Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New Category for the Wall-Thermostats

STEVEusaPA
STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
edited November 2021 in Thermostats and Controls
I wonder if we need a new category just for thermostats, specifically anything wifi, 'C wire'.
It seems we are getting alot of posters about that, and the Nest.
Might be nice to put all the info, all the diagrams, and pdf's regarding adding a transformer/C wire, resistors, wiring diagrams, troubleshooting, etc. Maybe as stickies at the top of the Category.
Maybe people coming to the site can find info faster, and avoid repeating posts.
Although most people don't search, they just post...
What say ye...Wallies and admins?
steve
mattmia2ZmanErin Holohan Haskell

Comments

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,572
    I've tried to search for stuff i knew was here and usually failed. I'd end up using google to find it on here.
    MikeAmann
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    @STEVEusaPA

That's a good idea! Then the information will be in one place and not repeated. We can direct the OP to the right spot. Nest's belong in their own special spot :) LOL

Then we can do it for:

Mod Con Versus CI
    How to remove old pipe fittings
    How to teach your installer to.................read the boiler manual
    PC7060CanuckerMikeAmann
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,615
    Maybe just a repository for knowledge. In light of that, I've just found a rather comprehensive manual for Honeywell's 8000 series of thermostats, including a description of how the cycles-per-hour work, along with details of the more obscure settings.
    mattmia2
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    I was about to post a question concerning the TH8321R1001/U.

This seems like a good first inquiry for the new category.

Can this stat be effective as a 2 stage for 2 steam boilers connected as multi boilers to a 2 pipe system.

Would like both to fire in the morning after some setback and then have #2 drop out and back in as needed.

Or would it be not effective for this application.
    Want to use a single remote indoor sensor.
    Programable for 7 day programing.
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,615
    I would think so. There are a number of knobs to adjust the differential & timing of bringing on second stage, seems like enough flexibility to make it work.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    Ratio, thanks for the PDF info.
    Will look more at it tomorrow.
    I will call the counter guy who sold it and see if he can explain more....and actually guarantee it will do the 2 stage feature.
    I have the stat here but do not want to install unless he is sure of it's application.
    It would be hard to return if it has been installed.
    I have the batteries installed and have been playing with it.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,583
    I wish we had sticky threads here...
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    PC7060
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,276
    edited November 2021
    Great suggestions. Thanks! I've change the name of our Controls category to Controls and Thermostats and will move this post over there.

We have a Systems Help Center with a category on HVAC Thermostats and Controls.

We can fill this with more information and include a sticky post about it on The Wall category. I've added that Honeywell manual. Please share anything else you think we should add to this knowledge base.

Thank you!
    President
    HeatingHelp.com
    ratioMikeAmannkcopp
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    For Stickies I would put up the pdfs. The one from EK about power stealing thermostats. I think Taco has a few too, and either a pdf or the article from @Robert O'Brien about using the Kool kit or the AC Ready Kit as a quick and easy way to add a transformer, relay & C wire.
    steve
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,276
    Thanks, @STEVEusaPA. We'll work on this.
    President
    HeatingHelp.com