Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Kewanee Cottage Boiler

tmb1103
tmb1103 Member Posts: 10
Our home was built in 1950, and I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if the house was built around the boiler lol! 

Unfortunately I don’t know much about boiler heating, as it is something that I never grew up with. The boiler worked phenomenally for three years with no trouble— our house was so toasty during those bitter Midwestern winters! This past winter we were unable to keep the flame going. My husband would light the pilot and it would go out within hours or overnight…and eventually within a half hour; and we would awaken as popsicles…our local HVAC companies are baffled that we still have this beasty in our home. For as historic as our town is, you’d think old boilers wouldn’t be uncommon in older homes…

I guess what I’m wondering…is it worth investing the small fortune for a new HVAC company to look at our boiler/manage repairs/maintenance to keep our boiler in our home? Or should I start looking into something newer? Pardon my ignorance, I just know very little about boiler heat. 

I did a bit of research and found a few people who have interest in buying and refurbishing boilers to sell…wasn’t sure if there was a niche interest in the Kewanee Boiler Corporation

I only have one image for now— my apologies.

Comments

• tmb1103
    Found another picture from when we moved in:

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    There is no reason that a qualified contractor can't make that boiler run ....unless their is some part on it that is bad an no longer available.

That being said, a 70 year old boiler needs to be replaced. Maybe in the "Hot Air Furnace Land " of the mid west boiler technicians are hard to find...I don't know I am on the east coast.

Post where you are located and someone on this forum may know someone or make a recommendation.

It would have been easier on you if you had started this journey sooner winter is fast approaching
    Ironmanmattmia2tmb1103
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    Your issue could be something as simple as replacing the thermocouple which is a very inexpensive part. Has that been done?
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    tmb1103
  • tmb1103
    @Ironman Not that I am aware of! I have been in contact with a company recently who keeps telling me how expensive these parts are and keeps trying to get us to upgrade, so I’m considering consulting elsewhere. 

I’m going to ask another company that has been around a bit longer and is family-owned to see if they are more willing to work on our boiler and not charge us $2,000 to step foot in our house. 😔
  • tmb1103
    @EBEBRATT-Ed I’ve been on this journey since April of this year. Unfortunately with my occupation and my husband’s being in fields that are overrun with COVID, it’s been hard to get people in our home between quarantines, companies not going out to homes unless emergencies, both of us working OT in a jail and a nursing home…a lot of our back and forth have been emails, phone calls, and texts. 

Central Illinois, about an hour and a half south of Chicago in Pontiac. 

• pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,775
    Start with the contractor servicing the jail and hospital. If they don’t do residential they may know someone n
    tmb1103
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    edited October 2021
    @tmb1103

Understood. Covid has been painful for everyone

there are some contractors from Chicago that hang out here. Check "Find a contractor" on this forum.

Call a contractor listed who is closest to you. If they are too far away they may be able to recommend someone in your area

I think the first company you called is stalling hoping you will bite for the replacement. X them off your list and move on pressure tactics are no good
    mattmia2
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    Agree with @Ironman, it could be as simple as a thermocouple. 
    Even so, the boiler needs a combustion test to make sure it's safe. 
    Also keep in mind, as nice as it looks, its missing modern safeties like spill and rollout switches. 
    tmb1103
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,572
    It looks like it has been retrofitted with a modern gas valve. The parts involved in keeping the pilot lit shouldn't be expensive. Someone who is even minimally qualified to work on gas appliances should be able to figure it out.
    tmb1103
  • tmb1103
    @EBEBRATT-Ed I shall continue the hunt. Thank you for the tip, I will go browse through contractors here! I appreciate you! 
  • tmb1103
    @HVACNUT Yeah, we are still going to keep searching for someone to come service it. I’m crossing my fingers for someone I reached out to in town today! And you have a valid point there…it is just a pain in the wallet considering the cost. But safety greatly outweighs any cost. Thank you for your help!
  • tmb1103
    @mattmia2 I will be sure to ask if I manage to get a call back from the person I reached out to today. Thank you for your input! ☺️
  • tmb1103
    @pecmsg that is a great idea! Thank you! :) 
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    I wonder if that is the smallest boiler Kewanee ever made.

The usual problems with pilot outage on any standing pilot is dirty pilot burner or weak thermocouple.

As long as it holds water the only part that might be irreplaceable would be a unique burner tube or something along that line.

