Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

louvered door for HVAC closet?

weil_fail
weil_fail Member Posts: 84
edited August 2022 in THE MAIN WALL
hey,

I want to help a friend enclose his HVAC closet. he has an electric water heater and an electric heat pump. is it ok to put a solid door over that opening, or does it have to be louvered. he prefers solid. (location: USA, maryland). there is no return in the closet, the returns are all ducted

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    All electric? No fossil fuels burning, even for back up? Then you can do a solid door.
    But please don't make the closet so tight that no one can perform maintenance on the furnace, specifically getting the blower out, and access to condensate pump, lines and traps.
    Or jamb the wall too close to the water heater and no one can get to the elements or the relief valve.
    steve
    mattmia2HVACNUT
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,572
    Make sure the old equipment will fit out the door and new equipment can be moved in as well.
    STEVEusaPA
  • neilc
    neilc Member Posts: 2,689
    ah hell,
    I want 3 feet clear around all that equipment,
    too much to ask ?
    known to beat dead horses
  • weil_fail
    weil_fail Member Posts: 84
    edited October 2020
    correct, no gas at all.

we'll be sure to keep it as clear as possible and easy to access.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,161
    May I ask where the heat pump is getting its source air? You need to provide for that; they require a lot of air for the source.

And, as @neilc noted, at least three feet clear all around -- but check your electrical codes; it may require more, particularly if there is switchgear in there as well.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    2 year old thread
    Zman
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,615
    Necro'd by a single-post user. OTOH, no link in the mesg, so the jury's still out.
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,572
    @Erin Holohan Haskell I might suggest that when someone posts that the default is that they follow their own post.
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,276
    Thanks, @mattmia2.
    President
    HeatingHelp.com
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,276
    ratio said:

Necro'd by a single-post user. OTOH, no link in the mesg, so the jury's still out.

Link added later, so this was spam. We've got it. Thanks!
    President
    HeatingHelp.com
This discussion has been closed.