Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Blocking UV

delta T
delta T Member Posts: 884
edited January 2022 in Radiant Heating
So, I installed radiant tubing for a 5000 Sq ft slab, and the concrete has been delayed.  Has anyone ever had to cover tubing to prevent UV damage?  Anyone know what would effectively block UV?  I don't thing regular 6 mil polyethylene sheeting does....maybe heavy plastic tarps?

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,168
    i'd use the cheap blue or black tarps from the big box.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Zmandelcrossvdelta T
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,616
    I'd think the black plastic would stop the UV, at least until it degraded, but I don't know that for a fact.
    delta T
  • PC7060
    PC7060 Member Posts: 1,155
    ratio said:
    I'd think the black plastic would stop the UV, at least until it degraded, but I don't know that for a fact.
    Agree with @ratio, the black 6 mil will block the UV.
    How long of a delay are you dealing with?
    delta T
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,419
    Most Mfg say 30 days max... if it a week or 2 you are prob fine. Although coverage is a good thing.
    delta T
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,168
    Yes, the 6 mil black plastic will work -- if you can keep it down if it's windy.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    delta T
  • EternalNoob
    EternalNoob Member Posts: 42
    save yourself a few bucks and tarp over with whatever house-wrap material you plan to use later to waterpoof the walls of the building (tar-paper, tyvek, ...). House wrap has a much longer time period it can be exposed to UV.
    delta T
  • delta T
    delta T Member Posts: 884
    Thanks for the replies everyone, the GC put down 6 mil black plastic to cover it. I have no idea how long the delay will be. There was a huge push to get the tubing in to pour the concrete, but now the concrete company is not pouring for some reason. Out of my hands, I warned both the owner and the contractor before I installed the tubing that UV exposure needed to be limited to 30 days as per the manufacturer (uponor HePex). Not really my problem, but I will be inspecting the tubing before they pour looking for signs of UV damage. In any case I am not going to warranty the tubing at this point. I've got 100 PSI on it at the moment. Can be frustrating some times..... :/