Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

I need a Gas Meter Clocking Chart PDF to reproduce.

Options
JohnNY
JohnNY Member Posts: 3,230
Good morning all,
I'm looking for a good quality, high-ish resolution gas meter clocking chart PDF or image that I can reproduce and print cleanly to hand out to my students. Everything I see with a quick search online is too small and cruddy looking. Any help is appreciated.
Best to all,
JohnNY
Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
Consulting & Troubleshooting
Heating in NYC or NJ.
Classes

Comments

• pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,847
    Options
    JohnNY said:

Good morning all,
    I'm looking for a good quality, high-ish resolution gas meter clocking chart PDF or image that I can reproduce and print cleanly to hand out to my students. Everything I see with a quick search online is too small and cruddy looking. Any help is appreciated.
    Best to all,
    JohnNY

Have you tried contacting PSE&G?
  • ch4man
    ch4man Member Posts: 296
    Options
    I still believe the best thing to do is teach them to memorize the math, then they'll always have it with them (in their head).
    3600/seconds to pass 1 Cu Ft=CFH. now multiply that by the current BTU content of 1 Cu Ft.
    if medium pressure gas through the gas meter ( 2 PSI in our area) 3600/seconds to pass 1 CuFt x 1.12= CFH.

build a man a fire and he stays warm for the night, set a man on fire he stays warm for the rest of his life!
    JohnNYEdTheHeaterMan
  • JohnNY
    Options
    ch4man said:

I still believe the best thing to do is teach them to memorize the math, then they'll always have it with them (in their head).
    3600/seconds to pass 1 Cu Ft=CFH. now multiply that by the current BTU content of 1 Cu Ft.
    if medium pressure gas through the gas meter ( 2 PSI in our area) 3600/seconds to pass 1 CuFt x 1.12= CFH.

build a man a fire and he stays warm for the night, set a man on fire he stays warm for the rest of his life!

I don't get it. So, if a 2 foot dial takes 34 seconds to make one full rotation, how do you apply your math?
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,677
    Options
    JohnNY said:

Good morning all,
    Best to all,
    JohnNY

It's actually a shame no one makes a phone app to do this.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,837
    Options
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,702
    Options
    There's the PDF! Nice link, Ed! I put that math into a google spreadsheet but it's been a few years and I don't remember the math either just like ch4man said :sweat_smile:
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    Options
    https://www.honeywellgasdepot.com/media/catalog/category/specifications/EAM-OM0001.pdf

Here is a spread sheet I just made up for that calculation.

Now you can google Clock Gas Meter Chart and maybe this will show up.
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
    JohnNY
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    edited November 2022
    Options
    I don't get it. So, if a 2 foot dial takes 34 seconds to make one full rotation, how do you apply your math?

2 CF dial / 34 sec. x 3600 = total 211.76. CF
  • ch4man
    Options
    JohnNY said:

ch4man said:

use 7200 instead of 3600. there are 3600 seconds in one hour, so there has to be 7200 seconds in two hours. in your example one could substitute 17 seconds instead and still keep the 3600 in the formula.

this entire trade requires math, at all levels. sure we can't remember everything so cheat sheets are nice but this one I found easy to remember
  • ch4man
    Options
    thanks Ed, I spout off 1.12 when doing a conversion for 2PSI gas but that reflects the local elevation above sea level where I'm at. one would need to adjust the math for their one location. or carry many cheatsheets............
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Options
    Here's an actual calculator that will adjust for elevation. Check it out and let me know if it works.
    I added it my other Excel SS of calculations if you want the whole shebang.
    steve
    ratio
  • Mike_Sheppard
    Mike_Sheppard Member Posts: 696
    Options
    See attached files. I wrote these for my guys. The worksheet correction factor is based on my local pressures.
    Never stop learning.
  • JohnNY
    Options

See attached files. I wrote these for my guys. The worksheet correction factor is based on my local pressures.

Excellent! Thank you.
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes