Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Taco zone valve wiring

Options
red69viper
red69viper Member Posts: 5
edited January 2022 in Domestic Hot Water
My house has 6 zones coming off the boiler . 5 of then are for the heating zones (only use 4, 1 need comes on because it's the second floor, and 1 is for a stand alone heater in the garage that I removed the thermostat) and 1 zone connects to the indirect water heater .

The 24 volt power to all these heads is wired on series, with the control wore obviously run from the thermostat.  As you can imagine it's a rats nest at the boiler . 

The power head for the indirect water heater is the last one in the series and always seems to have issues. I have lived in the house for 11 years and have only had to replace 1 of the heat valves once. I have replaced the valve for the water heater multiple times since it kept "not getting power ". It seems like the wires tend to lose contact with each other down the series connections . 

Should these valves be worked on series, jumping power from one valve to the next ? Or should I rewire the valve in parallel? That would involve just two pig tails, with wore nuts, and like 6 leads, each going directly to a valve ? 

Thank you in advance for any help .

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Do yourself a huge favor and clean that mess up with either of these.
    As a bonus, you will know the status of your t-stats and end switches at a glance.

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Taco-ZVC406-4-6-Zone-Valve-Control-Module-with-Priority
    https://www.supplyhouse.com/Caleffi-ZVR106-6-Zone-Valve-Control-w-Priority
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    IronmanSTEVEusaPA
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,785
    Options
    Should be wired in series per zone valve . With two zone valves using one thermostat wired in parrelle Transformer may be too small that many zone valves . A over draw of a transformer will weaking and kill a transformer ... Transformers are rated in VA Volts x Amps , Lets assume the zone valves have their separate transformer , which is a good practice . You have 5 one valves and to total amp draw depends on the zonevalve model . Take a HW V8043 which uses a 7.7 VA , your 5 would need min 38VA or a truck stock 40VA . I would recommend up sizing to atleast 50VA . Honeywell 50VA comes with a built in circuit breaker which could come in handy working in a birds nest ...
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
  • red69viper
    Options
    Zman. Do these controllers install at the boiler? I'll take a picture of my rats nest but I don't see how either of these would work . 

Thanks 
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,284
    Options
    Say what? I'm not quite sure we are using the language properly? By "wired in series" do you mean that power goes from the transformer to a terminal on Zone valve 1 (hopefully 2), then to the same terminal on the next zone valve, then the next, and so on? And the other lead from the transformer goes to all the R connections on the thermostats? And that each thermostat has its own wire coming back to terminal 1 on the respective zone valve? (If these are Taco Zone Sentry valves the principle is the same).

That's not series. It's also not good practice. The problem is if you have more than one wire under a terminal, it is not difficult for the connection to become loose. If you have two, well... maybe (and if the valve is a Taco 570, it's not quite so bad). If you have three? Not so much. The problem is that even one loose connection will drop the voltage along the chain, and more than one... and the last valve on the chain just doesn't get the voltage it needs.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Zman
  • Zman
    Options

Zman. Do these controllers install at the boiler? I'll take a picture of my rats nest but I don't see how either of these would work . 

Thanks 

If you type @red69viper the person gets an alert.

We love pictures. What you are describing is a pretty typical situation. As long as all the parts are in the boiler room it should work fine.
    Albert Einstein
  • Dave H_2
    Dave H_2 Member Posts: 556
    Options
    It can't get any easier than this, thermostat wire goes to the top, the zone valve wire goes to the corresponding terminal at the bottom.

The ZVC controller is your transformer, interface and relay all in one box. Yes, ideally it should be in the boiler room, but they can be installed anywhere as long as you have the wire to run from here to the boiler.

This pic shows the circulator wired here, but I suspect the circ is already wired in, if so, you don't need to move it.

Dave H.
    Dave H
    Zman
  • red69viper
    Options
    Jamie Hall , that is exactly how it is wired.  Sorry about nomenclature, but I consider wiring like that is series. And I have 6 valves , and the 6th one tends to stop working.  I would guarantee wires get loose with two or three wire leads under each screw terminal 
  • red69viper
    Options
    This is the rats nest I am taking about 
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Options
    They're not wired in series for power. You're talking about the end switches, which is correct. If you're not putting in a zone panel, switch the transformer to a 24 volt, 75VA transformer.
    steve
  • Zman
    Options
    What you have is all wired in parallel, it is just daisy-chained in parallel like a wire running from one receptacle to the next.

Yours would be a perfect application for a zone controller. Get yourself a roll of 4 wire, some zip ties, and a zone controller, and clean that mess up :).
    Albert Einstein
    Ironman
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,441
    Options
    Those Taco 570's, thermo heat motors, gobble up a lot of Volt/Amps. As said, you just may need a bigger transformer, at least in the 75 VA range.
  • red69viper
    Options
    Zman  daisy chained in parallel, isn't that just in series. I have a tech come out, they u stalked a few sections of 4 wire and new igniters.  Hopefully that solves the issue. If not I'll see about a controller . Thanks 
  • Zman
    Options
    Daisy chained in parallel is parallel. Series is something altogether different. It is common to see aquastats and safeties wired in series so that all devices need to agree before the appliance will fire. Most other wiring is in parallel.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbocWMTmPK8
    Albert Einstein