Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Tankless system for both hot water and for steam heat?

Thane
Thane Member Posts: 7
I'm redoing my basement and the designer suggested that I replace both the hot water tank and the steam boiler with a tankless system. I know tankless systems are a real alternative for a hot water tank but I never heard of a system that would do both hot water and steam. But I thought I would check. Both are gas, btw.

Comments

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,583
    Thane said:

I'm redoing my basement and the designer suggested that I replace both the hot water tank and the steam boiler with a tankless system. I know tankless systems are a real alternative for a hot water tank but I never heard of a system that would do both hot water and steam. But I thought I would check. Both are gas, btw.

I think you need a new designer.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    Ironman
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,572
    Is your system actually steam and not some form of hot water? There are not compact wall hung boilers for steam, there are only cast iron or steel conventional boilers that are capable of producing steam.
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,775
    Thane said:
    Show him the door and kick him hard!
    Ironman
  • mark schofield
    mark schofield Member Posts: 153
    this is both confusing and concerning. please do more research before going too far with this designer/contractor
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    Agree with the above comments. Maybe he wants you to convert your steam system to hot water?
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,159
    Agree with all of the above. Your "designer" is a quack. Get rid of him or her.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Ironman
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    We considered an idle school building for a day care/pre school etc.
    The "Professional" constructor advisor told them they would have to tear out the radiators as steam is too dangerous for small children.

They were state of the art hot water convectors (1961) with fan units, outside air.
    Pencil proof convector grills specifically for schools of all grades.

There is a boiler with 2 football size pumps and a hanging compression tank of 60 gallon size.

He told the owners it was a steam system and could burn the infants.

He was well papered and lettered of course.