Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Tenant overfilled boiler

So we have an old couple that decided to fill "just a little " water in one of our rentals boiler earlier. So upon entry I saw that the boiler was shut down with pilot out. I drained about 12 gallons out to the fill line! I also saw that a rad on 2nd floor was leaking through the ceiling the plumber who went over our rentals said everything was snug?! Anyhow this is a one piped steam gas system with an old Peerless boiler. I re lit the pilot tighten everything.  No leaks running good. Question,  why did it not shut off and why the leak upstairs? Pressure? Weakest kink? Anything I should do besides the steps above thanks ps have a merry Xmas 
Derheatmeister

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    Did they leave the fill valve on or is it leaking by?

Steam can leak through a tiny leak and never be seen. It just evaporates. Over fill the boiler and the leak shows up as water.

Why did the pilot go out? I hope the boiler is not leaking down on the pilot?

There is no control that will shut down the boiler because of overfilling unless it trips the pressure control.
    ethicalpaul
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,572
    Some vents will not close on water too so it could have just come out of the vent. Could you see that water out the pilot out and where it came from? Some main vents also will not close on water so that is a possibility for the pilot.
  • hankwylerjr
    hankwylerjr Member Posts: 124
    No they claimed to turn the water ball valve to fill it on and off shortly after. I suspect that because of their age they were just trying to keep the glass tube full at all times. I told them not to touch it unless the boiler shuts down. I live close so its nothing for me to stop by however one time this year it did shut down I think its from that lose rad. The leak was in a small rad upstairs and I snugged it up. I think that the water was escaping the system from there. No the water didn't put out the pilot to my knowledge. Although I couldn't believe how much that holds 12 gallons or so.The pressure control didnt work to shut it down at least when I got there it was still on. Maybe something faulty. The main vent isnt near the boiler and nothing was wet near it. I'm still somewhat confused and still worried that this might happen again....
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,159
    You should be OK, provided that water didn't carry gunk into a vent.

You could try educating your old couple -- in a very positive way -- as to what to look for on the boiler and where the water level should be. Being pre-World War II vintage myself, may I suggest that not all old folks are doddering idiots...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    CLamb
  • hankwylerjr
    @Jamie Hall I'm going to replace some of the vents next week so I'll check them for blocks. I already went over and explained where it needs to be and not saying there are idiots they probably shouldn't be tinkering with the boiler as they aren't familiar with it. 
  • Dan_NJ
    Dan_NJ Member Posts: 247
    You could put an auto feed on it and just take the water level question off the table altogether.
    JohnNYHap_Hazzard
  • hankwylerjr
    Just worried about it failing and a flood in the basement 
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,226

It's not going to fail. It's not going to flood your basement.
    O. M. G.
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
    Dan_NJethicalpaul
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,775

Worry more about the washing machine hose breaking and flooding the basement. Copper pipes rarely break!
    Dan_NJHap_Hazzard
  • hankwylerjr
    edited December 2021
    I'll look into one provide I can install it myself. Plumber wanted $$$ to do it. Any recommendations on one for this unit? Old Peerless probably 15 years old under 200k btu 
  • JakeCK
    JakeCK Member Posts: 1,356
    edited December 2021

I'll look into one provide I can install it myself. Plumber wanted $$$ to do it. Any recommendations on one for this unit? Old Peerless probably 15 years old under 200k btu 

We're not supposed to discuss prices here.

That said that amount for parts and the time for a licensed, insured, trained, and experienced person to save you the hassle is not a bad trade off.

Just sayin'
    Erin Holohan Haskell
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,159
    Seems to me you have several choices here. Decide the old folks can understand and maintain a boiler. You might be surprised. Decide to prevent them from ever filling it, and have them call you at oh dark hundred in a blizzard on low water. Have them decide to call their son-in-law, who is a lawyer, at oh dark hundred in a blizzard, who will get it fixed and sue you for damages. Find a good plumber and pony up to have an automatic feeder installed.

Tanke you pick...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,775
    You didn’t say where this rental is located but many jurisdictions require the landlord to supply minimum heat. Being an elderly couple may have other rules and regulations. 

Let the plumber install the feed valve. 

Consider getting a service contract. 
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,694
    Take the handle off the feed valve?
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
    hankwylerjr
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    Hydrolevel VXT is the best feeder. No reason you couldn't install it if you can sweat copper. You will need a backflow preventer as well
    hankwylerjrHap_Hazzard
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 1,951
    JohnNY said:
    It's not going to fail. It's not going to flood your basement. O. M. G.
    I typically have 1 or 2 customers a year, whose feeder fails to seat properly. Fills boiler, rads.... I tell customers to avoid feeders unless they are in situations like this or if they travel in the winter. 
    hankwylerjr
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,572
    pecmsg said:

You didn’t say where this rental is located but many jurisdictions require the landlord to supply minimum heat. Being an elderly couple may have other rules and regulations. 

Let the plumber install the feed valve. 

Consider getting a service contract. 
    Usually require you be licensed to do work in rental housing too.
    pecmsgrealliveplumber
  • JDHW
    JDHW Member Posts: 72
    Interesting comments re hoses to appliances. I have a Bosch dishwasher and the water feed is really unusual. There is fixed translucent host permanently connected to the appliance, this hose has some wires inside it. There is a valve assembly that connects to the supply bib. Seems to ensure that the supply hose is not pressurised when appliance is switched off! Work well enough until it goes wrong then the hose change is much more involved.

John
  • Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846

Hydrolevel VXT is the best feeder. No reason you couldn't install it if you can sweat copper. You will need a backflow preventer as well

I second this recommendation.

Make sure you install the isolation and bypass valves so the feeder can be removed for service without shutting down the boiler. Cutting this corner will come back and bite you every time.
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
    hankwylerjr
  • hankwylerjr
    I see they are reasonably priced. Some on here know but those who don't know I pipe fitted for several years in my younger years and I should be able to sweat it and get it connected without much effort providing the wiring isn't too advanced. In our area a license isn't required to install a a feeder on our rental. Thanks for the help much appreciated