Could we get a better picture of the front burner box?
    Maybe that cover lifts off for better viewing.
    Could be a pump hiding under there?
    You must have a tank hanging at the ceiling?
  • mattmia2
    edited October 2021
    It looks like the return is at the back left corner so I suspect there is a circulator back there somewhere. Doesn't look like the piping is big enough for it to be gravity hot water nor does that supply appear to be in the textbook orientation for gravity circulation.

In fact I think you can see the motor for the ciruclator behind it to the right.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    Imagine the way they made stuff back then. That boiler could last 100 years. I am sure it's a steel boiler as well
  • tmb1103
    Hey all…sorry for the late update. Our boiler is shot to pieces. After three other people came in, they all had the same conclusion. It’s time to put the Kewanee to rest. She’s a safety hazard and will require so much patching it’s not even worth the fix. Thank you all for all of your input. I appreciate you more than you know! @mattmia2 @EBEBRATT-Ed @JUGHNE @HVACNUT @pecmsg @Ironman
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    edited October 2021
    @tmb1103 Thanks for the update!! Post a few pics of the completed job
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    Please feel free to ask more questions about what your contractors are proposing. Finding the right one is the most important part of this process.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    Erin Holohan Haskellmattmia2Canucker
  • mattmia2
    i still can't imagine what could be wrong with it that isn't an easy fix that doesn't involve water all over the floor. i suppose it could have a ceramic type combustion chamber that is collapsing.
  • tmb1103
    edited November 2021
    another update!!

As said, hubby and I are still new to the boiler world, so we’ve been researching a bit as the contractors have come in…and we realize that we’ve been strung along a bit by some crazy quotes. 

we realize that good work comes at a price and cheap doesn’t always mean well-done or safe, but after three quotes of $$$$ plus, we  finally tracked down the oldest fellow still in business in the area. He had been slam packed with business and not taking new customers. I can now see why, but the wait was worth it.

I’m not sure how…but for $$$ he has our boiler RUNNING!!! It was a bad thermocouple…I could KISS that Kewanee! And Smith Brothers Plumbing!! He says it should last a year, too! Like the others, he says that it does need replaced at SOME POINT, but we are in no immediate danger and if the part doesn’t last six months he will come back in and charge for the part replacement only (no labor). He also is going to put us in touch with a fellow who collects old boilers (some he refurbishes and sells, others he keeps for historical sentiment). 

And lastly…he quoted us $$$$ for a brand new more energy efficient boiler. My jaw DROPPED! We were being quoted for top of the line boilers for two story homes…we are in a little AT MOST 1300sqft bungalow.

I’m so glad we did not just jump and spend a bunch of money at first quote. As soon as we get her replaced, I’ll gladly update with photos! @mattmia2 @Ironman @EBEBRATT-Ed

PC7060Ironmanbucksnort
  • JakeCK
    JakeCK Member Posts: 1,356
    Thats good news.

Might want to remove the prices. Against the rules to post those due to anti-competition laws. 
    Erin Holohan Haskell
  • Gilmorrie
    Gilmorrie Member Posts: 185
    Your Kewanee boiler should last indefinitely. Mine is 70 years old. The things that normally go wrong are separate from the main boiler itself. Forget the outfits that wanted you to replace the boiler when all it needed was a $5 thermocouple. Pay the person who solved your problem to return once a year and inspect the system. You should routinely inspect every few weeks for any leaks - and get them fixed promptly.
    dennis53
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    Was a combustion test done?
    Draft?
    If you plan on keeping it, I would at least add a spill switch to the circuit. And a Rollout switch if there's a feasible place to install one.
    Do you have a CO detector? Not trying to scare you because you should have at least one regardless of equipment. 
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    Keep it simple stupid prevails once again. I have been called in on so many boilers and furnaces that many have said need replaced. Many times it is something simple like a thermocouple.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    Unless the HX s leak or a carbon monoxide problem or a part you can't get you can almost always get them safely running
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    edited November 2021
    @Ironman said

""Your issue could be something as simple as replacing the thermocouple which is a very inexpensive part. Has that been done?"

How true
    PC7060
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,276
    JakeCK said:

Thats good news.

Might want to remove the prices. Against the rules to post those due to anti-competition laws.

Pricing removed. Thank you!
    President
    HeatingHelp.com