Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Today’s steam job

GW
GW Member Posts: 4,691
Plus a redo of some nasty gas mains

electrician shows up and after looking for the line voltage for 25 seconds, we’re like o snap it was a millivolt.😀

the copper drop with the feeder got repurposed, just tossed in a backflow 

Gary Wilson
Wilson Services, Inc
Northampton, MA
gary@wilsonph.com
delcrossvethicalpaulHVACNUTIronmanErin Holohan Haskell

Comments

• DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,513
    Pretty as a sweet-sixteen party!
    Retired and loving it.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    Utica out Utica in. Looks good!!
  • GW
    Thanks guys long day and no lunch, I was hangry at the end of the day :):) Almost didn't pressurize the gas but i did, almost didn't skim the boiler but i did, almost didn't set the dips on the existing feeder but I did, all good now.
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
    Intplm.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    Is that you carrying that WH tank....probably still full of water....show off!!

So Utica allows only one 2 1/2" side outlet? Looks like a small boiler.
    GW
  • GW
    That water heater was the lightest 30 gallon tank I’ve ever had the pleasure of carrying. It was a featherweight. 

I race motorcycles in the spring, but this year I kept on going to the gym, there’s more to the story, but that’s the snapshot

The boiler is a 112.  2 inch toppings. i’m just reading the manual, I’m generally not adding more diameter and more risers than what the manual calls for. I realize that’s not cool with some of the steam folks. 
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,574
    Usually the 20 years of minerals and sludge that won't drain out is the heavy part.
    delcrossvCanuckerIntplm.
  • GW
    How true is that 
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    @GW
    I never had one that I piped to the minimum not work
    GW
  • GW
    Ed yes we all get to drive our own bus. I’ve got things to do and people to see 
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722
    GW said:

That water heater was the lightest 30 gallon tank I’ve ever had the pleasure of carrying. It was a featherweight. 

I race motorcycles in the spring, but this year I kept on going to the gym, there’s more to the story, but that’s the snapshot

The boiler is a 112.  2 inch toppings. i’m just reading the manual, I’m generally not adding more diameter and more risers than what the manual calls for. I realize that’s not cool with some of the steam folks. 
    It's cool with me, puts you leaps and bounds beyond a lot of steam systems we've seen. Keep up the good work!
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    GW
  • Canucker
    Canucker Member Posts: 722
    mattmia2 said:
    Usually the 20 years of minerals and sludge that won't drain out is the heavy part.
    They don't last 20 years where I live. Still heavy though
    You can have it good, fast or cheap. Pick two
  • The Steam Whisperer
    The Steam Whisperer Member Posts: 1,215
    I agree I tend to stick with minimums too, with the exception of drop headers.... the drop makes the job go easier, so I figure the customer gets a better set up at about the same cost as not using a drop header. Also we use all standardized piping layouts for near boiler piping ( with a few rate exceptions). so sometimes they may get a big bigger header than is minimum, but it saves hours of piping layout and installation, so again customer comes out ahead without any real increase in cost. I looked at using Uticas as our lower cost boiler line since they really seem to last ( to replace the Burnham casting models that rot out so early), but they are no longer available in Chicago... only thier sister company Dunkirk and Dunkirks are now so expensive, that if you pipe them with the now required dual riser ( except the smallest sizes) they cost about the same as a Peerless.... so no go on the Dunkirks. We are using Slantfins now.

It's really nice to see even a small boiler that replaced like for like to actually get repiped properly... we almost never see that in Chicago. They just hack and slide leaving the messed up piping in place to cost the next owner thousands in extra operating costs. The Southside of Chicago is loaded with home sized Uticas and now they can no longer just hack and slide, so maybe the piping will now get upgraded.
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
    GWdelcrossvPC7060
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    It's a reading & ego problem. Either most installers can't read (doubtful) or think they know everything and don't need to read the manual.
    PC7060GW
  • fxrgrunt
    fxrgrunt Member Posts: 157
    GW said:

Ed yes we all get to drive our own bus. I’ve got things to do and people to see 

Gary,

I shot you a message when you have a moment. Thanks.

Damian
    GW
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,882
    Good looking job. Nice work.
    GW