Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Triangle Tube Reviews

MPanutich
MPanutich Member Posts: 3
I am considering replacing my 22 year old boiler. My local contractor has recommended a Triangle Tube high efficiency natural gas boiler. But the online review are primarily negative. Does Triangle Tube make a good product? Is it better than Bosch or Lennox?
kschins

Comments

• unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    edited July 2020
    The new instinct from TT has a 8-1 turn down.

https://www.triangletube.com/products/residential-products/condensing-solo-boilers

I have not installed the new product but I have had no problems with the older lines.
    ZmanKennyCatbox
  • MPanutich
    MPanutich Member Posts: 3
    Thanks everyone for your comments. Very helpful.
  • KennyCatbox
    KennyCatbox Member Posts: 15
    f I had to chose between a free Bosch boiler or a Triangle tube boiler at full price, I would pick the Triangle Tube every time
    Zman, that's quite a statement.  Could you please elaborate? I'm actually trying to decide between the two. 
    Thanks
  • KennyCatbox
    edited November 2021

Most homeowner reviews that I have read are owners who are blaming the manufactures for the work of the incompetent contractor they hired. Most of the review websites are sponsored by the manufactures they are reviewing. I generally like the Triangle Tube products. They have fallen behind a bit lately on some the advancements in turndown ratios. Many manufactures are offering 10-1 turndown where Triangle Tube has been stuck at 5.5-1 for quite a while. This may be important to you if you have many small zones. I my area (Central Rockies) they have cut way back on training for contractors. They have lost market share as a result. It is all about hiring the right contractor. Pay attention to what size boiler they are recommending and why. It should be based on the heat loss of the building, not what is presently installed. Be sure they pipe it per the installation manual. I would seriously recommend taking pictures of the contractors work on a recent job and posting it here for an opinion. If I had to chose between a free Bosch boiler or a Triangle tube boiler at full price, I would pick the Triangle Tube every time. The same would be true of an inexperience or incompetent contractor. Do your homework, hire a great contractor, pay a fair price and all will be good.

@Zman, could you please elaborate? I'm actually trying to decide between a Bosch and TT Instinct combi. Thanks
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    Bosch/Buderus entered the condensing boiler market with an aluminum heat exchanger that had a tendency to "self clog" and required extensive maintenance. When the boiler failed, the manufacture offered very little support. You literally could not give them away to folks that have had that experience

The majority of the condensing boilers on the market have stainless steel heat exchangers in either a firetube or water tube design.

What area of the country are you in? What are reputable contractors recommending? You might take a look at Lochinvar or IBC if they have a strong presence in your region.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • KennyCatbox
    edited November 2021
    Zman said:
    Bosch/Buderus entered the condensing boiler market with an aluminum heat exchanger that had a tendency to "self clog" and required extensive maintenance. When the boiler failed, the manufacture offered very little support. You literally could not give them away to folks that have had that experience The majority of the condensing boilers on the market have stainless steel heat exchangers in either a firetube or water tube design. What area of the country are you in? What are reputable contractors recommending? You might take a look at Lochinvar or IBC if they have a strong presence in your region.
    Hi, thanks for your response. 
    3 different and reputable companies have each recommended 
    1. Navien ( no way) or Bosch;
    2. IBC
    3. Triangle Tube.

TT: Great warranty on paper, but I've read a bunch of complaints about TT not honoring warranty issues
    But I've also seen similar on IBC.

I've also read everyone's comments on importance of good install.
    Locally, the TT dealer is better than IBC dealer.  Is that enough to go with TT?
    Also, TT is HQ in NJ.
    Any feedback much appreciated 

• Zman
    The IBC SL series and the Triangle Tube have very similar designs. Go with the contractor you are most comfortable with.
    Ask the contractors if the installation will be in strict accordance with the manufactures written instructions.
    Also, ask if they will provide a complete startup report including a combustion analysis printout.
    Albert Einstein
    KennyCatbox
  • KennyCatbox
    Hmmmm...so what to do? IBC DC series or TT Instinct? Seriously considering both, trying to decide...any more feedback, pos/neg?
    Seems like TT better turndown ratio ( 8:1 vs 17:1; GPM (5 vs 3.2), and warranty...local dealer gets 7 years parts AND labor.
    IBC unit has 2 in 1 design in cast aluminum heatX, but TT has SS heat X.
    * TT installer is big, reputable company; IBC not as much.
    TT  made in Belgium,  but based in NJ( I'm in NY); IBC in Canada. 
    Does any of this matter? Am I overthinking this?
    Appreciate any feedback.
    TIA
  • Zman
    The IBC SL series would be my suggestion, I am not familiar with the HX in the DC.
    TT warranty requires combustion analysis.
    Albert Einstein
    KennyCatbox
  • psb75
    psb75 Member Posts: 828
    This forum generally says: its mostly about your service person. Their choice, should greatly influence YOUR choice.
    KennyCatbox
  • KennyCatbox
    Zman said:
    The IBC SL series and the Triangle Tube have very similar designs. Go with the contractor you are most comfortable with. Ask the contractors if the installation will be in strict accordance with the manufactures written instructions. Also, ask if they will provide a complete startup report including a combustion analysis printout.
    TheZman said:
    The IBC SL series would be my suggestion, I am not familiar with the HX in the DC. TT warranty requires combustion analysis.
    So, TT will first analyze combustion to make sure it's nor a water or installation issue?

