Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

LP gas regulator questions

Browndog
Browndog Member Posts: 2
I am installing a 60,000 BTU 95 percent efficient furnace in my well insulated shop. I have a 100 gal tank to run off of. My question is do I just need to install a low pressure regulator between the tank(outside) and the furnace or do I need to put a high pressure regulator and then a low pressure one? Thanks in advance for helping!!

Comments

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    Not positive but I think you'll only need a second regulator if pressure is over 15" wc lockup. Check the furnace manual. 
    You will need the LPG conversion kit for the furnace (gas valve regulator and orifices), then check/adjust manifold pressure and do a combustion test. 

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    You need a two stage regulator if the gas line is run directly to the tank.
    I must warn that if you don’t know this that you really shouldn’t attempt doing gas work. Let the propane company do that part: they know the necessary ins and outs of setting up everything and the have the tools to do so.
    Propane is not something for the DIYer to be doing.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    Derheatmeisterpecmsg
  • Browndog
    Browndog Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the replys! The furnace has been converted and it states 8-13 inches water column. I know how to hook everything up and leak test just wondering about the regulator. I know it needs a low pressure one but not sure if it needs stepping down from a high pressure one first or not.
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    Generally, this is either stepped down to low pressure at the tank (1 regulator) or it is stepped to 10PSI at the tank then down to low pressure at the house (2 regulators). Which way it is done is determined by the load and the size and length of the pipe.
    Gas companies will usually set this up at little or no cost.

"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein