Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

rad noises

GW
GW Member Posts: 4,691
Gotta nice older couple in a new home, steam system is kinda blah, no main vents. Anyway I can't put my finger on the slight 'pinging' noises happening at the rads. It's like a very dull guitar string: it kinda 'pings' then there's an immediate trailing off sound (hence the guitar reference). It's not loud but it is certainly noticeable. Thanks for any tips
Gary Wilson
Wilson Services, Inc
Northampton, MA
gary@wilsonph.com

Comments

• neilc
    neilc Member Posts: 2,689
    milk jug the feet and the pipe thru the floor?
    known to beat dead horses
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,160
    ^^^ or a loose tension rod?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • GW
     Sorry, I don’t understand a milk jug reference. But yes, pipe through the floor 

also, the steam system is original to the house, then it was converted to a two family—-they yanked the steam on the first floor. Now, it’s a one family again, and the steam is only on the second floor. Boiler piping seems OK. boiler size seems OK.
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,160
    Pieces of milk jug, @GW . The plastic gallon size. They go under the feet of the radiator to help it slide across the floor as it expands or contracts. You can also use pieces of it to shim between the pipes where they come through the floor, if they are touching.

I guarantee nothing... but it sometimes works
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    mattmia2Alan (California Radiant) ForbesGWethicalpaul
  • GW
    Ahh ok lil sliders. 
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    edited November 2021
    Ptch is the only thing I can think of but you probably checked that already
    GW
  • GW
    Ed the Radiators are pitching correctly. It’s not loud but it has a bit of a twang, I’ve never heard this before
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    I have noticed that column radiators that are not connected across the top with nipples will "Ping" or "Clack" due to expansion as they heat up.

Once hot they are nearly quiet.
    GW
  • GW
    Thanks J I’ll pay more attention to the types of rads 
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,572
    You could try to make the run shorter, more frequent cycles so they don't heat and cool as much
    GW
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722
    JUGHNE said:

I have noticed that column radiators that are not connected across the top with nipples will "Ping" or "Clack" due to expansion as they heat up.

Once hot they are nearly quiet.

The one in my bedroom does this. I've contemplated tightening the tie rods to see if that helps, but the thought of breaking something scares me. lol Mine does it, to a lesser extent, when cooling as well.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15