The IBC SL isn't a combi unit. But looks solid. The DC series has Stainless steel HX.
    Turndown and GPM are better with the TT, as is the warranty ...?
  • KennyCatbox
    psb75 said:
    This forum generally says: its mostly about your service person. Their choice, should greatly influence YOUR choice.
    Yes. And the Triangle Tube  company has a huge customer base up here and provide very reliable service.  I feel the installation will be done right, as this is the one brand they install. Plus, if there are any issues after installation,  they have great customer service,  and seems like they would work with TT to make it right.

Then I checked BBB....
    TT has horrendous rating, and IBC great. Ugh. This is tough. **** to do?
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes Member Posts: 3,979
    edited November 2021
    Yes. And the Triangle Tube company has a huge customer base up here and provide very reliable service. I feel the installation will be done right, as this is the one brand they install. Plus, if there are any issues after installation, they have great customer service, and seems like they would work with TT to make it right.
    Based on what you said here, I'd stick with TT.

I've installed many of TT's Prestige Solo and Excellence boilers over the years until TT dropped my local wholesaler for greener pastures and IBC became their new boiler line. This was before they came out with the Instinct, so I haven't tried them out. IBC makes great boilers as well, but I think - other than the BBB ratings - your choice is obvious, no?

8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • Zman
    This is the first time you mentioned that you are looking for a combi. That is one of the hazards of hijacking existing posts I suppose. I have no experience with IBC combis.
    I am surprised the BBB is willing to give any company a bad review, my experience with the BBB is they are just a marketing company, kind of like Yelp.
    Triangle Tube requires that the contractor performs a combustion analysis when they install the boiler in order to get the longer warranty. The installer should be doing that anyway.
    Albert Einstein
  • KennyCatbox
    edited November 2021
    Just found another local HVAC company , huge reputation,  45 yrs , and they install Lennox and Lochnivar. The latter seems to be the unanimous #1 choice on the forums.
    So...they're closed until Monday...we have not had hot water for 2 weeks....
    I could call for the Triangle Tube installation today, and they can install  Tuesday or Wednesday. 
    Do I wait  for the Lochinvar,  which means calling Monday,  getting sales rep here, then the install...could be well after Thanksgiving....
    Is the Lochinvar Noble Fire that much better than the Triangle Tube Instinct?
    TIA
  • ...we havhad hot water for 2 weeks....
    Why not?

• KennyCatbox
    edited November 2021
    ...we havhad hot water for 2 weeks....
    Why not?
     Our oid Buderus wall mount finally died. Looking for replacement  in a combi unit....see above posts
  • Zman
    Given the situation you are in, the Triangle Tube should serve you well.

This site is more about looking at your system "holistically" and helping you make the best choice rather than a generic product review site.

In hindsight, you would have been better served to start a new post detailing your needs.
    How do you know the combi will provide adequate DHW? Is it sized correctly for your heating needs? Are the existing gas line and vent adequate?
    Albert Einstein
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
  • KennyCatbox
    Zman said
    This site is more about looking at your system "holistically" and helping you make the best choice rather than a generic product review site. In hindsight, you would have been better served to start a new post detailing your needs. 
    Gotcha. Thank you, again, for all of the feedback.

• TonyPipes
    TonyPipes Member Posts: 5
    Zman said:
    Bosch/Buderus entered the condensing boiler market with an aluminum heat exchanger that had a tendency to "self clog" and required extensive maintenance. When the boiler failed, the manufacture offered very little support. You literally could not give them away to folks that have had that experience The majority of the condensing boilers on the market have stainless steel heat exchangers in either a firetube or water tube design. What area of the country are you in? What are reputable contractors recommending? You might take a look at Lochinvar or IBC if they have a strong presence in your region.
    Hi, thanks for your response. 
    3 different and reputable companies have each recommended 
    1. Navien ( no way) or Bosch;
    2. IBC
    3. Triangle Tube.

TT: Great warranty on paper, but I've read a bunch of complaints about TT not honoring warranty issues
    But I've also seen similar on IBC.

