the country over the last four years.

This was a particularly warm year, lasting well into the Sep-Oct billing period, so I suppose our handful of fans throughout the house accounted for those extra four kilowatt-hours.

@pecmsg, how can you disagree with that post? Do you have copies of my electric bills? Did I misread them? :)
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,230
    I've seen CaliforniaEdison bills showing how much Californians pay for electricity. The 37 cents quoted in previous post is already expensive (especially when one needs A/C) and gets worse.
    There's also no question that New Yorkers have also been paying through the nose for decades. Also no question that electric suppliers have fixed costs that somebody pays.
    One way capable persons can economize is to power their A/C completely off grid. Obviously if too many do that then the choice will be between other people paying even more or making those off grid folks "pay their fair share"

Long Beach Ed