Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Draining

fxrgrunt
fxrgrunt Member Posts: 157
edited October 2021 in Strictly Steam
Would it have made sense for this drain pipe to have a T and then an elbow with full port valve vs being reduced down to 3/4? I know this works fine but I am wondering if the increased flow makes more sense. Thanks.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,276
    That hose bibb -- which is going to be mighty handy -- has more restriction than pretty much any combination of fittings you could squeeze in there.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    fxrgrunt
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,517
    Its not adding any restriction to the return. You could take the tee off and reinstall it with the valve on the bottom where the muck will collect
    fxrgrunt
  • fxrgrunt
    That hose bibb -- which is going to be mighty handy -- has more restriction than pretty much any combination of fittings you could squeeze in there.
    Is the restriction good or bad?
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,842
    What restriction?
  • fxrgrunt
    pecmsg said:
    What restriction?
    I was quoting what Jamie said about the hose bib having restriction.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,060
    I have been called to service old boilers, water and steam, also water heater tanks which have boiler drains like that.
    By the time someone calls the entire system had been neglected.
    Those drains would not pass anything. Back flushing them with house pressure might get them open enough to drain the boiler/tank. But they will not pass the sludge solids that might be present.

After all that hassle, I would remove the toy drain bib and install a 3/4" ball valve with hose adaptor.
    At least with the full port straight shot one could probe inside with a wire to break up sludge.
    Never get a wire thru those hose bibs.

So if there is an annual or bi-annual service visit then draining will be accomplished. It is easy to ignore this process if it is not easy.
    fxrgruntLarry Weingarten
  • PC7060
    PC7060 Member Posts: 1,157
    Sounds like a complete plan. Flip the tee like @EBEBRATT-Ed recommended. Then buy the valve @mattmia2 provide like to and configure per @JUGHNE.  

What a team. :smile:
    fxrgrunt
  • fxrgrunt
    PC7060 said:
    Sounds like a complete plan. Flip the tee like @EBEBRATT-Ed recommended. Then buy the valve @mattmia2 provide like to and configure per @JUGHNE.  

What a team. :smile:
    That's why I love the forum. People aren't in here for the wrong reasons and are always helping others.
    Erin Holohan HaskellPC7060