I've also read everyone's comments on importance of good install.
    Locally, the TT dealer is better than IBC dealer.  Is that enough to go with TT?
    Also, TT is HQ in NJ.
    Any feedback much appreciated 

Hey I saw you said no way for the navien. So I'm going to start off with first of all every high efficiency equipment wether it be a tankless, boiler or combi unit all have their fair share of problems. I've recently fell in love with the burnham k2 tankless equipment. Burnham is a company that's been around since before I was born and has a excellent reputation. As far as service they really made it SUPER easy to service. I install tons of navien and have had some issues but triangle tubes have their fair share of problems and isn't the easiest to work on. Navien customer support is great and their warranties are excellent. No questions asked, they have to do a few things to confirm what is wrong and they over night what ever the parts are and have had no issues sending me extra parts to change just because I was already pulling it apart. So I personally have no complaints about navien, easy to install easy to troubleshoot and service. The k2 burnhams are by far the easiest to service out of any tankless/high efficiency equipment I've ever came across. The tankless is on a track, so you open the front of the jacket and the whole guts of the unit slide out like a draw and you can get to everything to inspect and service. By the way all high efficiency equipment should be serviced every year or every other year depending on your water quality. It will definitely help the life of your unit and the overall quality of your experience with it.
    KennyCatbox
  • KennyCatbox
    Thanks for your response.
    Any issues with Navien CO leaks,  or the black gunk residue forming inside?
    I heard they addressed some issues like 6 months ago and have manufactured new units,.
    Yeah, I am still  considering the Navien 240.
    Excellent turndown ratio and GPM.
    10 yr HX; 5 yr parts; 1 yr labor.

• DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,513
    I started this site. I know that the installing contractor is key to every job. When we needed a new boiler, I called a contractor I have known for years. I told him we needed a boiler. Marianne and I went off to Cape May for a week. The job was done when we got home. I never asked them what they were going to install, or how much it was going to cost. I trusted them and got out of their way. I could not be happier with the results.
    Retired and loving it.
    ZmanKennyCatboxRobert O'Brienkcopp
  • RDH007
    RDH007 Member Posts: 4
    Looking for a service tech in south shore Massachusetts for triangle tube challenger combo. Having dhw issue with the unit. Unit no longer seems to know when water has been turned off - temp reading stays on until I have to manually turn off. I assume it’s a flow check sensor or some such thing but am not qualified to assess. Any help greatly appreciated.
  • pedmec
    pedmec Member Posts: 959
    my recommendation would be to hire the right contractor. most of the issues with high efficiency equipment is poor installation practices. its not just piping. its installing the vent correctly, proper sized circulators, and combustion analysis to name a few that most installers mess up that lead to issues causing premature failure.

most manufacturers equipment installed correctly will operate pretty well after installation provided annual maintenance is done. this is not to say there isn't lemons out there. poorly installed equipment will cause the flaws to show themselves while other higher quality equipment will handle poorly installed equipment longer.

i cant speak for these two company boilers as i don't have any experience with them. i prefer to use lochinvar because the controls are user friendly, parts are readily available, and tech support is pretty good, with parts availability a must
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,162
    This ^^^^ and @DanHolohan 's comment above.

All the major manufacturers make decent equipment. The one significant variation among them, so far as equipment goes, is how far they push the engineering envelope. The problems which people have with this brand or that one are, probably at least 90% of the time, directly attributable to the installer not doing as good a job as they might (and the farther the equipment is in terms of complexity the more true this is) or the customer failing to maintain or use the equipment correctly.

This is perhaps easier to see for most of us in terms of cars. Almost all the major brands have pretty decent cars out there. They differ in terms of bells and whistles, but they're all pretty decent. None of them will withstand abuse from the driver much better than another -- in fact, the more refined they are, the more tender loving care they need (think, for instance, the care needed by a Ferrari vs. the care needed by a Ford). I can think of two major models (both by the same manufacturer) which required a little more TLC than most cars made at the time -- not much, but a little. One in terms of maintenance, one in terms of driving capability. Both died. One, because drivers complained when it failed after they didn't maintain it. The other because an utterly incompetent driver with a law degree and a knack for publicity killed it after he wrecked one driving too fast. The fault of the machine? No. The fault of the manufacturer? No.

So... don't complain about this boiler or that one until you are sure that it was installed and maintained correctly.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • boileruser
    boileruser Member Posts: 1
    Do not get a Triangle Tube. We have suffered through ten years of breakdowns and unreliability with what was supposed to be a great boiler. The pump broke on the coldest night of the year when the boiler was five years old, we had to replace the circuit board two years later and now the induction motor is fried. Our service person advised us, based on his years of experience with boilers and TT in particular, to NOT replace the motor because at ten years old the boiler will just need more parts in the coming years. It's in pieces on the floor and will be replaced by another brand asap. The service people also complained about TT support of their products.
    STEVEusaPA
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,022
    When it comes to longevity, fill water quality has a lot to say.
    Follow the manufacturer’s water spec. Chlorides can be tough on stainless, and any welds in the machine
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • @boileruser We have a lot of TT boilers here in the Bay Area and my experience is not the same as yours. Technical support is excellent and you're not kept on hold for a long time. After many years, the same guys are still there.
    As far as the inducer fan, I've only had to replace one. While not my favorite boiler, the Prestige line has stood the test of time.